Stephen Hughes

wellfan29

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the definately the case and MM is aware of this then, in my opinion, he should be dropped for the remainder of the season to give the chance to someone who wants to be at the club.

Where did I put that tin hat? :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll need a tin hat for that one mate. I think most folk agree. if his desire is to play elsewhere next season - he might as well start as soon as.

And if he's undecided I'd say get someone else in until he makes his mind up.

He's put in some great shifts and should be graciously thanked for that. But we've a team to sort out and build for next season - Thanks and Cheerio son.

If McGhee is true to his word then guys like Buzz, Shug and Boab will be nowhere near the team, and young lads like Hutchinson and McHugh will get a chance to play a few games.

Hughes was tremendous last season, some of the best football i have ever seen played in a 'Well strip. However, I dont think he's been anything special this season, I honestly think if Hughes was a part of our team this year the outcome would have been much different. In saying this, I'd still like for him to say, just dont reckon he'd be a huge loss.If he does go, thanks for the great shifts and good luck.

I think Hughes has improved in the later half of the season after a poor start and I gave him my MotM in the last game.

HOWEVER, I'd probably still let him go. I just don't think, if he really is on the kind of wages we hear he is, he gives us enough bang for the bucks.

He's a bit of luxury player, our Barry Ferguson if you like. Nobody is doubting his talent but he just doesn't live up to his potential enough and like Ferguson doesn't seem to have the defence splitting pass or goal scoring ability you are looking for from a modern midfielder. He is good on the ball but then what?

I wouldn't be gutted if he was still with us next season but I do think we could get more for our money and finances are going to be a major factor next season.

If we can get in two hard working midfielders, who will battle hard, score the odd goal and perform consistantly, even if they don't have the same technical ability, in for the same wages as Hughes is currently on that that seems the best course of action.

We need at least one creative midfielder. We already struggled thanks to losing Rosco's creative spark. If we lose Hughes as well, we are running out of options in the "put the foot on the ball" department.

If he does go - I'd rather we replaced him with a footballer, not a clogger.

We need at least one creative midfielder. We already struggled thanks to losing Rosco's creative spark. If we lose Hughes as well, we are running out of options in the "put the foot on the ball" department.

If he does go - I'd rather we replaced him with a footballer, not a clogger.

But really Hughes doesn't create that much. He just looks good on the ball and then the ball, ultimately goes out wide. You don't need Hughes level of technical ability to do that.

It's not as if he does what Colin Cameron or Paul Hartlety used to do at Hearts.

I think this idea of the 'creative' midfielder is just about obsolete in this era of football. Most teams defend with 9 or 10 players behind the ball, there is no space for the creative midfielder and its almost impossible to pass through the middle of a defending team without world class players.

What you need now at this level is someone like Dorman at St.Mirren. He's not as techincally complete a player as Hughes but he runs beyond the strikers, has an eye for goal and strikes the ball brilliantly. Hughes doesn't do any of those things.

Modern football is about running and Hughes doesn't want to do that, he wants to stand in midfield and spray passes about but that style of play is becoming less and less effective.

I would agree with Ya Beezer above on this.

We DON'T need Steph Hughes. We need runers in the team, exactly like a Dorman. Run, play one-two's and shoot. Yes Hughes 'puts the foot on the ball' which is nice to have to 'playmake' or whatever it used to be called. And to be honest though, for 99% of Hughes' passes (slip it out to a Hammell overlap) Klimpl could make them no problem, PLUS he gives us the dig. Two players in one, he has also scored as many goals in his half season that the 'Attacking' Hughes in a whole season.

For that reason, if ANYONE is to be re-signed it should be Klimpl, we don't need Hughes.

Hughes will be a big loss if he goes in the summer. I can't see us having the money to replace him and without him we get dragged back down to the level of Falkirk, St Mirren, ICT etc.

Last seasons good football happened because we had three better than average players at the club Hughes, Porter, McCormack, (four if including Phil).

We have seen what has happened having lost these players. Loosing Hughes will take us back to square one. It is a bit like when we lost Paul Lambert. I don't think anybody realised how good he was till he was gone.

I'm all for remaining positive but I think we have to be realistic as well. On the point of bringing in young boy's, I think that is false hope. The best young prospect at the club was/is young Jamie Murphy. He has been disappointing and at times out of his depth.

Let's hope McGhee can replace these players because for me pinning our hopes on Klimpl in the centre just won't cut it.

without him we get dragged back down to the level of Falkirk, St Mirren, ICT etc.

Historically probably business as usual then.

Not sure of the overall stats but we've probably been in the bottom six more than the top six and having a better season than St Mirren, Falkirk and ICT is a bonus. Year in year out our fanbase is similar in size to St Mirren, Killie and even in the lower league Morton who on their day can bring a massive support. I would guess that our average SPL league position would be around 7th or 8th.

Anybody got the actual stats?

I would guess that our average SPL league position would be around 7th or 8th.

Anybody got the actual stats?

98/99 7th,

99/00 4th,

00/01 8th (12 teams + split)

01/02 11th

02/03 12th,

03/04 6th,

04/05 6th,

05/06 8th,

06/07 10th,

07/08 3rd,

08/09 7-9?

Average not including this season 7.5 so will probably be an average finish of 7th including this season when its decided.

wonder where we would be now if the Administration rules had been in force back then? (edit just realised we'd be in the same place :) )

I would agree with Ya Beezer above on this.

We DON'T need Steph Hughes. We need runers in the team, exactly like a Dorman. Run, play one-two's and shoot. Yes Hughes 'puts the foot on the ball' which is nice to have to 'playmake' or whatever it used to be called. And to be honest though, for 99% of Hughes' passes (slip it out to a Hammell overlap) Klimpl could make them no problem, PLUS he gives us the dig. Two players in one, he has also scored as many goals in his half season that the 'Attacking' Hughes in a whole season.

Klimpl 'could' make these passes? So why doesn't he? Has McGhee told him not to? If we lose Hughes, we have two options. We can try and find another playmaker and look to find the form and style from last season, or we can sign couple of runners and start playing like the St. Mirrens of the league.

I really don't want to see a midfield full of 'hard-working' or 'honest' players with a 'good engine' and all the other footballing cliches. I'd like to see the team keep trying to play some football.

Klimpl 'could' make these passes? So why doesn't he?

I really don't want to see a midfield full of 'hard-working' or 'honest' players with a 'good engine' and all the other footballing cliches. I'd like to see the team keep trying to play some football.

Eh...? Because we have Hughes making them at the moment... :lol:

I know you don't see many games but surely you know our entire playbook consists of the following: Klimpl gives the ball to Hughes and Hughes gives the ball to Hammell. When Hughes leaves Klimpl can do that awesome 8 yard pass himself.

And Secondly, I never, no one actually has said we want a team full of grafters. That is a ridiculous statement. I would like, for a start some pace and skill on the left since we don't have any. I just don't really see what Hughes does, especially for his wage.

When Hughes goes, I think Klimpl (assuming we get him) with Lasley in the middle would cover us better than Huges does (woefull defensively) in the middle, Las can ping a ball on his day anyway and we get an explosive, preferably foreign actual left winger and have a proper, not half arsed attempt at 4-4-2 next season.

Apparently, Rangers have an 'A' List and a 'B' List of Signing Targets. They will only be able to go for the 'A' List if they win the SPL and get automatic entry to group stages of Champions League. If they don't then they will move to the 'B' List and seemingly Stephen Hughes is one of the targets on this.

I'd like to see him stay at FP but wouldn't blame him for moving. Everybody jumps on his back for 'not performing' and 'not scoring enough goals'.

Well lets take the second point first - his record before coming to us showed he was not a prolific goal scoring midfielder so why get up tight about it now. MM knew what he was getting.

As for the first point about him not performing - well he has hardly partnered by the best of midfield partners at FP (McGarry, O'Brien, Malcolm, etc. IMO he played his best games when Keith Lasley was in the side because Lasley's style allowed Hughes to play closer to the strikers, which IMO is his best position. Klimpl is a wholehearted player but he is a bit of a wanderer whereas Lasley is more disciplined. I think MM needs to play a 4-3-1 (Hughes) 2 in order to get the best out of him. He should not have to expend energy chasing back to defend all the time.

We should be looking to build a team around guys like Hughes not punt him.

Apparently, Rangers have an 'A' List and a 'B' List of Signing Targets. They will only be able to go for the 'A' List if they win the SPL and get automatic entry to group stages of Champions League. If they don't then they will move to the 'B' List and seemingly Stephen Hughes is one of the targets on this.

I'd like to see him stay at FP but wouldn't blame him for moving. Everybody jumps on his back for 'not performing' and 'not scoring enough goals'.

Well lets take the second point first - his record before coming to us showed he was not a prolific goal scoring midfielder so why get up tight about it now. MM knew what he was getting.

As for the first point about him not performing - well he has hardly partnered by the best of midfield partners at FP (McGarry, O'Brien, Malcolm, etc. IMO he played his best games when Keith Lasley was in the side because Lasley's style allowed Hughes to play closer to the strikers, which IMO is his best position. Klimpl is a wholehearted player but he is a bit of a wanderer whereas Lasley is more disciplined. I think MM needs to play a 4-3-1 (Hughes) 2 in order to get the best out of him. He should not have to expend energy chasing back to defend all the time.

Couldn't agree more

Seconded. Great post Grew

I pretty much believe this part is 100% true as I've heard that there is a certain element of truth in the Rangers rumour.

But certainly agree with the rest of your post, the last line of your post says it all for me, some of us expect to much, Hughes is as good as we will get in a 'Well top IMO of his calibre - try and make him the heart of the team not chase him out.

Amen!

I don't think anybody's 'punting' Stephen Hughes out of Motherwell. Well apart from Stephen Hughes that is.

I think most (vast majority) fans want him to stay. But if he can't commit or will only stay if we burst the bank and the wage structure then he sits on the bench for the remainder of the games and we move on as a club.

it's really that simple.

And he plays best beside Fitzpatrick :whistling:

Hughes, Klimpl, O'Brien and Fitzy would be my 4 as long as they're interested in wearing the jersey

Stephen Hughes is not the only player who carries half the Motherwell support on his back either.

For the benefit of the club's finances, McGhee's (and the players') first responsibility is to secure 7th place. After that, you can mess around with team.

Still, at least it gives you another chance to complain, so it's not all bad, eh? You must be missing Malpas.

For the benefit of the club's finances, McGhee's (and the players') first responsibility is to secure 7th place. After that, you can mess around with team.

Still, at least it gives you another chance to complain, so it's not all bad, eh? You must be missing Malpas.

Ah, the old fallback if you dare critcise McGhee. If you don't like McGhee then you must want Malpas back? How I've missed that one...

As I've stated on other threads, I'd love us to finish 7th but I don't see how playing players whose futures may lie elsewhere or who have one eye on their summer holidays helps us achieve that. McGhee himself has stated that he is preparing for next season as of now and will only be using players who see their future at Fir Park. How does that square with the line up today, particularly the selection of Hughes and Smith who, if we're being honest, will only sign a new contract at Motherwell as a last resort. And I fail to see how playing players out of position and guys who frankly are so out of form it's not true helps us achieve the aim of finishing seventh...