Mmg Off To Celtic

Easy Target

I'm not seeing the "clearest indication"....anyone?

Think it's the fact that their search has hit a 'stumbling block' because who they want is in the running for Celtic job ie McGhee. I still think McGhee will be staying though.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Record appears to have put 2 and 2 together and then stated it as fact rather than a probability.

McGhee is quoted as saying he has not applied for any jobs and Aberdeen have said they have a long list of applicants which they are going through.

By the Daily Record's reckoning they prefer to go for McGhee ahead of any applicants and therefore be willing to pay compensation. I don't see the amount of compensation we would require to be much of an issue though as they reported they paid a 7 figure settlement to get rid of the 2 Jimmy's (no wonder they left by mutual consent). Does McGhee then find he has no money to spend at Aberdeen because it's all been spent on managers?

wouldn,t it be nice for us if mm would come forward & say he is going no-where this season & is happy, well maybe that,s too much :mad: staying at mfc. ach i can dream but it is dragging out now. like many of you i fear for our squad with all the media talk of will he wont he? time is marching on & we need to build for europa as well as the forthcoming season so hopefully the speculation will stop sooner than later

"It has been a lengthy task simply going through the dozens of applications. They have come from people currently working in the SPL, former international managers, former Scotland players and ex-international players from throughout Europe - some with UEFA Cup winners' medals.

I'm not seeing the "clearest indication"....anyone?

All that does point to McGhee, without actually saying his name outright. Wouldn't say it's a clear indication either mind you.

wouldn,t it be nice for us if mm would come forward & say he is going no-where this season & is happy, well maybe that,s too much :mad: staying at mfc. ach i can dream but it is dragging out now. like many of you i fear for our squad with all the media talk of will he wont he? time is marching on & we need to build for europa as well as the forthcoming season so hopefully the speculation will stop sooner than later

I dont see why he should when you consider his dream job is vacant right now.

If i knew my dream job, which was a significant step up in my field of work and no doubt a vastly increased salary was available and i was one of a number of candidates for it then noway would i be ruling myself out.

McGhee's doing it the right way. He isn't whoreing himself out, and he isn't making promises to us he can't keep.

Aye but our season starts in less than 4 weeks and we can't afford to fuck about waiting on someone else decide our future.

Aye, and he's not going to stop signing players for us incase he gets the celtic job.

I can hardly see Celtic fans being enamoured by Mark McGhee being brought in and first signings are a couple of boys fae Livy. I don't know the way football managers work, but my guess is that the guy is due a couple of weeks holiday after the season, maybe thats why we havent seen any signings yet?

I am not saying its McGhee's fault, just that we cannot afford to repeat the shambles from last season.

As far as I know no club has actually expressed any interest, it's all been paper talk so far but meanwhile our preparations for the new season and our upcoming European adventure are delayed due to other clubs requirements coming before our own.

I am not saying its McGhee's fault, just that we cannot afford to repeat the shambles from last season.

As far as I know no club has actually expressed any interest, it's all been paper talk so far but meanwhile our preparations for the new season and our upcoming European adventure are delayed due to other clubs requirements coming before our own.

Is that fact? Seriously, I don't know.

If the players are on holiday till the last week of June, Leitch is in Dubai, McGhee presumably has a holiday as well, how are our preparations being delayed?

All that does point to McGhee, without actually saying his name outright. Wouldn't say it's a clear indication either mind you.

Would agree with you on the first two (although the SPL reference doesn't say it includes managers) but who did McGhee win the UEFA Cup with? There's a whole load of people who could be included on that list, including McGhee.

Not stating anything as fact, just that no player in their right mind will sign for a team who may be about to lose their Manager, and no player whose contract has expired is likely to renew until all of this has been resolved either way.

We only have a few weeks before we play our first European game and assuming that we have been speaking to players and agents prior to the season ending all of that preparation may now have been for nothing.

I am not liking the look of this. I think that article does strongly suggest McGhee for Aberdeen. After all I don't think Aberdeen are lining up Coyle, Mowbray, Bilic or Martinez.

Also Aberdeen would not be waiting around unless they had been given the nod by McGhee. They must be waiting because they are fairly confident that McGhee will go if he does not get the Celtic job.

Unfortunately as always it means Celtic get their man, Aberdeen get theirs and we are left scrambling around days before a Euro tie trying to find a manager.

Let's hope JB has anticipated what may happen and is on the case. Love or loathe our Chairman you have to admit that he did ok last time round. He may have to do it all over again.

What difference would it make if McGhee came out and said he was intending to stay on at Motherwell next season. Even if he did it still wouldn't stop all the paper talk, and if some other club want to speak to him they would still come to us and ask.

Look at the Owen Coyle story. Despite having apparently told Celtic he's not interested and was going to talk to Burnley about a new contract, we are still getting stories that Celtic are waiting for him to get back from his holidays to try and talk to him again.

I don't actually see where it says Aberdeen's main target is also wanted by Celtic. Don't get me wrong, I see where the Record journo has written it, but all Miller is saying that with a few other vacancies at the moment, it's proving difficult. Could mean they want someone who Hibs also want. John Hughes??

Perversely Celtic is where my worry lies. I thought McGhee had no chance there initially, but as they work their way down their list I reckon there's more chance he'll get it.

Like you, my concern is the fact that how long the process will take...

I am not worried by Celtic. If they want McGhee then great. I don't think McGhee will be after a single one of our players at Celtic. Whereas at Aberdeen he could and probabally WILL take Hughes/Smith/Klimpl with him. Once their contracts run out it is a logical step for Reynolds and Clarkson to take next season as well.

That would give me the dry heaves, at Celtic he won't bother us.

I am DEFINATELY concerned tho that McGhee will hardly be busting his ass to get players in in the next few weeks. His mind will be elsewhere and will he even WANT to sign players for Motherwell, perhaps strengtheing us with a few gems, knowing 'Well could be the opposition next year? :D

IMHO I don't think McGhee is going anywhere unless he is offered the Celtic job or a decent job down south. I am not saying that he is not in the running for either the Aberdeen or Hibs jobs, but they have to approach us as he is under contract. Hibs is a non starter, but even for Aberdeen - Miller would want to avoid paying compensation as he is from Aberdeen! This may especially be the case if the Setanta money does not appear.

The flip side of course is that Motherwell FC could well do with compensation if the Setanta deal as is looking likely falls through. Maybe it would be in our interests if Aberdeen or any other club come in for him right now.

Still as I said I doubt he will be unveiled as new manager at Pittodrie or Easter Rd anytime soon.

Would agree with you on the first two (although the SPL reference doesn't say it includes managers) but who did McGhee win the UEFA Cup with? There's a whole load of people who could be included on that list, including McGhee.

That's just me getting confused with the old Cup Winners Cup that he won.

Same thing anyway.. :D

I suppose it is the same thing now.

I can't see Aberdeen being put off paying compensation the way some people think they will. They paid a fortune to get rid of Calderwood and must have taken the likelihood of paying for a new manager into account when making that decision.

If he does go to Aberdeen and does a reasonable job up there, their fans will have to go through the same crap we have every time there's a suitable vacancy.

If McGhee is going, and it seems likely that he will be, then I wish to fuck he'd just hurry up and go somewhere so that we can start planning ahead for next season. We need to strengthen our wafer thin squad or we could seriously struggle next season and that isn't going to happen while we have a manager who is just waiting to be offered a job at at least two other clubs, so the sooner this whole thing is resolved, the better for Motherwell Football Club.

If McGhee is going, and it seems likely that he will be, then I wish to fuck he'd just hurry up and go somewhere so that we can start planning ahead for next season. We need to strengthen our wafer thin squad or we could seriously struggle next season and that isn't going to happen while we have a manager who is just waiting to be offered a job at at least two other clubs, so the sooner this whole thing is resolved, the better for Motherwell Football Club.

Spot on mate!

I have to say that if McGhee is going anywhere it is most likely to be Aberdeen. Celtic appear to have approached Coyle's agent, and spoke to Swansea about Martinez, and that tells me McGhee is unlikely to be on their list as he would surely have been approached before those two, neither of whom have experience in the SPL.

I'd actually be more concerned if McGhee went to Aberdeen rather than Celtic, for the simple reason that should he move to Aberdeen(or Hibs aswell for that matter), would he look to take any of our players with him? Clarkson for example, or maybe Reynolds? It would be less likely for him to try and sign those players as Celtic manager, as you'd imagine that they would target players of a higher calibre, but at Aberdeen, that wouldn't be the case.

In my opinion, this won't be resolved until Celtic appoint a new manager. If that is McGhee then we move on and look for a replacement, but if it's not, then that opens the door to Aberdeen and possibly Hibs aswell and therefore the whole thing could run and run for a lot longer. That is something we do not need.