Calderwood Leaves The Dons

'WellGall

Williamson_605636.jpg

...Oh F*ck... :lol:

Out of interest, why would Bobby Williamson not be a good choice for us? He is an experienced manager who did a good job when at Kilmarnock. Okay, I know his football maybe isn't the best to watch as any Hibs fan would tell you, and it would be a big difference to go from what we've seen under McGhee to that, but his teams were hard to beat, well drilled and competitive. He took Kilmarnock from the brink of relegation to winning the Scottish Cup and qualification for Europe on more than one occasion, that's not to be sniffed at.

Maybe not the popular choice, but I reckon we could do a lot worse.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether he's the right man or not, he's not a first time manager. He had a year at Ross County and now has had two years under a more experienced manager at Motherwell. Other than people who are going to provoke "Aw naw!!" (such as Bobby Williamson), who would we get that would be more experienced...?

Did he even last a year though at Ross County? Anyway, that was in a lower league, so I don't think you can compare them.

I do however, stand corrected on saying he would be a "first time manager", as I'd forgotten about the job he had at Ross Co.

I would honestly not be to bothered if he went. Last season was fantastic and was some of the best football i have seen watching the well. The season has been a bit of a damp sqiub but we never going to hit the heights of last season.

Anyway if he does go we will move on we can't appoint leitch. The club have made big strides on and off the pitch over the last two years ands we shouldn't go backwards.

We need to get a manager with experiance like we did with McGhee. I would go for Calderwood or Hughes, but doubt they would go. I would even go for McCall.

It's going to be a tight league next year. If McGhee does go and we appoint an inexperianced manager, then it will be a long hard season.

I couldn't care less if he goes only that things get resolved quickly ,i firmly believe he wasn't fully focused on the motherwell job at the end of last season when at the last minute he chose us over hearts,as a club we suffered because of that and i sincerely hope it doesn't happen again.

Could not agree more, his eyes were wandering while he was lifting his skirt last close season, with so much speculation about him now, no doubt he will indulge in more Skirt lifting.

I would be astonished if McGhee goes to Aberdeen and doesn't take Leitch with him. We have no idea who will apply, would anyone have thought McGhee would? I can't think of any but I am sure there will be managers out there who have been out the game for about a year who would jump at the chance of coming to the SPL and doing something different and get noticed again. And we may have the carrot of Europe which maybe just maybe might attract some who may not have been interested, of course it may put some off due to lack of time to prepare.

I'm of the opinion that when McGhee goes (I reckon it's a WHEN not IF), it'll depend where he goes whether he takes Leitch or not. For what it's worth, I reckon his stock has fallen enough that the Celtic job is out of his reach. However, should he get the Celtic job, I reckon there would be little chance of Leitch going there as they would want someone with more pedigree behind McGhee. Aberdeen his destination? I reckon Leitch would go with him.

As for successors, as Tweed points out, we don't know who'll throw their hat into the ring. I suspect we won't see Joe Miller's name this time :lol: . From what I hear this morning though, Billy Stark would be very interested...

Forget your Ian McCall's, Bobby Williamson's, Billy Stark's, I'm still hoping it'll be McGhee in charge of our club next season.

I can't believe how easily some are willing to just let him walk out the door, indeed give him a helping hand out of the door.

I would love him to stay, sign a couple of good players and get the team playing again like last season on a perfect pitch.

However, like last season the club are now being distracted from the business of getting ready for the new season and possibly Europe.

If this drags on like it did last season, by the time he either decides to stay or eventually go, we will have missed out on the players we need to improve the squad or have very little time to sign other targets.

If he is going to go, he should just go quickly. We can't afford any fucking about.

I can't believe how easily some are willing to just let him walk out the door, indeed give him a helping hand out of the door.

Are you going to go to FP and put a blockade in place? Being realistic if Aberdeen or Celtic ask the question we all know the answer is yes. I hope he stays but there are too many teams that he has an interest in and have more resources than us knocking on the door. Boyle has to be assuming he has an appointment to make so we are not joining this manager merry go round late and with no plans in place.

Are you going to go to FP and put a blockade in place? Being realistic if Aberdeen or Celtic ask the question we all know the answer is yes. I hope he stays but there are too many teams that he has an interest in and have more resources than us knocking on the door. Boyle has to be assuming he has an appointment to make so we are not joining this manager merry go round late and with no plans in place.

Spot on, Tweed. As soon as the rumours started circulating about Calderwood and Strachan yesterday, John Boyle should have been drawing up a list of potential names "just in case". No one's kicking McGhee out, but realistically IF he is wanted by Aberdeen or Celtic, we need a new manager. And given our thin squad, we need one sharpish...

I would take Bobby Williamson as a replacement for McGhee should he go.

I probably would as well, Mitch. But we all know it would be an unpopular appointment with a lot of the Motherwell support given the perception that his teams don't play attractive football. Obviously some people don't remember some of Tommy McLean's teams...

Forget your Ian McCall's, Bobby Williamson's, Billy Stark's, I'm still hoping it'll be McGhee in charge of our club next season.

Totally agree. Mark McGhee has been excellent for us and I don't think there is anyone out there (given our lack of pulling power) that could do better. I think he is the best manager in the SPL, hence the speculation about Aberdeen/Celtic. If he goes it's bad news.

As far as the Hearts thing is concerned I can't believe Well fans are still bitter about that. He was offered a job at a bigger club with more money and he turned it down to stay with us. His only crime was that he thought about it.

I am a Well fan but in my view if he does get offered the Dons job he would be making a mistake not to take it (he should have taken the Hearts). He would leave with my best wishes.

As far as who would take over, I have no idea. My only hope would be that JB pulls a rabbit out the hat again. We may need it.

It's going to be an interesting few days. While I want us to make sure we get the right man, I agree with Moe Green, postiejim and others who say they want this settled as quickly as possible. If any club wants McGhee, Motherwell should make it quite clear upon first contact that the deal must be done quickly. I'd rather we went into June knowing who our manager was going to be for next season...

I would give Mr Blobby a wide berth.

I know that going back in time is very rarely a good idea, but I would take Butcher back in an instant. Sadly that would mean bringing Malpas with him. So that is not going to happen because he would never come back and would not be welcome either. Butcher would not do the dirty on Malpas unless Malpas was given the Caley job :lol:

Other than that I really don't know who would be in the running. I do however suspect that we will be looking for another Manager very shortly. I hope I am wrong because I would rather McGhee stays.

I just hope it gets sorted soon as we can ill afford to go into a summer break with no plans or player strategy if and when he goes.

Totally agree. Mark McGhee has been excellent for us and I don't think there is anyone out there (given our lack of pulling power) that could do better. I think he is the best manager in the SPL, hence the speculation about Aberdeen/Celtic. If he goes it's bad news.

As far as the Hearts thing is concerned I can't believe Well fans are still bitter about that. He was offered a job at a bigger club with more money and he turned it down to stay with us. His only crime was that he thought about it.

I am a Well fan but in my view if he does get offered the Dons job he would be making a mistake not to take it (he should have taken the Hearts). He would leave with my best wishes.

As far as who would take over, I have no idea. My only hope would be that JB pulls a rabbit out the hat again. We may need it.

There will be some that want McGhee away, but I would say most are like myself. Happy for him to stay, but with all the speculation surrounding him and the possibility of him leaving, we need to be thinking ahead. If he stays then great, but if he goes we will have some options ready - at least we should have.

Out of interest, why would Bobby Williamson not be a good choice for us? He is an experienced manager who did a good job when at Kilmarnock. Okay, I know his football maybe isn't the best to watch as any Hibs fan would tell you, and it would be a big difference to go from what we've seen under McGhee to that, but his teams were hard to beat, well drilled and competitive. He took Kilmarnock from the brink of relegation to winning the Scottish Cup and qualification for Europe on more than one occasion, that's not to be sniffed at.

Maybe not the popular choice, but I reckon we could do a lot worse.

Bobby's win record..

Killie...37 percent

HIbs...37 percent

Plymouth...33 percent

Chester...28 percent

He done reasonably well at Killie..

This is the opinion from the Sunday Herald of Bobby at Hibs, which doesnt sound a million miles away from describing the 'Malpas Era'

"The only real risk Hibs take nowadays is in attempting, time and again, to settle for the draw with a defence that should never undertake such a gamble. The only fragment of style they still possess is in the club badge. Yet the entirely visible problems presented by their lumpen style are exacerbated by Williamson's selection choices, particularly when it comes to substitutions. Some of these have been bizarre, to put it mildly.

You get the impression that the players scarcely understand what is expected of them. Certainly their confidence is close to being non- existent. Equally, it is impossible to imagine that much remains of morale when the coach states, baldly: "I can't do any more with them." As admissions of defeat go, that one would shame an Iraqi general. "

Czaba Laszlo seems to appreciate the work he done at Uganda..

BITTER Csaba Laszlo last night launched a furious blast at Bobby Williamson and Uganda after seeing two years of hard work crushed in just 90 disastrous minutes.

The Hearts gaffer took time from preparing for today's encounter at Falkirk to survey the wreckage of his former team. Laszlo left Uganda two months ago having steered the country to the verge of their first African Nations Cup in 35 years. Williamson took over and with two games to go, qualification was there for the taking.

But last weekend in his first game Williamson's Uganda were beaten 3-1 by Niger - a team that hadn't registered a single point in the group until then. Laszlo admitted he couldn't understand why Williamson had not spoken to him before the game for information.

Some comments from Plymouth and Chester fans looking fondly back at their time with Bobby...

"I remember him as a very poor manager who could be somewhat arguementative, and was very relieved when a proper manager turned up who knew how to do the job. No matter what people say, when your club is in trouble, being a regular drinker down on the Barbican is not exactly a good idea for any CCC manager. It was bound to fuel rumours, true or false, and was a bad judgement call"

"BW- fine man, personable, friendly, erudite, he called me at work too and met us down the Brass Ass. However, an Argo manager drinking alone at the Miners every Friday? Not good is it?(not hearsay, I saw him there on numerous occasions and have only just now commented publicly.)

BW - crap manager, failure at every club he's been at - inc Hibs, have a peep at their fan site."

Chester..

"The Buck stops with the Manager, Promotion hopefuls to Relegation Dog Fight in 2 months "

"When everyone finishes wiping the tears away for Bobby 'footballing genius' Williamson you'll realise that actually the guy knows nothing about how to manage a team. I agree that this may not solve some of our club's underlying problems but Bobby certainly made a bad situation worse. Say what you want about our players but they're better than our recent run of dismal form suggests. We've looked so inept at times its unbelievable and the manager has to take responsibilty. Like it or not, we've got a better chance of survival in L2 without him."

Thats enough for me to hope that John Boyle stays well clear! :lol:

I was as pleased as anyone, when he decided to stay with us and not got to Hearts, however he did more than just think about it, he agreed terms as did Leitch, the plane he decided not to board would not have been taking him on his first visit to meet Romanov.

However that is all old news, now we cannot afford to delay the preparations for the new season or be side tracked until another club decide our Managers future.

sadly, aye think mcgee will be off tae aberdeen, too big an opportunity for him to manage one of his old teams. I remember watchin him bein a guest for the bbc for the aberdeen v copenhagen game last season and you could tell he would have loved to be leadin the dons out for a big european game. European football for them too next season so its a no brainer if he is offered the post. If he goes I dont mind as long as we pump em four times next season!

As for a new gaffer I wound'nt want butcher back or believe that leitch or bobby williamson would be the correct move. I think i would like to see either Gary McAllister, Paul Lambert or Colin Calderwood being given the post.

I've seen posts in a few different places suggesting that Jim Jeffries and Billy Brown have already spoke to Willie Miller. So it may not be as clear cut as it suggests.

However to temper that, another post elsewhere suggests that MM and WM met in a bar in Aberdeen last night.

As for a new gaffer I wound'nt want butcher back or believe that leitch or bobby williamson would be the correct move. I think i would like to see either Gary McAllister, Paul Lambert or Colin Calderwood being given the post.

:O

Aye, very good. :lol:

Ofcourse not - and that wasn't my point. I've already said way earlier in the thread, even before Celtic entered the equation, that Aberdeen would offer a greater platform for a manager of his ambition.

I also agree that its entirely prudent of the Motherwell board to be in a position to react swiftly to any change.

My point was to express my surprise at how easy the prospect of McGhee walking away was sitting with some fellow 'Well fans. Calderwood had barely left the building and some seem to be almost willing McGhee away.

if i was Boyle i would say, nay insist (if possible) to McGhee that if he is going to go he does it within the next 7-10 days. At least give us a fighting chance of assembling a squad for Europa League and season 09/10.