So It Begins...

Guest 'Flow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flow, has anything been put in place to try and remedy the state the picth gets into in Winter and not being able to get dried out cos of that monstrosity of a South Stand? I think everything is looking braw right now but I worry about what happens come Dec/Jan/Feb.

Yes mate all the existing drains were replaced and a good few extra drains installed.

Gates were open next to the Chapman building so wandered in to have a look this afternoon

(Bill Dickie was on security at the gates but he was on the mobile, so a workman like nod got me past him :wub: )

Pitch is looking good already, early signs of a good covering of grass from the first sow and although there is still quite a slope from East down to the Phil O'D, the surface is eh? well? Flat!

Kinda hard to describe definately not level, but smooth and on only one plane :woop::lol:

Anyway they sent the heavy mob out to evict me B-) he seemed in good form as well as the pitch :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the pitch today. It looked amazing. It realy was lookin so much better than it has looked in years, probably. All the hard work looks like it'll be paying off.

The groundsmen weren't happy though as a fox had been running about digging holes in the pitch. They had a mallet waiting for it in the home dug-out incase they managed to get a hold of it. :lol:

Well done guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for Flow and groundstaff.

I was wondering if the club considered playing the home tie with Steaua at Fir Park?

I might be wrong on this but I thought I'd read somewhere that the Wigan match was going to be the first game played on the new pitch. If I'm right Wigan were due to play us on the 8th and Steaua at Airdrie is on the 6th. The two dates are only two days apart so that would suggest the pitch would be ready.

Would have be a great way to showcase it.

PS I have enjoyed the photo's and posts.

I think the Wigan match was planned before the club received the advice about leaving the playing surface untouched for as long as possible. Boyle seemed pretty adamant in his interview that, based on the advice given, no games would be played until the first league fixture.

I think the Wigan match was planned before the club received the advice about leaving the playing surface untouched for as long as possible. Boyle seemed pretty adamant in his interview that, based on the advice given, no games would be played until the first league fixture.

Ok. I can remember some of Boyle's comments but was that interview not a good while ago. Just wondered if the club looked at it again and asked the question from those who give advise.

Well it was after the pitch was laid and before the season started and what Boyle said was he had been told the longer it was left untouched the better it would knit together, so he planned to leave it untouched for as long as possible.

I don't see why he would risk messing up the new turf for one game, when there are potential fines etc. if it doesn't hold up during the winter.

Question for Flow and groundstaff.

I was wondering if the club considered playing the home tie with Steaua at Fir Park?

I might be wrong on this but I thought I'd read somewhere that the Wigan match was going to be the first game played on the new pitch. If I'm right Wigan were due to play us on the 8th and Steaua at Airdrie is on the 6th. The two dates are only two days apart so that would suggest the pitch would be ready.

Would have be a great way to showcase it.

PS I have enjoyed the photo's and posts.

Flow stated on another thread that the grass will still need the extra couple of weeks to really knit together and they didn't want to possibly undo all the hard work and effort that has gone into this by playing on it on the 6th. He also stated that there is some work being carried out on the floodlights at this time also.