Clarky - 250 Up!

Guest 'Flow

I think ultimately we're going to have to agree to disagree on the merits of Clarkson on this one mate.

I can't really answer your question about the club having no-one else to play in the reserves, though its perhaps academic as since he broke through he has largely been a part of the first team squad anyway.

I don't believe Clarky is the second coming but that's three 'Well managers now who have seen him as a vital part of their squad. There's Burley who has rated him enough to include him in every Scotland squad for the last year, the Scotland U21 coaches who gave him caps going into double figures and the youth coaches at both club and national level prior to that.

Are all these coaches wrong about him?

No, they arent wrong. I simply think that Clarkson is not as good as people make him. Pobably also due to the standard of Football palyers these days in Scotland.

As for the Scotland game: Can you remember how many players actually pulled out in that game?

And for

I think ultimately we're going to have to agree to disagree on the merits of Clarkson on this one mate.

You are probably right.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 'Flow

To take it to its most simple level....

It would be very difficult to notch up 250 top-level appearances by the time you are 23, scoring 52 goals in the process, as well as being a regular pick in the International set-up - scoring on your debut - and not have something about you.

'Flow

It would be very difficult to notch up 250 top-level appearances by the time you are 23, scoring 52 goals in the process, as well as being a regular pick in the International set-up - scoring on your debut - and not have something about you.

'Flow

Depends on who is around you as well :unsure:

Guest 'Flow

Well, he was teamed with Scott McDonald for a number of years who hardly helped him... Indeed, I would go as far as to say it was Clarky who helped Scotty reach where he has, doing all his donkey work for him for the best part of three years!

An even better way to look at it to my mind is he went what, 2 seasons only scoring about 5 goals.- if you were to discount those two seasons, say 50 games, you're looking about just under 50 goals in 200 games, almost 1 in 4, a fantastic record for a guy who was only 17 when he broke through.

Makes his record of just over 1 in 5 looks very good in my mind...

Well, he was teamed with Scott McDonald for a number of years who hardly helped him... Indeed, I would go as far as to say it was Clarky who helped Scotty reach where he has, doing all his donkey work for him for the best part of three years!

Flow, I do understand you are trying to defend him, but you dont need to. I do see he is not a rubbish player, but simply dont think he is as good as people make him.

As for Scott McDonald, how come he scored another 45 goals over the last 2 seasons without Clarkson?

Flow, I do understand you are trying to defend him, but you dont need to. I do see he is not a rubbish player, but simply dont think he is as good as people make him.

As for Scott McDonald, how come he scored another 45 goals over the last 2 seasons without Clarkson?

Is that a serious question??

He's playing in the leagues best side, with top class players playing alongside him in every area of the pitch, and having already had a prolific record in the league for a few years, going up to another level playing with a much high calibre of player is only going to help a striker.

Castlemilk aside, when you've got players like McGeady, Robson, Brown, Hartley, Maloney et al pinging balls forward all game, every game, any striker worth his salt is going to fire in the goals.

Jan Vinegar...Boyd...any striker with supply lines like that would get a good few goals a season. If Clarky had that kind of supply he'd be there or thereabouts at the top of the goalscoring charts.

Guest 'Flow

I don't think anyone is saying Clarky is anything he's not... He's a good, hard-working and at times, skilful player who bursts his backside every time he pulls the Claret and Amber over his napper. That'll always do for me!

He's got a decent scoring record, all things considered; and he's a regular in the Scotland International set-up. Not too bad me thinks...

Because, as Neil says, he's got McGeady, Nakamura, Maloney, Brown, Hartley and Robson beside him. I reckon even I could get my name on the scoresheet with that sort of firepower setting me up!

I am not belittling Scotty's achievements, he's a top quality player and I'd have him as my number one pick of any SPL striker. However, would he have got to where he has if another Scott McDonald type player was playing up-front with him every week at Fir Park for three years? I think not....

At Motherwell, unlike Celtic where you have to perhaps not work as hard for your goals given the merit of the aformentioned talent, he had to rely on DC doing the donkey work (the dummy runs, the creating space etc) which assisted his development, without doubt. Not saying it was the only factor - that would be disrespectful to McDonald who is a quality player - but it helped. Last season, without McDonald, we had Ross McCormack doing their donkey work and just look how it helped both DC and Chris Porter!

'Flow

I'd say he is, considering of the non-OF players, he's second to the supposed great white hope of Scottish football, by a mere two goals...

Kris Boyd 25

Scott McDonald 16

Georgios Samaras 14

Steven Fletcher 12

David Clarkson 10

If McGhee believes Clarky got Roscoe & Porters moves to the Championship - why couldn't have Clarky help MCDonald achieve his move to Celtic?

And your actual point you made that I quoted - it really wasnt that hard to work out. Put me in the Barcelona team and I'd score..

If McGhee believes Clarky got Roscoe & Porters moves to the Championship - why couldn't have Clarky help MCDonald achieve his move to Celtic?

And your actual point you made that I quoted - it really wasnt that hard to work out. Put me in the Barcelona team and I'd score..

So let me think: I can put anyone upfront with a Barca team and he will score? I dont think so. You play against much better opponents, esp in Scotland, where as all Non-Old Firm teams put in an extra shift to stop them from scoring. That is probably the case in every country!

I dont think you are right there!

Devils Advocate time.

Would Clarky get less backing from everyone if he were just another player and not Phils nephew ,Or would he get a little less outright support, but because he does give 100% every game still get the backing of the majority.

He might not be the best player we've even had, but few can match his endeavour, workrate and passion for the jersey.

Well done Clarky, and here's to many more.

Would Clarky get less backing from everyone if he were just another player and not Phils nephew

I honestly don't think that's got anything to do with it. I think most Dossers are happy with any player who has a bit of skill and who'll knock their pan in for Motherwell FC. Clarky fits the bill.

I wish we had another 10 who played with the same drive and could deliver the same results from such a tremendous workrate when they get on the pitch

I've never met him or his kin so I can't really comment on his passion for the club or indeed the team, but it looks like he plays with passion and responsibility

all I think is we would be a lot worse off without his contribution over those 250 appearances than we are with him.

Thanks Clarky, Keep on fighting.

PS, I can dream of Clarky still being here when Faddy comes back to sign off

'Flow

Here here!

It is clearly evident to anyone with at least one eye that our team lacks an awfull lot when he isn't playing. Drive, determination yada yada. But also, his first touch isn;t that of Paul Scholes but he is ALWAYS looking for the ball, more often than not in space he finds and is starting to really know how to score goals, especially 'striker' goals from inside the six yard box.

Seriously, we would miss DC.

Oh, and Flow, any word on a new contract for the fella :lol: , IIRC he is going into his last year

David Clarkson is certainly not the most skilful player we've ever had at FP but when it comes to playing for the jersey and putting his heart into things then IMO he's up there with the best of them.

Remember this is a young man who came into the SPL to play for us at the lowest point in our history and due to circumstances, was over-played for someone as young. Although he's now still only 23 he could be regarded as a veteran and if every player that played in C&A put as much into every game as he does then I think we'd all be very happy.

Big clarky one of the v few players i've seen score a hat trick at fir park.

We all feel a deep connection with the big man after phil's death that's undeniable, will never forget him coming up and clapping the fans after the cup game at tynecastle after phils death.

Brings a tear to a glass

MON THE WELL

MON THE CLARKSON