Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

Hyperpathetical question here

So Sultana were due £3M a few weeks back to the SPL and defaulted

They're due £30M to the EPL today.

Where doe the SPL stand if Sultana settle the EPL claim in full today?

PS - Tha answer 'up shit creek' is not allowed.

If I were the SPL I'd want to know why Setanta paid the EPL £10m last week when they have £3m outstanding to the them. If I am correct, the EPL payment was in relation to the rights for the new season whereas the SPL money was owed for LAST season. Stinks to high heaven either way !

Stuart.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were the SPL I'd want to know why Setanta paid the EPL £10m last week when they have £3m outstanding to the them. If I am correct, the EPL payment was in relation to the rights for the new season whereas the SPL money was owed for LAST season. Stinks to high heaven either way !

Stuart.

Much the same as our authorities here are shit scared to stand up to the all powerful Old Firm jobbies I would imagine.

we watch our team because we always will. but in general the products crap. If ICT was playing Killie in my back garden I'd draw the curtains

I completely take your point, Steve, but I'd do the exact same if there was an Old Firm game being played in my garden.

On the other thing, was it not the case when we were in admin that the creditors who were owed the most had to be paid first? I could be wrong but I thought that was the rule. It does stink though.

I completely take your point, Steve, but I'd do the exact same if there was an Old Firm game being played in my garden.

On the other thing, was it not the case when we were in admin that the creditors who were owed the most had to be paid first? I could be wrong but I thought that was the rule. It does stink though.

on the first one re. the OF - You're right - that's a given - my point was just about they pick some real mince games to show.

on the second one - Sultana are not in administration - in fact they've recently had a moderate influx of cash from that Ruski bloke. So I'm not really sure if that rule of thumb / principle applies.

Stuart.

it's in the spl's long term benefit for setanta to keep the epl sweet first and foremost.

if the epl take premiership games away from setanta subscribers would plummet and that'd probably be the end of it.

But they are not in admin (yet) are they?

I don't think so, but I was wonderring if there was a similar law even when you're not in admin. Just trying to find some justification in paying them first.

Companies can pay in any order they wish - there is no obligation to pay one company before another. However that all changes if they go into administration and there are set rules on the priority of creditors - the taxman is generally at the top of the list !

In this instance it's the issue that they defaulted on the SPL payment, and which technically the SPL could now pursue and bankrupt Setanta.

Stuart.

That's it the Setanta deal with the EPL has been terminated!!!! Worrying times ahead!!!!

That's probably the final nail in the coffin as far as Setanta's concerned. Hopefully someone else will pick up the Scottish TV rights but it probably won't be anywhere near the money Setanta had agreed.

That's probably the final nail in the coffin as far as Setanta's concerned. Hopefully someone else will pick up the Scottish TV rights but it probably won't be anywhere near the money Setanta had agreed.

Was going to wait and see before cancelling my Setanta on Freeview but reckon I'll just cancel my direct debit just now, what are they gona do? They are the one cancelling football.

Game over, UNLESS they see the SPL as the ONLY thing that may keep them alive, then again I doubt it.

Was going to wait and see before cancelling my Setanta on Freeview but reckon I'll just cancel my direct debit just now, what are they gona do? They are the one cancelling football.

Game over, UNLESS they see the SPL as the ONLY thing that may keep them alive, then again I doubt it.

Aye, was wondering what to do myself. I pay every year at the end of July but not too sure how this will work out. I don't want to be giving them a years subscription and then they pull the plug. Any thoughts?

Aye, was wondering what to do myself. I pay every year at the end of July but not too sure how this will work out. I don't want to be giving them a years subscription and then they pull the plug. Any thoughts?

Yeah their PR is feckin sh1te. At no point during this whole debacle has anyone from Setanta come out publicly and said anything. All we as subscribers have had to do is put up with news stories about evrything but how they are trying to save their skins.

It looks like game over and I will be cancelling my monthly credit card payment immediately as I am quite sure it will be taken on the 1st of July despite them going belly up. They only have themselves to blame.

That said I hope someone else picks up the rights or the majority of the SPL and Motherwell will be in big trouble!

The EPL is hot property at the moment and they will have no trouble re-selling these rights. The SPL however is shite and they know they won't be getting anywhere near the money Setanta was offering so they're hoping that the company can pull through I'd imagine.

Well shitanta was doing alright by all accounts when they were only showing the SPL so I don't think going with just SPL, Internationals and FA cup will harm them too much. It might be a bit like the old gym membershi scenario. How many folk will actually phone up and cancel it?

If I was them, I would just get rid of that woeful excuse of a news channel, sack Stuart Lovell and Jim Delahunt then the books would look a lot better and they might be a viable option to continue.

I phoned to cancel on the 6th June they said they would take the last payment on the 15th June and it would go off air on the 15th July you must give them notice. I was going to into the bank and cancel direct debt but did not know how i woulg go doing that.

You got to wonder why the SPL are still twiddling their thumbs. The Premier League in England dumped them and will re-sell their rights. What do the SPL do meantime. Put their heads in the sand and hope all is ok! <_<
They aren't twiddling their thumbs. They are already in negotiations with ESPN and Sky. Details in the Herald today.

Was saying to a mate down in Cardiff today that ESPN is probably the broadcaster you want. Ideally they view SPL as the way to get a foothold in the British Football Broadcasting Market and view us as the stepping stone to a Premiership package much like Setanta did. There is certainly very little chance of ESPN suffering financial hardship in the future with their huge market in the Americas.

ESPN would be a great choice for me, as they already stream (free) live games from other countries and would likely to the same for the SPL. And as you say, with the might of the Disney corporation behind them, they are going to be financially secure long-term.