Aberdeen Say Managers Job Is Mark Mcghee's If He Wants It

Well Well

We're all desparate for information and each new rumour or press report is discussed here as 'the new truth'

The vast majority of it is bullshit.

In all of the various manager speculation (Celtic, Aberdeen, Sunderland, Motherwell, Falkirk, Burnley, Wigan etc etc.) I've yet to read that any club has been officially approached for any manager (apart from Bruce who has been given permission to speak to Sunderland as compensation has been sorted).

Another report last week stated that McGhees compensation is fixed at £200K for certain named clubs. I took that with a pinch of salt - and am treating what the P&J have reported with regard to compensation as complete pish.

My own gut feel is that John Boyle would never have enhanced McGhee and Leech's T&Cs without having some sort of safeguard in place. C'mon guys that's just never gonna happen.

The first point that we need to start untwisting our knickers is when our own club report that they've been approached by a club for permission to speak to McGhee or have either accepted or declined a resignation - outwith that, even though I get caught up in it maself, its all bollocks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say that we wouldn't be getting any compensation but what the quote suggests to me is that we may get a reduced compensation deal from certain clubs. That's just the sense I'm getting...

The only direct quote i see is....

"Now I have an understanding with my chairman, John Boyle, concerning my future."

Which could just as easily mean that he is allowed to talk to anyone thats interested.

There is no mention of money in McGhee's quotes, the only suggestion of no comp is what the paper has written. Most people here don't take the Record or Sun as factual reporting, why does this paper have more substance?

My opinion is that I don't see him joining Aberdeen while the Celtic job is up in the air, unless he's been told he is 100% not getting it.

And the Calderwood to Falkirk, Hughes to us suggestion looks to me that we would be the losers of that deal.

I didn't say that we wouldn't be getting any compensation but what the quote suggests to me is that we may get a reduced compensation deal from certain clubs. That's just the sense I'm getting...

Melvin - all we can see from that is that it looks as if there's something 'set' - nothing indicates whether its enhanced or reduced levels.

When I signed for man Utd - I had a get out clase that said I could leave for Motherwell if they offered £25k

Unfortunately the offer never came.

(before I woke up for work)

As I said at the start of the week , for me the biggest concern is sorting it all out asap. Huge fan of McGhee but he has bigger fish to fry and I think we are all well aware of that.

The pre-season is going to be short enough , without having to make a panic managerial appointment.

He may have certain clauses and a understanding with the Chairman but they don't involve no compensation... That's just silly and I have no idea where the P&J have got that information from!

'Flow

I had seen one paper reporting that it would be around the £200K figure if Celtic wanted him. Once again though that's down to where the paper gets it's info from.

I would imagine that Aberdeen would be hard pushed to find that sort of money, as well as at least match his wages, a transfer kitty then pay any other compo if McGhee wanted Leitch to go as well.

All if's and buts' and present though and we should really be looking ahead to a few weeks time and what players we are likely to sign for the start of the Europa League.

I had seen one paper reporting that it would be around the £200K figure if Celtic wanted him. Once again though that's down to where the paper gets it's info from.

I would imagine that Aberdeen would be hard pushed to find that sort of money, as well as at least match his wages, a transfer kitty then pay any other compo if McGhee wanted Leitch to go as well.

All if's and buts' and present though and we should really be looking ahead to a few weeks time and what players we are likely to sign for the start of the Europa League.

Iwould be inclined to say to celtic, " ok bring your biscuit tin over and lets talk" then when they arrive I would say " not that biscuit tin, the bigger one" then when they come back I'd say .." looks like you might need both biscuit tins.............. And a cheque book! " :rolleyes::nod::thumbup:

The Courier - Dundee / Dundee United

The Scotsman - Hearts / Hibs

The P & J - Aberdeen

The above newspapers are the last places that I look for unbiased reports concerning these teams. Whilst they do have inside contacts no doubt, they have a habit of telling their readers just what they want to hear.

Take any of their reports with a pinch of salt.

The Courier - Dundee / Dundee United

The Scotsman - Hearts / Hibs

The P & J - Aberdeen

The above newspapers are the last places that I look for unbiased repoprts concerning these teams. Whilst they do have inside contacts no doubt, they have a habit of telling their readers just what they want to hear.

Take any of their reports with a pinch of salt.

and coming from a man who's worked for 2 of the 3, i say you're absolutely right!!

Just back from Aberdeen this afternoon (was up there with work for a couple of days) and I was reading an article in the Aberdeen Evening Express last night by Joe Harper. The article was basically about guys that wouldn't be suitable for the new manager of Aberdeen. Top of the list - Mark McGhee. Harper's reasons for him not being suitable were he's never won anything as a manager and he had under-acheived at Motherwell. :P

Just back from Aberdeen this afternoon (was up there with work for a couple of days) and I was reading an article in the Aberdeen Evening Express last night by Joe Harper. The article was basically about guys that wouldn't be suitable for the new manager of Aberdeen. Top of the list - Mark McGhee. Harper's reasons for him not being suitable were he's never won anything as a manager and he had under-acheived at Motherwell. :P

Didn't underachieve last season did he? Given that realistically we were never going to challenge for the title how much more could he have achieved?

Dons fan in peace.

Harper speaks utter shite most of the time as do the vast majority of reporters for the Evening Express. To be honest, Im quite shocked that Calderwood was fired in the first place. Yes we've had a pretty shocking run of results in the Cups and the football at times this season has been turgid at best, but what more could he do given the budget? 4th place and another shot at Europe is a pretty good return considering the shite start to the season. Not only that, we've consistently been a top 6 side since he took over and had that cracking UEFA Cup run a couple of years ago. Calderwood was never going to be 100% popular with the fans and he has made a total tit of himself in the media, but I for one thank him for bringing back some semblance of success over the last few seasons and for bringing us some fantastic European nights.

Some sections of the Dons support are very fickle, if we get this appointment wrong then 5 years of hard work are down the toilet. Do we really want a return to the Alex Miller/Steve Paterson years?

Personally I think McGhee would be the perfect choice for us, he would command respect from the players, he'd get the fans united again and would get us playing better football. However, his loyalty is questionable. He's walked out on several clubs thinking the grass would be greener elsewhere, only to find the cows had already shit on it.

Good luck with your own Europa League campaign next year, hopefully you lot can enjoy a similar European adventure as we did in 2007.

He's walked out on several clubs thinking the grass would be greener elsewhere, only to find the cows had already shit on it.

I like that! To be fair that is one of the main reasons he did not jump ship last summer to Hearts. Well that and the fact the man in charge is about as mentally stable as Amy Winehouse.

I think McGhee has what it takes to manage at the top. He will not go to Celtic but I would be more than confident that he would do as good a job if not better than Mowbray or Coyle for example. Thankfully their fans are so deluded they are waiting for the Messiah.

McGhee got a little bit carried away with his success down south and it came back to bite him. He is going to make doubly sure that if and when he moves from Motherwell, it is to a bigger and better club and one that if he does well at will give him the stepping stone to the Old Firm or the Premiership.

The truth is he cannot afford too many more F#ck ups in his career. Of course he may yet manage Scotland if as I suspect Burley continues to make a pigs ear of things.

The thing is. He's walked out on one club. Now, I now mathematician but last time I checked one club is not several clubs, and it was his very first Club!

He walked out on Reading to move to Leicester, walked out on Leicester to join Wolves, and left Millwall due to "bad form", only to take the Brighton job 13 days later.

Now I'm not a mathematician either, but I'm pretty sure three clubs would be "several".

He was sacked by Wolves for poor form

Mark McGhee was sacked from Millwall (or how they like to put it Mutual Consent) for failing to live up to agreements - from both sides.

He was also sacked by Brighton for much the same thing.

He then rejected Hearts to stay at Motherwell.

So out of 6 jobs he has walked away from two. Both at the start of his career.