V St. Mirren

East_Stand_Al

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 'Flow

I thought the boys were brilliant today and a special word for Mark McGhee who got his team selection and tactics absolutely spot on.

I hope all those who constantly shout and scream if we lose or draw and nit pick at the gaffers every call will acknowledge when he gets something totally spot on.

Some of our pass and move football was as good as anything in 2007/2008!

Onwards and upwards!

'Flow

I thought the boys were brilliant today and a special word for Mark McGhee who got his team selection and tactics absolutely spot on.

I hope all those who constantly shout and scream if we lose or draw and nit pick at the gaffers every call will acknowledge when he gets something totally spot on.

Some of our pass and move football was as good as anything in 2007/2008!

Onwards and upwards!

'Flow

Im not someone who comes on shouting screaming or nit picking about his selections or managerial capabilities , if i was qualified to do that id be managing in the SPL myself.

How long have you had to wait to have that pop though ?

Just a pity we never done it in the games that really mattered eh ?

Guest 'Flow
Im not someone who comes on shouting screaming or nit picking about his selections or managerial capabilities , if i was qualified to do that id be managing in the SPL myself.

Well, if you're not one of them then the 'pop' wasn't aimed at you my friend! :P

How long have you had to wait to have that pop though ?

About two hours..... Nah, in all seriousness, it wasn't a dig. Just a post in expectations for the same people who get at the manager (and it is their right to do so I suppose) to give him praise when he changes things and gets it 150% correct and we turn the opposition over.

Just a pity we never done it in the games that really mattered eh ?

It is, but we'll survive and get on with it.

7th place, given our historic league placings over the years, is hardly a catastrophe!

Lets all enjoys the Faroes in early July :D

'Flow

Braw result the day, all the sweater given the opposition.

Delighted for Murphy, they boy has a lovely habit of scoring and deserves a decent run in the team.

Interesting that Sheridan started. Wonder if we are contemplating a permanent move for him?

Just the 1 yellow card? cause for celebration :D

Well, if you're not one of them then the 'pop' wasn't aimed at you my friend! :D

About two hours.....

It is, but we'll survive and get on with it.

7th place, given our historic league placings over the years, is hardly a catastrophe!

Lets all enjoys the Faroes in early July :D

'Flow

Aye but i just cant keep my mouth shut :P

Historically where are our player and managers wages sitting ? Hopefully we can reproduce todays form when we arent under any pressure next season and Murphy wont become a forgotten man again. I wasnt fooled by the talk of us being Brazil of the 70s after Easter Rd last season apres split and i wont be fooled into thinking today means we have it all right again either. Fine result and big well dones all round though. St Mirren wouldve been well up for it , fancying their chances and had every right to "want" it more than us as well.

And if we get the Faroes then i will show the board shouting screaming nit picking and moaning as due to other scattercash commitments around then im needing a cheap Crusaders (Well done today the Hatchetmen , cup winners !) type trip

i think 'flow's comparison with 2007/08 is a bit over the top but it was a very good performance.

last week was disapointing, this week was much better. i agree mcghee got the team spot on and while i'm grateful it's a bit too little too late. good performance from everyone although jim o'brien seemed to have a bit of a mental spell in the last 20 minutes. hughes started quietly but after the second seemed to perk up and was excellent after that. this week we've had threads about hughes, clarkson and hammell and today all three were excellent with each having a large hand in two goals.

anyway a few thoughts about some players after today.

graeme smith - another excellent performance in a great season, i don't think we can assume he'll be easily replaced. out of the 3 we're trying to keep he should be the 2nd priority behind hughes.

jamie murphy - has enough of a goalthreat and is good enough on the ball to be an every game player for us. even if he isn't ready to play up front he can do a job in one of the wide midfield roles by offering a strong attacking threat rather than having fullbacks or mcgarry doing nothing as we've seen over the last few months. he was a bit dodgy tracking back today but i'd wager we'd gain more than we lose by playing him there.

cillian sheridan - there have been a quite a few critical words about him on here but he was excellent today. he competed in the air, ran the channels and generally put in a lot of effort. he won't be here next season but he deserves his place in the next game. having a centreforward who is mobile and looks for the ball rather than one who just waits for a chance in the middle (sometimes for three or four games at a time) made a huge difference, clarky definitely benefited.

on the fair play front we got one booking. it probably was a booking but clarky can't get any critisicm after tracking back so far. also compared to a few st mirren challenges - especially the one on hammell - he was harshly dealt with. i've read through the thread and seen a few comments that people would rather have lost a goal than got booked, fuck that. there are still fans travelling and paying in to games, we have to finish above accies and there is pride to play for. we don't want any daft bookings but we still need to play at 100%.

Only decided to go at the last minute and glad I did - was a fairly assured performance from all, but credit again to Buzz for keeping the scoresheet blank whe Dorman was through on goal early doors :D

Pity O'Brien didn't finish off the move near the end after some superb passing set up the chance

MON RA DOSSERS

Superb performance in places today and a great result. Well worth the TEN POUNDS.Agree with 'Flow that some of the play was like last season but St Mirren were very poor at times.

Hope we can keep this form going until the end of the season in which case MMG will have a fine team to start next season.

When he's right , he's right and when he's no quite right, he knows it!

I really enjoyed that!

I was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable a win in it was. I said before the game it would be classic Motherwell to turn up and pump them after what they'd done to use but I honestly expected a whole lot more from them.

Apart from the save from Dorman early on and a wee burst of pressure after they got the goal, then it was easy peasy throughout and O'Brien should really have given the scoreline that extra wee bit of gloss with the chance at the end.

Still 3-1, I'll happily take that.

Some really good football in spells and nice to see Clarky get another couple and Jamie get a goal too.

I try not to gloat too much when we win but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the change in demeanour of the Saints as the game - and their SPL status hopefuly, started slipping away from them.

A good wee day.

WOW where did that performance and result come from. We've been ABSOLUTELY PISH against StMirren all season then in an end of season nothing game we turn it on. Well done anyway and ROLL ON NEXT SEASON. Be marvellous to get into EUFA cup again by ANY means. Here's hoping. :D .

I hate to go against the grain here fellas, but I just get this feeling we are going to hump this mob on Saturday, and let's be honest it's long overdue.

4-1 Motherwell.

As I said earlier. I knew it was coming. You little beauty.

Without wishing to get carried away because the opposition were (surprisingly) very poor considering their position, but yes a much better performance and result today.

I've said for a long time that we would only see the best of Stephen Hughes when Keith Lasley played in midfield beside him and that Jamie Murphy is good enough to command a regular first team spot. And on today's performance this was proved right.

Credit where credit's due but I wonder how much the possiblity of European footbal next season 'helped' the players 'get up' for the game.

However, if we can keep Hughes and Klimpl for next season then IMO our midfield would look quite good with Lasley playing anchor man, Klimpl with a roaving role and Hughes playing as close to the strikers as possible where he is most effective. There is the nucleus of good team at FP it just needs MM to recognise that and build on it now.