Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Burns at the Daily Express is reporting that McGhee will be unvieled as the new Aberdeen boss today.

I generally find Scott Burns to be fairly accurate with his Motherwell stories - did I read somewhere he is a Well fan.

Agree with the general sentiment on here that this is dragging on far too long and should it all go pear-shaped for McGhee with Celterdeen then he has lost the support of the fans.

Stuart.

Taken from the Beeb gossip...

West Brom are facing a player revolt if boss Tony Mowbray quits the club to take the vacant managerial post at Celtic, with several players ready to consider their future if the 45-year-old departs. (Full story: Daily Mirror)

I know it's the Daily Mail, but it tends to suggest that the Mowbray to Celtic deal is looking less and less likely to happen as the time goes on.

Agree with the general sentiment on here that this is dragging on far too long and should it all go pear-shaped for McGhee with Celterdeen then he has lost the support of the fans.

Yep!

"Talks over compensation have been going on for six days but McGhee will rip up his Fir Park contract if a deal to satisfy all sides fails to be reached"

Aye right! - either Miller or McGhee will need to get the wallet oot - or we'll have a Steve Bruce / Crystal palace situation on our hands.

It's expected he'll move to take Klimpl to the Dons as well.

As Melvin says - Feel free...

C'mon The 'Well

I know this is a very very long shot but should McGhee still be at Fir Park next season, I wouldn't be at a game until he left. I've put up with rubbish managers, rubbish teams and all sorts, but I think it would be impossible to stomach seeing him in the dug out now.

And to dig out an old favourite. Just my opinion, mind...

While I still feel it's better for all concerned if he leaves, if he decides to stay and repeats his first season with us then I'm sure there will be more fans behind him than against him.

Well aware I'd be in the minority. Like I said, I just think I'd personally find it too hard to stomach...

This is just a ridiculous situation.

We are less than a month away from playing a European fixture, we have a threadbare squad in urgent need of reinforcements, players likely to be leaving and a manager who is sitting, biding his time to see if he can land one particular job if someone else doesn't get it, and if not then he's going to another job at another club.

Nearly a whole week has passed by with McGhee being "poised to be named as new Aberdeen manager" while Celtic "battle it out with West Brom over compensation" and we are no further forward than we were last Friday. It's as obvious as the nose on the end of your face that McGhee has no intention of signing for Aberdeen until the Celtic manager's position is filled and he still has a chance, no matter how outside, of landing that job, and that he also has no intentions of staying here if either one of those jobs becomes available to him. Fair fucks to McGhee, he has played Motherwell FC like fucking mugs and done a great job at it, from getting a payrise over his flirtations with the Hearts job last year to leaving us in no man's land this year.

I tell you what, if both of those moves fell through for him, I don't think he'd think twice about 'hanging on' at Fir Park until his next potential move came up for him. The man has absolutely no interest in anyone but himself.

Well aware I'd be in the minority. Like I said, I just think I'd personally find it too hard to stomach...

Fair enough, but personally if the manager - whoever that is - has a team on the park that is winning more games than it loses then I don't care who the manager is.

The man has absolutely no interest in anyone but himself.

I think you could be right, but if that self interest means that he decides success at Motherwell is his best bet of furthering his career then I'm happy to celebrate that success.

Fair enough, but personally if the manager - whoever that is - has a team on the park that is winning more games than it loses then I don't care who the manager is.

I think that prior to this I would have agreed with you. I had no problem returning last year following his dalliance with Hearts. I think the utter disrespect he has shown our club since then just leaves too bitter a taste in my mouth. No mention of Motherwell whatsoever in his Sunday Herald comments, the fact that as this all rages on he has left a threadbare squad leads me to believe he never had any intention of starting next season with Motherwell, it just sickens me a bit too much.

Sorry if that sounds like me being a grumpy old sod. Mibbe cos I am a grumpy old sod... :P

I can't imagine him being here.

It seems to ridiculous a concept for my mind to comprehend at this point. I think I'd be enraged, but eh I could probably be defused albeit grudgingly if we fly up the league and challenge for europe playing some of the excellent first season of McGhee football. I'd probably take a double delight in knowing that this time he'd surely get a job soon and he be off, hopefully leaving the new man, Nijholt or whoever to come in and continue the work and we get a euro adventure with a manager that hopefully won't go bonkers at the big games and who then adds a player or two to areas we been crying out for and and we maybe even win something, or get get to europa league group stage which be almost as good. :P

It's as obvious as the nose on the end of your face that McGhee has no intention of signing for Aberdeen until the Celtic manager's position is filled and he still has a chance, no matter how outside, of landing that job, and that he also has no intentions of staying here if either one of those jobs becomes available to him. Fair fucks to McGhee, he has played Motherwell FC like fucking mugs and done a great job at it, from getting a payrise over his flirtations with the Hearts job last year to leaving us in no man's land this year.

I think the utter disrespect he has shown our club since then just leaves too bitter a taste in my mouth. No mention of Motherwell whatsoever in his Sunday Herald comments, the fact that as this all rages on he has left a threadbare squad leads me to believe he never had any intention of starting next season with Motherwell, it just sickens me a bit too much.

Both these posts are absolutely spot on. Neither McGhee nor Leitch should be made welcome at Fir Park in any capacity ever again. The way they have fucked Motherwell about with neither a here nor there is disgusting.

Both Celtic and Aberdeen deserve an enormous ammount of criticism in all of this and their attempted haggling of compensation. If you want to buy a player/manager from another club who is still under contract, then cough up the going rate, or fuck off!

STV believe the compo has now been agreed and McGhee will be unvieled later today.

STV

McGhee expected to be announced as Aberdeen boss

STV understands the former Dons striker will be named later today after it appeared the club had agreed a compensation package with Motherwell.

11 June 2009 09:46 AM

Mark McGhee is expected to be announced as the new manager of Aberdeen later today after it appeared the club had agreed a compensation package with Motherwell.

STV understands the former Dons striker will replace Jimmy Calderwood who quit after the final SPL match of the season despite securing a European place for the club.

McGhee is one of the hottest properties in Scottish football management and was one of the early favourites for the vacant manager's job at Celtic with Gordon Strachan personally recommending his former teammate to the Parkhead board.

Before moving to the SPL two years ago McGhee has spent his entire managerial career down south with Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall and Brighton with mixed success.

But since moving back to Scotland with the Lanarkshire club in 2007 he has been a revelation . He guided the Well to third place in his first season in charge and although the 2008/09 season was more of a struggle, they still finished in seventh and secured European football through the fair play league.

As a former Aberdeen player, McGhee can expect to be a popular choice amongst fans in the north east after playing 164 games in a six-year period at Pittodrie.

Last updated: 11 June 2009, 09:51

If you want to buy a player/manager from another club who is still under contract, then cough up the going rate, or fuck off!

Amen to that. This has become farcical and the sooner it is sorted the better. The first I knew Hughes was off to hibs was when I read it! That is how it should be.

We are due compensation so Aberdeen should pay up. Best for both parties as he cannot stay on at Motherwell. In many ways it would be amusing if Mowbray does not go to Celtic and McGhee has accepted the Aberdeen job. What might have been - eh Mark.

I thank him for his efforts over the past two years. Nothing can take away the fact that he has done a very good job for Motherwell. But this faffing about has soured my views somewhat.

Sick fed up of this whole carry on;while A'deen&Celtic look for a new manager M'well suffer big time due to Muttley being in frame for both jobs

We now have 3 weeks 'til new season,we have players out of contract,we desperately need new players to cope with extra games next season

The quicker Muttley gets sorted one way or another the better but this whole merry go round has been very detrimental to us,to put it mildly

Looks like the momentum's heading towards an unveiling in sheepville later today.

While reminding myself that he's provided some great football and professionalism and dignity through difficult times. My thoughts right now are "Cheerio to Fuck the pair of ya"

Aberdeen evening express:-

McGhee ready to check-in at Aberdeen FC

New boss finally set to be unveiled

By Charlie Allan

Published: 11/06/2009

ON THEIR WAY: Scott Leitch, left, and Mark McGhee are set to be unveiled as Aberdeen FC's new management team.

More Pictures

MARK McGhee finally arrived in Aberdeen today to complete his return to Aberdeen FC.

McGhee came north while Aberdeen FC and Motherwell concluded talks over a £200,000 compensation package for the 52-year-old.

He and Willie Miller met at the Ardoe House Hotel and McGhee was expected to be paraded at a Pittodrie press conference later today.

Scott Leitch, McGhee’s assistant at Motherwell, is also joining Aberdeen FC after rejecting the offer to step-up into the manager’s chair at Fir Park.

It will end the Red Army’s 18-day wait to find out who succeeds Jimmy Calderwood, who left Aberdeen FC after their 2-1 win over Hibs on May 24.

Aberdeen FC football director Willie Miller confirmed they had “dozens” of applications for the post.

Ossie Ardiles, Noel Whelan, Lee Richardson, Peter Nicholas and Dean Windass were among those who confirmed they had expressed an interest.

But Gothenburg Great McGhee was always the No.1 target for Aberdeen FC.

Aberdeen FC’s hopes of getting their man were hindered by the fact Celtic, who McGhee also played for, were understood to be keen to take him to Parkhead as Gordon Strachan’s successor.

But Aberdeen FC finally received the all-clear to make an official approach for McGhee last Saturday.

Motherwell chairman John Boyle confirmed then that he had “reluctantly agreed” to allow McGhee to speak to Aberdeen FC, who he scored 101 goals for between 1978-84.

Boyle added that they hoped to persuade McGhee, who turned down the chance to join Hearts a year ago, to remain with them.

It’s understood Boyle also offered the manager’s job to Leitch in an effort to persuade him to reject Aberdeen FC’s offer.

Boyle brought former Motherwell skipper Leitch back to Fir Park in 2007 from Ross County.

Miller urged Aberdeen FC fans to “remain patient” while he and chairman Stewart Milne conducted negotiations over the last six days and were set to finally get their reward today.

For more reaction and analysis to Mark McGhee’s appointment at Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express

Amen to that. This has become farcical and the sooner it is sorted the better. The first I knew Hughes was off to hibs was when I read it! That is how it should be.

We are due compensation so Aberdeen should pay up. Best for both parties as he cannot stay on at Motherwell. In many ways it would be amusing if Mowbray does not go to Celtic and McGhee has accepted the Aberdeen job. What might have been - eh Mark.

I thank him for his efforts over the past two years. Nothing can take away the fact that he has done a very good job for Motherwell. But this faffing about has soured my views somewhat.

Great point , but I wouldn't put it past him havin a clause in his Aberdeen contract if Celtic come in for him in the next week he can leave. Mark Mcghee has went from a favourite of mine to me being absolutely disgusted in his whoring every job under the sun. Good luck Mark and i hope your sacked within 6 months. Aberdeen fans beware!!!!!!

I wonder just how true that quote is about Motherwell offering the Managers job to Scott Leitch and him turning it down??

I am not too sure that would have been a good move. Maybe we need a clean break altogether. Although it would have meant that we could have banked a couple of hundred grand in compensation.

I suspect whoever we go after will be out of work. That £200k will almost pay for the pitch repairs - so thanks Muttley.

At least we can start the search for a new Manager.

The Scott Leitch story is in the Sun today too.

McGhee has done well for us and I'm thankful for that but this whole saga is drawing on way too long. In a normal close season I wouldn't be particularly worried but with the Europa Cup draw in a couple of weeks and players being out of contract we really need someone in about two weeks ago!

If you were out with your other half one night, and she said to you...

"Can you wait here, im goin over to see if I can get a ride off that guy over there, cos he's really hot and much more the kinda guy I wanna be with."

Then came back over and said...

"Nah he doesn't want me, i'll just stay with you instead"

She'd get told to fuck right off. Thats no different to whats happening here so one way or another, cheerio Mark.

If you were out with your other half one night, and she said to you...

"Can you wait here, im goin over to see if I can get a ride off that guy over there, cos he's really hot and much more the kinda guy I wanna be with."

Then came back over and said...

"Nah he doesn't want me, i'll just stay with you instead"

Would it be wrong to ask for a threesome? :)