Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

Looks like we will have EVEN LESS spondoonies to spend in the near future..

Cheerio Craig Burley!!!!!

Wonder if SKY will steam in and take on Scottish fitba' again. The return of 6.30 Sunday Night games?!

Maybe BBC or ITV even could get involved, it isn't that bad a package, especially with the Old Firm games and most games against them aren't the 7-0 walks in the park they used to be when Sky showed them back in the day.

If someone takes us on I wouldn't be that adverse to Setanta going down toilet avenue. The package is crap, viewing quality is laughable and I have it on Freeview which means I only get Set 1 and miss alot of football!! If Sky get Scottish Football as well as the Prem/Spanish and Golf Majors they have already it would be a no brainer to switch imo.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...Being a Virgin customer aint too happy at that news (free setanta). Don't really care who shows SPL games as long as I get them for bugger all as part of my package. Don't think SKY would be interested in Scotland and if they did it will be a fraction of the Setanta deal (who cares the Old Filth always get the lions share of any deal anyway). :P

This will affect others far worse than ourselves. Talking to a Kilmarnock fan today he confirmed to me they would've disappeared had they gone down. This could be the straw which forces Scottish Football to change radically.

From the Rancid

Anxious wait for SPL clubs as Setanta fail to make £3m SPL TV payment

Jun 2 2009 by James Traynor and Chris Roberts

SPL bosses were last night bracing themselves for financial meltdown.

It is understood Setanta yesterday failed to pay the final instalment of this season's deal - just over three million pounds - sending Scottish footballs top club's into a panic.

The company's financial woes are well documented and Scotland's leading clubs have been fearing the worst for some time as they depend heavily on the company's money.

Setanta were contracted to broadcast Scottish football until next year but that deal, which brought in s14m a year, was renegotiated to run until 2014 at a whopping s31m a year.

The company have worked feverishly to find solutions to their problems but there are some within the SPL who fear their own financial situation will be hit badly.

However a few SPL sources last night said they remain confident Setanta will find a way out of their troubles.

The Old Firm and Aberdeen were against accepting Setanta's deal, preferring to go instead with Sky, but no one was gloating last night - they all need Setanta's money, including the big two.

A spokesman for the company said: "Setanta will continue to talk to rights holders, investors and other interested parties with a view to reaching a successful conclusion which will save the company."

Hell mend anyone who counts on TV money as part of their budget, it should have been treated as a bonus from the start, instead it's handed out to greedy players and agents. Nae sympathy and that includes ourselves.

What you going to do though, stick to the wages we payed back in the day before TV money was a significant part of the income? Nice idea and one I'd wish clubs had went with, passing the savings on to the fans meaning lower gate prices and maybe bigger crowds watching the games.

If we had done that though chances are we lose out on players to teams spending it on players wages etc, end up going down and well little TV money to worry about anyway.

But it never gonna happen. The whole fabric of society would need to change first.

I do hope after the lessons of ITV digital we not mortgaged our future on this anticipated revenue or it could be some bad times ahead.

I'm not going to do anything, you've said exactly what I believe should have happened from the start so anyone who finds themselves in trouble through a shortfall in TV money needs their arses booted right out the door for their mismanagement. Hopefully Sky ain't far behind with money troubles cos them fuckers have played a huge part in the destruction of fitba' as we know it.

I do hope after the lessons of ITV digital we not mortgaged our future on this anticipated revenue or it could be some bad times ahead.

Sadly in football lessons are rarely learn't and the problems of the past soon forgotton!!

As it's only £3M quid that setanta havent paid up I am hoping the damage to a club such as ours will be limited. Its probably a safe assumption that the ol' scum will be taking around 70% or 80% of that for themselves with the rest either divided equally or based on league position or games televised - who knows! On that basis though we could be losing out on about £200K and whilst thats not to be sneezed at it's the clubs that are already a few million in debt and needing that money to service interest payments and bank charges that could really suffer and will soon have creditors knockin on the door. :lol::lol:

I'm not going to do anything, you've said exactly what I believe should have happened from the start so anyone who finds themselves in trouble through a shortfall in TV money needs their arses booted right out the door for their mismanagement. Hopefully Sky ain't far behind with money troubles cos them fuckers have played a huge part in the destruction of fitba' as we know it.

Finding data from football clubs to compare on how reliant they are on TV income seems to be difficult. Football-Finances seem to the best I can find on the internet. They collate figures published by SPL clubs and arrange them in a way that fans can compare what their clubs are spending across similar categories such as income, debt, staff wages and salaries etc. According to this site, of the clubs that publish a detailed breakdown of their incomes we are the most reliant on money from TV and radio broadcast deals.

Only Motherwell, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Rangers publish this and of these teams we are the most reliant on broadcast money. 33% of our income would seem to be coming from TV and Radio money. Obviously it's hard to tell how severe a problem this could be as this site doesn't have information from other clubs which would be more comparable in terms of finances. That said a third of our income does seem to be too large an amount to assume that we will be unscathed if the Setanta deal does collapse.

Any guesses who could be in trouble? I would have though Killie and Inverness would be struggling.

I'm thinking that the SPL might be bluffing on that one to try and force Setanta into paying every penny they can. But would it surprise you if it were any club outwith the Old Firm? I know we run a reasonably sensible ship down Fir Park way but even we would have factored TV revenues into our budget...

But this would not only give Sky complete control of UK footie, it'd also remove the only real competition they have for football.

But this would not only give Sky complete control of UK footie, it'd also remove the only real competition they have for football.

As Malky points out though, their schedule is already heaving. People complain about kick offs being moved just now. Wait til you're asked to play at midnight on a Thursday because SKY have two hours to fill.

Seriously

Saturdays -TAKEN

Sundays - TAKEN

Mondays - English league shown

Tuesdays - Champions league

Wednesday - Champions league

Thursdays - Europa League to compete with

Fridays - Championship/league football.

Where would we fit in with that schedule??

As Malky points out though, their schedule is already heaving. People complain about kick offs being moved just now. Wait til you're asked to play at midnight on a Thursday because SKY have two hours to fill.

Seriously

Saturdays -TAKEN

Sundays - TAKEN

Mondays - English league shown

Tuesdays - Champions league

Wednesday - Champions league

Thursdays - Europa League to compete with

Fridays - Championship/league football.

Where would we fit in with that schedule??

Saturday mornings, Sunday mornings, Friday evenings, or 2 in the morning. Anything is possible with them I guess.

Saturday mornings, Sunday mornings, Friday evenings, or 2 in the morning. Anything is possible with them I guess.

That's my point, Ricky. They already have an EPL game on Saturday lunchtime. And most weeks they have an early Sunday game as well. I think they show league football most weeks on a Friday night too. Which leaves us your last option...