In's And Out's

AndyRoss

I'd love it if we could get someone in the Rosco style, it might be a bit of a long shot but I think a more creative midfielder is definitely needed. I think Humphrey and Jennings suit the out-and-out winger/midfield hard bastard roles well, but we still don't have a replacement for Hughes (and that's first season Hughes, not second...)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody make it to the training today and see if the two trialists looked the part? Cant remember the names but thought it was today that both came in.

Cheers :woop:

Called by Dalziel Park this morning as I was passing by. I only noticed the striker who's a tall coloured player but he didn't look to hot. He only had a couple of touches in the 30-odd minutes I was watching but he was easily picked up by Craggs.

Jennings looked a tidy player without really doing anything fancy other than put in a lot of work. Humphrey's looks like a real find. As has been mentioned he is pacy but he dribbles with the ball very well and contrary to rumours his final ball was superb with Sutton dispatching from a few tasty crosses.

The first team were also playing a 4-1-4-1 formation this morning with Mark reynolds playing the holding role in front on Craggs and Hutchison in midfield. It was really interesting to watch Gannon at work with Craggs playing the ball out of defence a number of times thanks to space created from the central midfielders. Paul Slane again impressed by making a lot of mazy runs and making a lot of shots from difficult anles which we creeping inside the far post.

but we still don't have a replacement for Hughes (and that's first season Hughes, not second...)

I think hughes was the backbone of that team for the two seasons he was there.Name a better all round player than Stephen.

Called by Dalziel Park this morning as I was passing by. I only noticed the striker who's a tall coloured player but he didn't look to hot. He only had a couple of touches in the 30-odd minutes I was watching but he was easily picked up by Craggs.

Jennings looked a tidy player without really doing anything fancy other than put in a lot of work. Humphrey's looks like a real find. As has been mentioned he is pacy but he dribbles with the ball very well and contrary to rumours his final ball was superb with Sutton dispatching from a few tasty crosses.

The first team were also playing a 4-1-4-1 formation this morning with Mark reynolds playing the holding role in front on Craggs and Hutchison in midfield. It was really interesting to watch Gannon at work with Craggs playing the ball out of defence a number of times thanks to space created from the central midfielders. Paul Slane again impressed by making a lot of mazy runs and making a lot of shots from difficult anles which we creeping inside the far post.

Cheers Dodge - our vey own Water Cronkite

Interesting stuff.

The appraisal off Williams (if that's who the striker is) - ties in with waht the guys who made the Bathgate game were saying.

:woop:

You're taking the piss, surely...!?

No.Stephen was a player that John Boyle shoukd have kept a hold of.We got the money from Clarkson's transfer and a few others in which we could have kept him at the club with.

No.Stephen was a player that John Boyle shoukd have kept a hold of.We got the money from Clarkson's transfer and a few others in which we could have kept him at the club with.

I'm only guessing here daza. But I think Gannon is gonny have a flatter wage structure than some of the guys who have managed us into difficulties. More like McLean and Butcher and less like McLeish, Davies and McGhee.

I think the days of us breaking the bank to keep a player happy are over. The ones that will be here will fit into the structure.

Guys like Hughes and Klimpl don't fit the model anymore in my opinion.

Might be proved wrong - but that's what I'm picking up.

Hughes just didn't deliver consistently enough for the bucks - much as I admire him as a player.

Hughes just didn't deliver consistently enough for the bucks - much as I admire him as a player.

Hughes was a good player but like you said, his return on the field for what he was on a week just wasn't good enough. When we played the tidy, neat football we did in McGhee's first season it actually made him look better than he was. Last year i'd say he was found out really.

For the players we have let go i'd say Clarkson is the only one i would've really kept.

With such little return for such a large wage to keep him, surely its time for him to move on? I for one with gannons record with players would rather see him given Hughes's wage to invest elsewhere! Plus i dont see where he would play in gannons system.

He'd be the guy in the middle of the park knocking the ball out wide to the wingers.

Well if he's gettin paid 2k a week to do just that then we need to question our signing policy - because he doesnt offer a goal threat or defensive option!!

With such little return for such a large wage to keep him, surely its time for him to move on? I for one with gannons record with players would rather see him given Hughes's wage to invest elsewhere! Plus i dont see where he would play in gannons system.

It is gonna be interesting to see where he goes. He has dug himself in to a bit of a hole by saying he wants to stay local. There is rumour of Rangers and it looks as though Hearts don't want him. So if Rangers don't want him what is he gonna do. I still have a feeling he will bite the bullet and join the sheep.

Well if he's gettin paid 2k a week to do just that then we need to question our signing policy - because he doesnt offer a goal threat or defensive option!!

Which is why Hughes wasn't worth the money! I don't expect to have an attacking midfielder scoring 15 goals a season, I do expect him to score more than one league goal a season though! Or to make up for that create more goals than any other player in the team. He couldn't even do that either!

The other thing with regards to Hughes is at the moment, he's not getting a pre-season with anyone. Regardless of where he goes if it doesnt get sorted soon then he's really gonna suffer, particularly as a central midfielder.

Which is why Hughes wasn't worth the money! I don't expect to have an attacking midfielder scoring 15 goals a season, I do expect him to score more than one league goal a season though! Or to make up for that create more goals than any other player in the team. He couldn't even do that either!

Exactly - time to move on! New Manager, New Ideas and New players!

Which takes us back to my original question. Which creative player within our price range will consistently deliver? Or do we not want any creativity in midfield?

I thought it was believed Hughes wasn't in our price range last season or the season before. I thought he was getting paid a little more than our price range?

Before he signed for Midden Dorman was in our price range, what was his goal return from midfield? :woop:

We don't know if O'Brien, or Humphrey or Slane or anyone new who comes in could play in that role and create more goals and even manage to score 2 league goals in a season if given the job...

Which takes us back to my original question. Which creative player within our price range will consistently deliver? Or do we not want any creativity in midfield?

Don't suppose there are that many in our price range. I'd definitely want a creative guy onboard before the season starts though, hopefully a wee gem from the lower leagues of England that enjoys playing for peanuts! :woop: