Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading a few articles about Sultana the noo.

BBC sayin that the Scottish Govt are prepared to assist (dunno if that means financially) and that there are new investors that have come forward.

Thats all well and good - and I was one of the mugs that was payin £11 a month or whatever for their 'one channel' freeview package. Which I cancelled the other day.

Problem is they were set up to cater for the OF by covering their away games and the clashes between the two of them by and large. With the exception of Hartson (IMHO) all of their presenters and pundits were pish - Scott Booth, Burley, Thon Aussie Fud, McNee the lot.

If they do survive they need to work harder to make themselves the automatic chice for all the football fans in Scotland - to the extent that we all feel that we're missing out if we're not subscribed.

They had enough free time on their channel to give each af the SPL clubs an hour 'Motherwell TV' of 'Killie TV' slot but they didn't (whether thats on setanta 1, 2, or 3,).

In truth in it's current form there's next to hee haw in it for fans outwith the OF - so until they get their package right. I'm out.

Well if that's the case time for SPL chairmen to grow a set and insist on a reasonable financial package when our teams are featured against them. A TV deal is no use to them if they have no opposition.

did we not have a chance to stand up to them with the 5% ticket charge last season and everyone except falkirk bottled it

did we not have a chance to stand up to them with the 5% ticket charge last season and everyone except falkirk bottled it

In much the same way as the Diddy 10 threatened to go it alone a few years back ad guess what.......? Bottled it.

Like I said all 10 chairman need to grow a set and stand up to the big 2 jobies once and for all, the ball is actually in our court here cos if they don't have any opposition they can't play their games and receive TV revenue accordingly.

Agree with many others here....time to stand up to OF.

But is that easier said than done? They are bigger and more powerful than the rest of Scottish football combined. Mightn't picking a fight with them result in cutting of your nose to spite your face, so it's everyone else who loses out ? Need to be shrewd.

But is that easier said than done? They are bigger and more powerful than the rest of Scottish football combined. Mightn't picking a fight with them result in cutting of your nose to spite your face, so it's everyone else who loses out ? Need to be shrewd.

100% agree. You don't just charge in and cause a barney. You bide your time and pick your place. However clubs must start standing up to the OF and this is one battleground perfectly suited to a limited engagement.

It also assumes that all 10 SPL boards outside of the OF are in agreement. If one or two are happy enough with the way the money is divided, then they aren't going to rock the boat. Just because we want to see a change doesn't mean they do.

The OF can't have their cake and eat it too. They alwasy complain that they are papped out of Europe due to weak domestic competition but their TV revenue policy perpetuates that weak competition. Level the playing field, give us all a fair shake and you'll see a stronger SPL and better Euro performances. But, then, the OF might not fill the top 2 spots year in and year out.... :O

Sultana have started to take now customers....

TROUBLED Setanta started signing up subscribers again last night amid growing hopes of a £40million rescue.

Russian-born tycoon Len Blavatnik's £20million deal for a 51 per cent stake was yesterday close to being completed.

Senior sources say another £20million will come from other investors - giving the firm a new lease of life.

Blavatnik's injection of cash will come through his company Access Industries.

Yesterday Blavatnik's spokesman said: "We can confirm we submitted a proposal to the Setanta board to acquire a majority interest, refinancing the company.

"The proposal is subject to a number of pre-conditions being met.

"Access believes this proposal would secure the future of the broadcaster for customers, football and employees."

Other investors will make up the rest of the cash, with the deal due to be sealed within a week.

The money could secure the future of some SPL clubs, as it emerged several could go under if the channel could not afford to pay for its exclusive deal to broadcast matches.

League bosses tried to reach a deal for the £3m owed earlier this week but left empty handed.

Setanta's board are so confident the proposal will go ahead they began taking on new subscribers for the first time since last Tuesday.

A Setanta source said: "This is fantastic news for the business."

A source added: "We have heard the vibes are positive but we are waiting to see how it all pans out.

"There is £3million outstanding, which needs to be sorted out."

Blavatnik, 52, fled Russia with his family in 1978. He founded Access Industries in 1986. It now has interests in Europe and the US.

Blavatnik, who is worth £4.25billion and describes himself as a proud American, has a share in Warner Music Group and is involved with Top Up TV.

His magic touch deserted him when he invested in chemical company LyondellBasell.

It collapsed in January, leaving huge debts for creditors including Royal Bank of Scotland..

I think the old firm deserve a larger share of the TV revenue.

Heard that the SPL gets the 5th highest tv money in europe (i think behind premiership, championship, Spain, Italy)

Take Rangers and Celtic out our league and you think we'd get more money than the German or French leagues?

Saying that they are scum - FTOF

Heard that the SPL gets the 5th highest tv money in europe (i think behind premiership, championship, Spain, Italy)

Take Rangers and Celtic out our league and you think we'd get more money than the German or French leagues?

Not sure that can be accurate. I remember the discussion last season about how we couldn't expect to compete with Nancy because they got something in the region of €35 million (can't remember the exact amount) worth of TV money for coming 4th in the French league.

Even the winners of the SPL don't get as much as that.

TV money for a particular league should be split evenly between the clubs in the league at that time.

league prize money for positions should be separate.

We aint gonna improve the product in the park unless we evenly distribute more of the wealth.

the sooner we put the brakes on the OF taking a larger slice of every pie the better.

As many have said - they've got to play somebody! An in the interests of making the league a competition in the dim and distant future insted of the mind numbingly repetitive two horse race. it's in everyones interest that money is divvied up a bit better.

It is isn't incorrect to suggest that we get more TV money due to the presence of the old firm, but as pointed out if they weren't playing the rest of us then how much would they get then? An equitable share of the money makes more sense than allowing the rich to get richer.

Also if it wasn't for a history of religious bitterness and gloryhunting tacked onto it they wouldn't be the oversized parasites that they are and we might live a country where we had less of a gulf at the top and be a more rounded product that would still attract a healthy TV interest rather than the unhealthy ghoulfest that is Rangers and Celtic. Sadly wishful thinking on my part but if only it were so.

Looks like Setanta have till Friday to sort themselves. The EPL have announced that if they don't get paid by Friday they will flog the 46 live matches Setanta have for next season to someone else.

Must be great to have someone waiting to pounce - no chance of such a deal for the SPL!

Hell mend the SPL / setanta though.

poor spectacle / high admission prices / low attendances / old firm away games / playing each other 4 times a season / negative media & pundits

we watch our team because we always will. but in general the products crap. If ICT was playing Killie in my back garden I'd draw the curtains

Well it's better than the Blue Square that Setanta show. If you want to watch Ebbsfleet Utd this season it will cost you 15 quid at the gate.

Jesus :D . So much for grassroots football. That is scandalous.

Wonder whether Setanta will find the money by Friday, and even if they do, it might only be a temporary reprieve as they are in serious straits.

Hyperpathetical question here

So Sultana were due £3M a few weeks back to the SPL and defaulted

They're due £30M to the EPL today.

Where doe the SPL stand if Sultana settle the EPL claim in full today?

PS - Tha answer 'up shit creek' is not allowed.