Fat Boab. No Youngsters. Late Subs.

steelboy

Hughes gets the shits the same reason why Ferguson got it from Scotland fans, as does Fletcher now because they are meant to be better than the average joe in the team. Not to mention he's the only attacking midfielder I know who has played most of the season without actually being an attacking threat to teams. The amount of times he had the chance to take a pop at goal, he instead decided to dally on the ball, spin around a couple of times and pass it to O'Brien/Clarkson/Hammell/Klimpl/Some Kilmarnock player (delete as appropriate) was ridiculous. We badly need an attacking midfielder. We badly need a goal scording midfielder (I would accept 4+ as enough, but the fact that McLean and Boab Malcolm have scored more goals than Hughes says all we need to know about his ability as an attacking midfielder).

I think people are being a little harsh on O'Brien though.

I think there are way too many people still intoxicated with the 3rd Place finish last season, that was the exception rather than the rule.

IMO the expectation level was a bit too high we punched well above our weight last season, as for this seasonwe had some highs we had some lows but overall top of the bottom six, outside shot at europe again , never looked like being relegated at any time, I'd have taken that at the start of the season.

Its not all his fault. Our defence made sure of that today. However he was possibly the most talented player on display today, on paper. In theory a real matchwinner capable of setting the game alight. The trouble is he rarely if ever does, and is all too often overshadowed by those with lesser skills

people are wanting him to be something he isn't. he's not a penalty box player and he isn't going to shoot from long range. he is excellent at passing, retaining the ball and enabling us to bring it up on the deck. it's one eyed to say the solution our problems is to get rid of hughes, the solution is/was to put better players around him who can create and will make forward runs. when was the last time we actually played four real midfielders? the guy has been playing with one hand tied behind his back.

Compared to what other glorious seasons in the past ten years?

good seasons.

first two davies seasons

the first three with butcher

first mcghee season

mediocre/average

third davies season

this season

poor

malpas

eric black

So almost being relegated is worth having a run in a cup?

it was a good season because we did much better than we should have done. we eventually finshed bottom but on paper we should have been down before march. we were in a relegation battle with dundee united who probably had a wage bill 10xs ours.

i think Quinn was rubbish today, way-way below par. As was Clarkson IMO.

Think the two of them have come on leaps and bounds the last couple of years, but today they were back to the way they were.

Our defence in general was at 6's and 7's today. The amount of times we got caught out was ridiculous.

It's well established that I thought we should have played a lot more youngsters in the last few games. But to bring on Bob Malcolm today beggared belief. Then to replace him with McGarry? Baffling.

On the subject of Stephen Hughes, I thought he had one of his better games of the season today, to a point. He was involved a lot but all too often would refuse to take responsibility when the ball got into dangerous areas. That said, this comment caught my eye...

i think Quinn was rubbish today, way-way below par. As was Clarkson IMO.

I think this illustrates the difference between Stephen Hughes and David Clarkson. When Stephen Hughes is off form, he'd be as well not being there. People, myself included, have compared him to Brian Kerr this season. Perhaps, but even when Kerr was poor (all too often, I grant you), he always looked for the ball and you noticed he was there. Maybe that's why he got more stick than Hughes ever has. Simply because people don't notice how poorly Hughes is playing because he disappears. Clarkson was very poor today by the high standards he has set the last couple of seasons. But even in that poor form, he managed to set up our only goal.

And criticise Paul Quinn for his performance and a stupid booking all you like, at least he looked like he cared. Channelled wrongly? Possibly, but at least the desire was still there...

it was a good season because we did much better than we should have done. we eventually finshed bottom but on paper we should have been down before march. we were in a relegation battle with dundee united who probably had a wage bill 10xs ours.

Silly logic you're using. This was a good season. I'm a realist. Anywhere between tenth and 6th is a good season. In the top 6, Fantastic. To get 3rd last season was fucking insane.

So, IMO, this was a good season.

Perhaps, but even when Kerr was poor (all too often, I grant you), he always looked for the ball and you noticed he was there. Maybe that's why he got more stick than Hughes ever has. Simply because people don't notice how poorly Hughes is playing because he disappears.

For me, that's almost the complete opposite of how I remember Brian Kerr. A player who had the talent and ability but who seemed to lack the will and desire to get on the ball and impose himself on proceedings on any kind of regular basis the way a player with his capability could have.