Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was them, I would just get rid of that woeful excuse of a news channel, sack Stuart Lovell and Jim Delahunt then the books would look a lot better and they might be a viable option to continue.

One of the reasons they are in the mire, setting up their news channel ate up LOTS of valuble capital and was clearly extremely short sighted in that they would NEVER come close to competing with Sky Sports News - which you get on freeview anyway.

They should also abandon the attempt at running a show like Gillete Soccer Saturday. It is very poor in comparison.

Hopefully Setanta can survive through this huge setback but it aint looking good.

Hopefully we can get another package in place for next season. This country needs tv money in football.

i think setanta will go as they cannot keep going losing money but i think the bbc or chanel 5 may bid for it but it may be for less money than we are getting at the moment just need to wait and see what happens this week but it doesnt look good :nod:

One of the reasons they are in the mire, setting up their news channel ate up LOTS of valuble capital and was clearly extremely short sighted in that they would NEVER come close to competing with Sky Sports News - which you get on freeview anyway.

Virgin TV were complaining about the charges from Sky and decided not to pay the extortionate amounts Sky were asking for their Premium Channels. Thus Virgin customers did not get Sky Sports News or Sky Sports One for several months. This also led to Sky putting some Champions league matches on both those channels purely to stick two fingers up to Virgin and their customers. At the same time pestering Virgin customers to switch to Sky.

This encouraged setanta to bring forward their plans for a Sportsd News channel and Virgin promoted it for weeks leading up to it's first broadcast, and believe me when you haven't had a news channel for months it was more than welcome. However, Sky were quick to settle their problems with Virgin and we quickly got Sky Sports news back, people quickly returned to what they were used to signalling the beginning of the end for Setanta. Call me a cynic but I believe Sky baited the hook and reeled them in.

Call me a cynic but I believe Sky baited the hook and reeled them in.

Although could be a reason but another and the accepted one was BSkyB were going to lose out on the UKTV channels including Gold, Living, H&L, Bravo and Hallmark amongst others...

Changing channels: SPL ready to line up new television deal

The SPL are preparing to pull the plug on troubled broadcaster Setanta today to secure a lucrative new television deal with either Sky or ESPN.

Scotland's top-flight have been involved in delicate negotiations for weeks in a bid to prevent their clubs going into financial meltdown as the Irish-based company hurtles towards administration.

Unless Setanta are saved at the eleventh hour, an announcement on a new deal is expected this week. Sportsmail has learned that Disney-owned ESPN are willing to pay £112.5million to conclude a four-year deal and Sky up to £87.5m.

Changing channels: The SPL are set to follow the English Premier League's lead and drop their deal with troubled pay TV broadcasters Setanta Sports

Setanta's outlay for the same period was £125m, but they are now close to collapse following the English Premier League's decision to terminate their contract with immediate effect.

Despite Sky's offer being lower than ESPN's, the Rupert Murdoch-owned company could still offer better exposure for the Scottish game. It leaves the SPL in a similar position to last summer, when Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen all favoured a deal with Sky during television rights negotiations, while the rest of the top 12 clubs opted to extend the Setanta contract for four years to 2010.

Friday's collapse of US tycoon Len Blavatnik's £20m rescue plan for Setanta appears to have sounded the death knell for the broadcasters, and they could go into administration as early as today.

The SPL have already had to bail out clubs to the tune of £3m after Setanta missed the final payment of last season's agreement.

But the league remain confident that Setanta's demise will not trigger catastrophic effects for their cash-starved clubs.

'This Setanta crisis has been going on for weeks now and it would have been negligent for the Premier League to sit back and do nothing behind the scenes during this time,' a senior Scottish football source told Sportsmail.

'The problem is that you can't go public when you already have a deal in place with Setanta. But the truth is that talks have been ongoing with two major television companies over the past four weeks.

'We should be hearing an announcement on that within the next week. Nobody is holding out any hope for Setanta,' he said.

Bidding closes today in the auction for the 46-game package that Setanta held with the English Premier League. Sky and ESPN are expected to split them down the middle.

The same broadcasters will then compete for the rights to show live SPL matches, with no terrestrial broadcaster believed to be willing, nor able, to find the funds to screen Scottish football.

What is unclear is how Sky, if they take over the contract, would fit Scottish fixtures into an already packed schedule of football games.

Asked whether ESPN would bid for the SPL packages, spokesman Damion Potter said yesterday: 'It's a hypothetical situation as those rights are not available.'

In other news, Livingston today face slipping into administration for the second time in the club's short 14-year history if chairman Angelo Massone fails to settle a £10,000 rent payment with West Lothian Council.

If ESPN won the rights, would they be pay-per-view, subscription or free-to-air (well, free once you've paid your Sky subscription)?

I'll be happy if we just go back to Sky. It'll be funny watching Charlie Nicholas pretend to know which two teams are actually playing...

Tbh i'd rather go back to SKY aswell. Like it says in the article it will offer better exposure of the Scottish game. Setanta's coverage was pish while SKY were always a step ahead of them when it came to the build up of games etc. Bring back Jim White and Champagne Charlie! And also the 5 past 6 kick off's on a Sunday! :O

I would think that ESPN will sort a deal with Setanta, if they get the rights. Unless they are trying to use this confusion to establish another Channell, maybe even a stand-alone pay-tv.

Co-incidently (spelling?!) ESPNA had a Free-to-air weekend, there have always been talks about ESPNA joining Sky as Sky already shows ESPN Classics, which could lead to ESPN showing SPL via Sky, which would mean that Setanta is done and dusted (if they are not already anyway)

We had different thing going on in Germnay with the Bundesliga rights and stuff. You can not imagine what is happening behind closed doors... So be aware for a nice surprise...

Tbh i'd rather go back to SKY aswell.

I wouldn't ... costs me an extra 20 quid a month (i.e. doubles my cable subscription fee) to get Sky Sports here compared to the package that includes Setanta, and there's no way I'm paying them that just to watch us get humped by Rangers or Celtic once every couple of months!

Looks like another nail in the coffin of setanta as the SPL confirm that they are actively persuing a new broadcaster for season 2009/10 and beyond after setanta failed to meet an extended deadline to pay the £3m it was due to pay

I can't see Sky doing anything other than using SPL as filler. Take the extra ESPN money, at least unlike Setanta they not likely to go into meltdown. Don't really care if I don't have the channel, no doubt BBC or STV will negociate some highlights package like they have up unti lnow.

Well, they could slot the 1 game in on a Saturday 3ish, or maybe saturday 5ish....

Can't. EU/UEFA some beaurocratic leg saying NO game can be screelned live at 3pm on a saturday except special circumstances (Cup finals etc..). Quite right too.

Sat 5ish will be the Setanta slot that Sky will pick up to show Man U games from Old Trafford.

We will be looking at Friday night, Sunday Night or 11 AM on Sunday morning (lots of Euro games play then - God won't be happy but all we have)

We WILL be a schedule filler on SKy - apart from OF games and we will have to take what we get.

Sure they'll find a slot but pretty sure it can't be saturday 3ish.

The early saturday evening slot a possibility, setanta had a lot of those games but SKY look likely to pick up one batch of the two packages setanta lost so sunday lunchtime might be the place. Possibly tweaking there sunday layout, who knows. Don't care all that much, though less disruption the better, I'd rather we pocketed the substantial difference in cash ESPN seem to be offering.