Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got to hand it to the BBC. It keeps changing every few minutes.

What is the contract worth and for how long - it is SIMPLES!!

I was getting upset at £65m over 5 years, but the last I saw on Ceefax was £65m for 60 games per season till end of 2011-2012 season. Then an option for a further two.

SO What is it to be??

Is it £65m for 3 years with a further 2 year extension which on the face of it is not too bad. Or is it the derisory £65m over 5 years. It is not rocket science BBC :blink:

I know that for the ESPN Premiership games it is going to be the standard SKY production with the same pundits/presenters so my money would be on a similar arrangement for our league, which i assume would mean the old school team of White/Nicholas/Provan etc.

Happy with that..................... :P

I hate the Scum as much as anyone, but set that aside and read the 2 statements, and tell me how or why you disagree with them.

Also, Celtic and Rangers have had Joint Venture agreements in place with Setanta for years now to produce their own TV channels, so if they raised concerns a year ago about Setanta's financial state (and I know for a fact that it's been a concern to them for a lot longer than that), then maybe the rest of us should have listened.

I'm led to believe ESPN will be an additional £9 per month for those with Sky and £12 for those without. Of course, the hardest hit will be former Setanta only subscribers who want to see the full 60 SPL games, as they will need to begin both subscriptions. That's the trouble with these broadcast rights being sold to different providers due to E.U. competition laws. The public are then asked to fork out for subscriptions to a number of broadcasters and actually end up worse off.

That's the trouble with these broadcast rights being sold to different providers due to E.U. competition laws. The public are then asked to fork out for subscriptions to a number of broadcasters and actually end up worse off.

If they are that bothered about the game they could always do it the old school way - and get a ticket to the game. :P

If they are that bothered about the game they could always do it the old school way - and get a ticket to the game. :P

For their own team, yes, but many of us like to watch other matches too, and it isn't cheap this day and age.

There's also the point concerning the prohibitive for many of going to matches now.

I hate the Scum as much as anyone, but set that aside and read the 2 statements, and tell me how or why you disagree with them.

Also, Celtic and Rangers have had Joint Venture agreements in place with Setanta for years now to produce their own TV channels, so if they raised concerns a year ago about Setanta's financial state (and I know for a fact that it's been a concern to them for a lot longer than that), then maybe the rest of us should have listened.

Which two clubs voted against the innovative concept of SPL TV a few years ago ?

Now it seems, it's ok for them to reinvent it under the mantle of 'Old Firm TV'......

Funnily enough, the Dutch have started their own TV Channel within the last year and it's been a success financially........ Self Preservation Society methinks.............

Do you trust Dr John Reid ?

Bigot, Sex Pest, War Criminal, not to mention an MP who sat back 'amongst others' and watched the total destruction of the Lanarkshire Steel Industry. He's also been part of a 'Government' who've 'only' managed to lose their traditional stronghold in Scotland and who are clinging on by their very fingernails in the UK as a whole. Oh, wait a minute, he's stepping down at the election...........

David Murray ?

A man who has driven his club to the very brink, an egomaniac who's been looking for a way out of the backwaters of Scottish football for over a decade now. Remember the Atlantic league ? Albeit, he had some success initially in domestic competitions. No European trophy though........ Let's just say they are skint now under his guidance............. Mibbies those 'Moonbeams' will appear out of thin air right enough.

Why do you think these guys are the saviours of Scottish football ?

• 2 weeks later...
Just hope that ESPN don't ship over Tommy Smyth (with a 'Y') to do the commentaries.

Herald

Looks like it's going to be Derek Rae - remember him ?? Spoke with an American accent (even though he came from Aberdeen) and worked with BBC Scotland for a while before going to work for ESPN in the US.

Stuart.

BBC Scotland still have the Monday night "highlights" package on terrestrial.

Between them Sky and ESPN will show the same number of matches as Setanta did - 60. Only downside is that you now need two subscriptions to see them all. Upside is if you are already a Sky Sports subscriber - you only need to pay for ESPN, which at £9 is cheaper than Setanta's standalone subscription and from what I have read, the ESPN package is going to be very attractive - they have signed contracts with some of the top European leagues, US Major League Soccer together with the other US sports which ESPN have the rights.

Stuart.

How does that work then? Do you get Sky Sports on the Virgin Media XL package? Why are Sky asking for extra money when Virgin Media can offer it for free?

Is that not just the same set-up as it was with Setanta?

I got Setanta free with the TV XL package. That started up after Sky and Virgin had their disagreement and Sky pulled all there channels off cable.

Sky viewers still had to pay for Setanta at the time as well, is that right?

Is that not just the same set-up as it was with Setanta?

I got Setanta free with the TV XL package. That started up after Sky and Virgin had their disagreement and Sky pulled all there channels off cable.

Sky viewers still had to pay for Setanta at the time as well, is that right?

Yeah, that's right. I'm sure I paid something like a tenner a month for Setanta. So it does work out a bit cheaper but just wondering if you get all the Sky Sports channels with Virgin and they offer ESPN for free, why is the same offer not available to Sky subscribers? Must be a reason for it. How much does the Virgin XL package cost compared with a similar Sky package?

Yeah Rammer, the reason is that SKY want extra cash for it. Virgin will be paying sky for the rights to broadcast it, but are not passing those costs on to their customers. bottom line is that Virgin seem to be offering their customers extra value and SKY are screwing their customers for as much as possible.