Fat Boab. No Youngsters. Late Subs.

steelboy

last day of the season. meaningless game. we've already seen a few young players get a chance this season. mcghee has made comments about playing the kids. you'd expect us to try a few young guys out and see who sinks or swims.

yet.....

starting XI. klimpl, hughes and sheridan have all start even although they're not going to be here next season. fair enough maoros and steff have earned a final start at home and sheridan was our best player last week. only to fit everyone he wants in we end up with three guys up front doing the work of two and short in midfield. today was typical of his indecision, either play the form players or the players who are staying. don't try and fit clarky, sutton and sheridan in at the expense of any shape.

first sub. jamie murphy was stripped for a good 7 minutes before coming on but was left standing in the dugout. what the fuck were we waiting for?

second sub. bob malcom????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? the guy has been overweight, overpaid and nowhere near the first team for five months yet he gets on today. we have las and fitzy who will be here next season and have never gave less than 100% but for some reason bob who wasn't considered for a start against st mirren or ICT gets on. what the fuck? it's almost as if mcghee put him on as some kind of reward. i've got no personal grievance against malcolm but he didn't deserve to get anywhere near the game today.

third sub. mcgarry. again nothing against mcgarry but since we didn't put out a team to win the game and we know exaclty what mcgarry gives us what was the point? and why so late, surely he had seen enough of the guys who were playing.

since mcghee came to the club he hasn't played any player from our youth system who had already made their debut more than twice. if you ask yourself who that featured today will probaly still be here at the start of season 11-12 you'd probably end up with craigan and hammell and maybe mclean and o'brien. things don't look very good in the long term.

edit - this was typed in a storm of fury. think i've sorted the typos now.

Anyone else think that we could really do with a flair player who drives AT goal and shoots on occaision? (like Taoul who won the match doing this?)l This arguably was our undoing today, with Hughes and O'Brien in particular flattering to deceive, passing sideways, backtracking? It was painful at times, particularly in the second half where we were looking to pass the ball in at times rather than just being direct and having a dig. Maybe a better pitch will help with this type of game next season, hey ho....

Trying to consolidate our Euoropa league place by not getting anymore yellow or red cards. McGee decides to bring on Big Boab????????? total bombscare of a player that every referee in Scotland wants to book at the first opportunity - totally baffeling substitution.

What happend he does the square root of fuck all and still manages to injure himself and get subbed, you couldn't make this shit up.

Got to say I am a McGhee fan, but I totally agree with everything that you say. Dont see why Hughes should have started. what does that say to the guys that are going to be here next season?

I was also disappointed that Mcghee didnt come out with the players after the game to show his appreciation to the fans. One of the major flaws with McGhee is his inability to strike up any sort of relationship with the fans. Whatever his feelings towards the fans, ultimately it is us that pay his wages, many spend a lot of money on coming to the matches, I feel saddened that he did not show a bit of respect to thank the fans by simply coming out and clapping after the game e.g. Jim Jeffries with the Killie fans.

To be honest I'm not so fussed about the loanees or non-committers getting a game. I know there's a feeling that the loanees aren't "our" players and we should be preparing for the eventuality that the non-committers move on, but while they are on the payroll, I think we should consider all the options at our disposal.

That said I had been hoping for one or two of the younger members of the squad to get a run out today so that was quite disappointing. I thought Hutchinson didn't deserve to be dropped after an excellent display last week and the eagerness of both Slane and McHugh in the games before that had whetted the appetite.

At home, with nothing at stake, then why not?

Watching Hughes today summed up his season and why I'm not exactly gutted that he is going. Bit of a sand dancer, too lightweight, won't shoot, doesn't score goals, pulls out of every 50 - 50 challenge and nearly every pass seems to be sideways or backwards.

When he puts his mind to it he can be an excellent player, but he isn't minded to do this very often.

McGhee should be ashamed at the selection of players today. I was looking forward as most fans were to seeing some of our U19 talent such as McHugh, Hutchinson, Saunders, Page getting a run out for what was a meaningless game.

But no, we were "treated" to a tired lacklustre 'Well side who struggled throughout. Quinn should be sold ASAP as he is a complete waste of space, getting booked for a mindless volley of the ball off a Killie man 5 yrds from the ref. We have cover in McLean and Saunders and Quinn is like an albatross around Motherwell's neck.

As for McGhee being absent at the end, no excuse, both him and Leitchy should have been out thanking the fans for their support. Very poor show Mark.

As for the future, I think we have seen the last of Reynolds, expect him to be wearing a light blue jersey next season and I would expect £1.5m to help pay for improvement to Fir Park.

Well Well Suprawell

As for McGhee being absent at the end, no excuse, both him and Leitchy should have been out thanking the fans for their support. Very poor show Mark.

Very VERY poor show. He does this when the cameras are on him - ala Nancy, like the media whore he is. Tell you what he is no Terry Butcher when it comes to relationship with the fans. Shame that doesn't keep sides in the SPL though.

We have a good manager but what an arrogant prick of a human being he can be!!

To be honest I'm not so fussed about the loanees or non-committers getting a game. I know there's a feeling that the loanees aren't "our" players and we should be preparing for the eventuality that the non-committers move on, but while they are on the payroll, I think we should consider all the options at our disposal.

i agree but today we played a formation with sutton, clarkson and sheridan all right up top that mcghee would never have played in a competitive game. the options are either try and win the game by putting out the best team or try and blood some players. today we did neither and it was typical of alot of mcghee's choices during his time at motherwell, he struggles to make the big decisions.

as i've said think about the start of 11/12. we could very well need ten new players by then. he hasn't played any young player who has came through our youth system more than twice in the two years he has been here. in the long term things don't look very good at all.

after being at the game today i was surprised by the team and the subs think we need a good midfielder that will be a box to box midfielder someone like uncle phil but where do you get one ? seen that yantorno has been released by hibs thot he looked ok at gretna before he got a bad injury :evilgrin:

Paul Quinn MOTM IMO.

probably. quinn seemed to be one of the few who cared about the result today and fair enough it was stupid booting the ball off the killie player but at least he cared.

anyone who says they can't wait to see quinn leave is daft. he's an excellent right back and is likely to leave here for much more down south in the near future. quinn, clarky and reynolds get stick on here but when their contracts are up they won't have any problems getting moves for considerably more than we can pay.

McGhee should be ashamed at the selection of players today. I was looking forward as most fans were to seeing some of our U19 talent such as McHugh, Hutchinson, Saunders, Page getting a run out for what was a meaningless game.

But no, we were "treated" to a tired lacklustre 'Well side who struggled throughout. Quinn should be sold ASAP as he is a complete waste of space, getting booked for a mindless volley of the ball off a Killie man 5 yrds from the ref. We have cover in McLean and Saunders and Quinn is like an albatross around Motherwell's neck.

As for the future, I think we have seen the last of Reynolds, expect him to be wearing a light blue jersey next season and I would expect £1.5m to help pay for improvement to Fir Park.

Well Well Suprawell

I wasn't there today but if McGhee failed to acknowledge the folk that have been showing up all season, then that is a very poor show indeed. As much as I don't like the guy, it never crossed my mind that he wouldn't be out to applaud the fans today.

What airport is heading for this summer? Fud.

he hasn't played any young player who has came through our youth system more than twice in the two years he has been here. in the long term things don't look very good at all.

Not true.

For a start he's given a regular game to Jamie Murphy.

He's stuck by Mark Reynolds who was only 20 when McGhee joined the club and selected him for virtually every match.

Secondly Steven Saunders played 3 games on the trot in mid season.

Thirdly McHugh has played 3 times for McGhee over two seasons.

we've been poor and he's been roundly critisiced this season, why should he and leitch come out?

i can remember people on here greeting because the malpas team didn't come out for a lap after the st mirren game (while there were season tickets lying on the park). we should save the lap of honours for good seasons. this season has been textbook mediocre.

Not true.

For a start he's given a regular game to Jamie Murphy.

He's stuck by Mark Reynolds who was only 20 when McGhee joined the club and selected him for virtually every match.

Secondly Steven Saunders played 3 games on the trot in mid season.

Thirdly McHugh has played 3 times for McGhee over two seasons.

i meant players who hadn't made there debut previously (which i said in the original post) which discounts murphy and reynolds.

i don't think the fact that i had saunders and mchugh down for one less appearance each invalidates my point. what's your opinion on our recent record of bringing through young players and the future of our squad considering who is likely to leave in the next year or so?

Ye canny say that, As long as were not in the relegation fight its a good season.

in good seasons you don't go from joint third through 11 games then go bottom by xmas followed by nine unbeaten in the league then only 1 win in the last six relevant games. or three out of the last ten.

we also played 6 cup games and only won one.

Not really bothered with the team put out..meaningless game that will be forgotten mid hangover tomorrow morning.

On to the other topic though, for McGhee not to acknowledge the fans at the end is disappointing. For such an intelligent individual he seems to display some amazingly naive/ignorant actions. He's maybe not a chest thumper or a scarf twirler, but for christ sake a couple of half hearted claps in the middle of the park after spunking the amount of money we do following the well home and away is surely not too much to ask!

Anyone else think that we could really do with a flair player who drives AT goal and shoots on occaision? (like Taoul who won the match doing this?)l This arguably was our undoing today, with Hughes and O'Brien in particular flattering to deceive, passing sideways, backtracking? It was painful at times, particularly in the second half where we were looking to pass the ball in at times rather than just being direct and having a dig.

Spot on. O'Brien and Hughes looked very impressive but didn't actually do anything. The latter will not be missed next year. At times our build up was so laboured and slow that by the time we approached Killie's box 10/11 of their players were organised and waiting for us. Where was O'Brien's and Hughes' guile?

Hilarious thread for the last game of the season. Thanks for the laughs, folks!

yanks have a strange sense of humour

Spot on. O'Brien and Hughes looked very impressive but didn't actually do anything. The latter will not be missed next year. At times our build up was so laboured and slow that by the time we approached Killie's box 10/11 of their players were organised and waiting for us. Where was O'Brien's and Hughes' guile?

i don't see why it's always hughes' fault. there should be four men in midfield. he does what he does very well, he'd be a much better player with better players beside him ala darren fletcher.

i don't see why it's always hughes' fault. there should be four men in midfield. he does what he does very well, he'd be a much better player with better players beside him ala darren fletcher.

Its not all his fault. Our defence made sure of that today. However he was possibly the most talented player on display today, on paper. In theory a real matchwinner capable of setting the game alight. The trouble is he rarely if ever does, and is all too often overshadowed by those with lesser skills