Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to see McGhee go. I was a big fan of his but there was some negatives too. Here is a few of the positives and negatives of McGhee's qualities

Positives

1) The first season. At times Motherwell played some of the best football I have seen a Well side play.

2) The impact was obvious immediately. Jim Paterson and Steven McGarry came back from pre-season actually looking like athletes. Does that say more about the shit regime that was in place before?

2) His handling of the Uncle Phil tragedy. Despite everything else, this is something no Well fan should forget.

3) Qualification for Europe.

4) Articulate with the Press.

Negatives

1) Often his words did not transfer to action (Nancy tie, St Mirren cup, St Mirren last game before the split, getting a Central defender, contacts in Europe etc)

2) There was never a sense of stability while he was around

3) He has left us with a thread bare squad. It is very apparent now that he was not building a Well team for the future, it was for the here and now.

4) The constant flirtation with Celtic, Scotland, Hearts and ultimately Aberdeen.

5) A general contempt for the fans that culminated in him disappearing down the tunnel on the last day of the season.

I think McGhee has been fairly confident that he was leaving Motherwell this summer. He probably thought he was getting the Celtic job. The problems we have been having in the transfer market could be because McGhee could not give assurances to potential signings that he would be around.

Nail hit on the head. Superb post.

As I said in another thread I would like to see us pull out all the stops and attract Gary McAllister back to the club where it all started for him. I also feel he would attract players to the club that others might not.

We dont need a Jocky Scott, Jim Duffy etc etc.

Gary misssed penalty thinks he is bigger than Motherwell fc.Not needed.

Is anything confirmed? Did I miss something?

McGhee was in the paper yesterday getting all sentimental about the pull of Aberdeen for him and how talks had went well and it was just a couple of things and compensation to be sorted out. I'd say that's all the confirmation we need. If Boyle wanted to play hardball, he could try and keep him but do we really want a manager here who wants to be somewhere else? I'd say it's safe to assume he's away...

What does please me is i have read 2 different reports saying he is taking Leitch with him cos personally i do not want him anywhere near the managers job after the Malpas debacle just think there are some whose lot in football is to be no2 like Eric Black etc.

If the Rancid is to be believed JB has given permission and compo will be £200K. Then in the same article give themselves a back door out of the story. See below.

Aberdeen legend Mark McGhee set to become Dons new managerJun 8 2009 By Colin Duncan

MARK McGHEE last night admitted he's heading home after agreeing a two-year deal to become Aberdeen's new manager.

Record Sport can reveal the former Pittodrie striker will be unveiled as Jimmy Calderwood's successor within the next 48 hours.

McGhee thrashed out a contract with Dons' director of football Willie Miller at the weekend, moments after he was ruled out of the running to become Celtic boss. The 52-year-old received a call from Dermot Desmond, the Parkhead club's major shareholder, on Saturday to say Celtic had turned their attentions to Tony Mowbray.

It's understood McGhee was furious at Celtic's snub after being led to believe he was first choice to form a management dream team with Henrik Larsson.

However, Aberdeen wasted no time in securing the services of the Motherwell boss who served the club with distinction from 1978 to 1984.

Fir Park chairman John Boyle gave his Dons counterpart Stewart Milne permission to speak with McGhee and a deal was quickly done with Well due to receive £200,000 compensation.

McGhee said: "For me, there is an element of sentimentality attached to the Aberdeen job.

"This is an opportunity to manage a club where I had fantastic success and memories as a player. The same would have applied at Celtic.

"There is an element of going home about the Aberdeen job and I quite like that."

McGhee, who will take assistant Scott Leitch with him and plans to make out-of-contract midfielder Stephen Hughes his first signing, is adamant the switch north has nothing to do with money.

Twelve months ago after leading Motherwell into the UEFA Cup he turned down a bumper deal to take over at Tynecastle.

He said: "If I had left when offered the Hearts job a year ago my contract would have been extraordinarily better than the one I was on at Motherwell.

"That does not apply with the Aberdeen job so it is not about money.

"It's amazing the number of people who say to me the mistake I made was not going to Hearts and if I'd gone there and finished third I would have walked into the Celtic job.

"But last year it would have been wrong to leave Motherwell to go to Hearts.

"Aberdeen represents a different challenge. There is sentimentality involved for me, a bit of romance to that job."

A Pittodrie spokesman said: "We are getting closer to making an appointment but will be making no statement until everything is finalised because nothing can be taken for granted in football."[/quote]

What does please me is i have read 2 different reports saying he is taking Leitch with him cos personally i do not want him anywhere near the managers job after the Malpas debacle just think there are some whose lot in football is to be no2 like Eric Black etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about Leitchy taken on the job yet. Part of me says he could do well. He's had some experience at Ross County including winning the challenge cup. He's had 2 years under Mark McGhee as assistant and I'd imagine he'll have picked up a good bit from that.

Another part says maybe if McGhee had been here another season with Leitchy then I'd be happy to see him step up. There's also the fact that he was one of my favourite players in recent years and worried that if he took the job and we were to have a really bad season the shine could be taken off that. Same as some of the other ex-players have been spoken about.

The thing is I do believe that when Leitchy was brought back and Malpas left, Boyle may have appointed McGhee with the thought of grooming Leitchy to take over.

If it is Leitchy he'll get my full support, I just hope Boyle has the guile to make sure he gets him the best help he can.

Would love to see Derek Adams given the gig, young, enthusiastic and has a good footballing knowledge. He has a good volume of contacts through his old man and this could be used to bring in future stars, who knows maybe his old man would come back to us again?

I would give him the nod with Leitchy as his assistant.

Before you all shout him down about losing his temper and hitting a player, did the great Sir Alex not do something similar with a shoe? Never did him or the player any harm.

I think we should be looking to a manager of the future not an old has been like McAlister.

From Sporting Life....

1035: It's looking highly likely that Aberdeen will appoint Mark McGhee as their new manager after Dons director of football Willie Miller has revealed "encouraging talks" between both parties. He said: "We have made contact with the Fir Park club and were given permission to approach Mark. While subsequent discussions have been extremely encouraging, I've been involved in the game far too long not to realise there are many pitfalls that can affect things at this crucial stage, not least of which is the agreement of compensation between Motherwell and ourselves."

Thanks and good bye Mutley.

I think McGhee is a competent manager and did very well forthe first 3/4 of his first season. Last year he was average at best. However, he has not left any team without some rancour with the fans/owners. He is clearly a mercanary and if I was an Aberdeen fan I would be mightily pis sed off that he only started the sentimentality bit after Celtic told him he was 6th in line. Not a lot of support for him from Dons fans I work with.

I predict a falling out with Milne/Miller within 9 months. Aberdeen are almost £10mm in debt, need a new stadium (getting land and help from the council who are also bust) and they have no cash for players. So unless a miracle happens and Milne gives him some cash he is in the same shit as at the Well.

But onwards and upwards and we will hopefully appoint a quality manger to build on the last couple of seasons efforts.

Sad to see McGhee go. I was a big fan of his but there was some negatives too. Here is a few of the positives and negatives of McGhee's qualities

Positives

1) The first season. At times Motherwell played some of the best football I have seen a Well side play.

2) The impact was obvious immediately. Jim Paterson and Steven McGarry came back from pre-season actually looking like athletes. Does that say more about the shit regime that was in place before?

2) His handling of the Uncle Phil tragedy. Despite everything else, this is something no Well fan should forget.

3) Qualification for Europe.

4) Articulate with the Press.

Negatives

1) Often his words did not transfer to action (Nancy tie, St Mirren cup, St Mirren last game before the split, getting a Central defender, contacts in Europe etc)

2) There was never a sense of stability while he was around

3) He has left us with a thread bare squad. It is very apparent now that he was not building a Well team for the future, it was for the here and now.

4) The constant flirtation with Celtic, Scotland, Hearts and ultimately Aberdeen.

5) A general contempt for the fans that culminated in him disappearing down the tunnel on the last day of the season.

I think McGhee has been fairly confident that he was leaving Motherwell this summer. He probably thought he was getting the Celtic job. The problems we have been having in the transfer market could be because McGhee could not give assurances to potential signings that he would be around.

Thats a pretty accurate assessment..

"I've been involved in the game far too long not to realise there are many pitfalls that can affect things at this crucial stage, not least of which is the agreement of compensation between Motherwell and ourselves"

That wouldn't be Mr Miller trying to blackmail us into reducing our compensation claim, would it? Everyone knows McGhee wants to go there, it's in no one's interests for him to stay here now, so now Oor Wullie can start haggling on compensation...

He can fuck right off if that's what he's up to. Wait and see how he responds in a couple of years when McGhee is publicly going all misty-eyed over a return to Parkhead. Willie Miller is a total prick, and Aberdeen would have more money to spend on compensation if they hadn't invented a job for the old gimp.

That wouldn't be Mr Miller trying to blackmail us into reducing our compensation claim, would it? Everyone knows McGhee wants to go there, it's in no one's interests for him to stay here now, so now Oor Wullie can start haggling on compensation...

In that case, it sounds as though Miller is just doing his job and looking after Aberdeen's interests.

Guest 'Flow

I don't think it is a case of finally admitting mate - we like to try and conduct business like that as professional and quiet as possible but with Aberdeen putting something up on their website then it would be foolish of us not to acknowledge.

Cheers

'Flow

In that case, it sounds as though Miller is just doing his job and looking after Aberdeen's interests.

Aye, and doing it through the media. Although it does strike me as deciding the thing you've picked up in the shop is exactly what you want to buy, you've put it in your bag and then start haggling over the price...