Mcghee Era

steelboy

no Idea with Forbes, sure it was only a 1 year contract he signed last summer, he was a guy who always seemed to be a standout in our reserve games last season and the u-19s the year before, and by all accounts he was superb for Dumbarton the 3 months he was there so prety promising, but no idea if he is still here

I think McGhee leaving is a shot in the arm to our bank balance.

I think Aberdeen shit themselves when they seen his wages and it speaks volumes that he's accepted (as reported) a reduced salary to allow himself to get the job up there. They're paying him and SL's wage plus compen to us and Caldo.

His leaving has at least turned the pich expendeture into a break even.

he's left very little (I didnt sy none) dead wood and a prudent new guy can build a squad round what we have.

It's all good :lol:

In my view they should be back tomorrow - more than three weeks which is more than they'd get if they were at the business end of a WOrld Cup (even U18s like Reynolds was a couple of years back) and they wouldn't be moaning then.

When are we back in pre season?

We should be back by about thursday at the latest, think that is a fortnight before first euro tie.

Sure players been warned to come back in good condition, rested, relaxed but not 3 weeks on the lash and a good weeks fitness work have them nearly back up to full condition with the second week getting in plenty of ball work and trying to get them sharp as possible without having them to fucked slogging guts out.

10 days build up and fingers crossed we get some fareo island haddies.

I know that there will be those who groan when they see my name on this thread. But now McGhee's away, I can look a bit more dispassionately at his time with us.

It really was an era of two halves (Archie). In his first season, I was really impressed. The attacking football on display at times was fantastic to watch at times (the Hibs league cup game will live with me for a long time). His handling of the media was good both after defeats and when we were winning. No more needs to be said about his handling of the aftermath of the Phil O'Donnell tragedy. He deserves our thanks there. On the pitch, he got the best out of guys like Clarkson and Quinn (this season Fitzpatrick) and made McGarry look like a footballer for four months. Even last season though, some of his decisions were baffling. The dropping of Porter for our league cup game against Rangers springs to mind. Paul Quinn at right midfield against Celtic.

Last summer was where I started to lose faith. The Hearts carry on was sorted out quickly (though it clearly looked like he was telling porkies when he claimed there had been no contact from Hearts as late as five days before the end of the season). His signing targets, though ambition should always be applauded, were too rich for our blood and the taking of Kennedy on tour only to see him sign for another club struck me as bizarre (that seat on the plane could have been taken by someone else). His dallying in the transfer market while looking for those "better than what we have" was the main reason our squad was so thin in November and December, his favourite excuse for last season. The bizarre team selections this season (Nancy, St Mirren x2 and others) have ben mentioned by others.

He leaves pretty much the same first team as when he arrived. Fringe players like Kinniburgh, Corrigan and Connolly have moved on and haven't really been replaced. When he arrived we had Clarkson and McCormack, now we have Clarkson and Sutton. Players of McCormack's type are rare so I'd say he's left us as well off as could be expected up front. The midfield (with the exception of Jim O'Brien) is where it was when he came in except Fitzpatrick is a vastly improved player. The defence is pretty much as it was, Hammell in-Paterson out) being the only change. My only concern would be, should McLean leave, he has left us with only four recognised first team defenders. And the question will hang over our goalkeeping situation now. Will Fraser come? Will he have the option not to? And will he be the new Simon Mensing?

He's left the new guy (whoever he may be) a confident if very thin squad. If we can keep a hold of Quinn, Clarkson, O'Brien and Hammell, there is a decent frame to build a team into. Midfield is light and that's where the new guy will have to direct his attention first.

McGhee gave us two years, one fantastic, one decent, and has left us pretty much where we were when he came in (some improvements - confidence of some players, fitness; some areas worse off - lack of reliable back up players). When you look at it like that, he's done all that was asked of him. Just wish he'd been a bit more subtle about his desire to leave while he was here... :lol:

I was always fairly positive on McGhee - however the way he has handled himself over the past couple of weeks has fair cheesed me off. If I see another picture of his shammy gabbit mush anywhere else over the next month. . . . . .

Anyway it's good to see that he's learning new skills - that he didnt have at Fir Park- in his new job already. namely:-

Signing up the clubs top players on long term deals. . . .

McGhee wants to sign up Aberdeen FC stars

New Aberdeen FC manager ready for action

By Sean Wallace

Published: 15/06/2009

VISION OF THE FUTURE: Aberdeen FC manager Mark McGhee.

More Pictures

MARK McGhee today confirmed he will move to get five Aberdeen FC stars signed up on long-term deals.

The new Aberdeen FC boss will challenge players with just a year left on their contracts to show their commitment to him by signing extended deals.

Those players are Jamie Langfield, Mark Kerr, Gary McDonald, Richard Foster and Charlie Mulgrew.

McGhee wants them to sign on and back his long-term vision for the club.

McGhee said: “I will talk to those who only have a year left on their contracts, and ask them to extend those deals.”

For more on this story, and an exclusive interview with McGhee’s assistant Scott Leitch, pick up today’s Evening Express

Signing players . . . . . .

Aberdeen FC chief chasing Motherwell pair

Hughes and Klimpl targeted for Aberdeen FC move

Published: 15/06/2009

TOP TARGETS: Motherwell pair Stephen Hughes, left, and Maros Klimpl, centre, could move to Aberdeen FC.

More Pictures

MARK McGhee wants to make Motherwell duo Stephen Hughes and Maros Klimpl his first signings for Aberdeen FC.

The new Aberdeen FC boss admits he faces competition from Hearts for Hughes, who met with Aberdeen FC assistant boss Scott Leitch on Friday to discuss the possibility of a move to Pittodrie.

Talks are also planned with Klimpl, who was on loan at Motherwell last season but is now a free agent.

If this comes off, the signing of these players will be seen by many as really underhand.

no Idea with Forbes, sure it was only a 1 year contract he signed last summer, he was a guy who always seemed to be a standout in our reserve games last season and the u-19s the year before, and by all accounts he was superb for Dumbarton the 3 months he was there so prety promising, but no idea if he is still here

I can confim that it was a 2 year deal and Ross is still here (my future mrs works next to his mum, so as good a source as any)

Fingers crossed his expirence with Dumbarton will help him into our first team. he has done really well since coming back from a broken leg.

Lee

If this comes off, the signing of these players will be seen by many as really underhand.

the two of them are free agents so they can basically do what they want regardless of mcghee. i can't see hughes ending up in aberdeen and maros could end up anywhere. he's already said he couldn't afford the pick of our under contract players so we don't have that much to worry about there.

I was always fairly positive on McGhee - however the way he has handled himself over the past couple of weeks has fair cheesed me off. If I see another picture of his shammy gabbit mush anywhere else over the next month. . . . . .

Anyway it's good to see that he's learning new skills - that he didnt have at Fir Park- in his new job already. namely:-

Signing up the clubs top players on long term deals. . . .

I think it would only be underhand if McGhee had been planting the seeds for these moves back at Easter time. Given that there would have been a lot of if's buts and maybe's back then I am prepared to give him the benifit of the doubt.

We also have to be careful about double standards. I have read a few times over the last few days on here 'If we got Jeffries he would bring Kyle' etc .

Having said that, if Hughes and Klimpl are playing in red at FP next season I may not be as diplomatic.

McGhee signing players from us is not really an issue if they are out of contract. Klimpl is not even a Motherwell player and Hughes doesn't want to stay. If they choose The Dons then fair enough in my book.

McGhee overall did a decent job with the players he had and we can have no real gripes about the overall football thats was played.

We never, ever recovered from the loss of Uncle Phil and I still believe that had a huge effect on our style of play and confidence.

Last season we had a poor start, but in the second half of the league we we very consistent.

But McGhee will always be remembered as the manager that touted himself across Scotland and never really had his heart in the club. Time was up and he left.

Gary McCallister or Luc Nijholt IN....

Undoubtedly be seen as quite sneaky, but to tell you the truth, he's welcome to Klimpl and Hughes. As light as we are in midfield, we need someone with more workrate than Hughes. And Aberdeen won't win the fair play league next year if they have a whole season of Klimpl...

I'm fully aware that they're free agents and know exactly what that entails for the players.

However Klimpl's gone from publicly saying he wanted to stay. To basically. . . .well basically nothing.

I'm only saying that if they end up there the accusations will follow that theres been a cosy wee arrangement sorted out.

Not by me though - I'd never dream of that.

Just back my hols but I'll make two points.

First, the era of long term planning at managerial level, and indeed first team level, are gone. Clubs should and do operate season-by-season. You can hardly lay much blame then on McGhee for leaving us at a stage of transition. I'm sure any new manager coming in anyway will be pleased if he has more or less a blank canvas to work with and isn't tied down to the previous managers plans.

Secondly, it's McGhee's fault that no youngsters have come through from a certain age bracket? I'd content that point in the first place (surely that is down to the people in charge of the youth set up) but youngsters usually come through at time of crisis (rebuilding after relegation, administration, poor performances from 'established' players) so young players have had few opportunities to come through under McGhee, not because McGhee was a bad manager, but because he was a good manager who managed to get good performances and consistent team line ups from a relatively small squad.

Secondly, it's McGhee's fault that no youngsters have come through from a certain age bracket? I'd content that point in the first place (surely that is down to the people in charge of the youth set up) but youngsters usually come through at time of crisis (rebuilding after relegation, administration, poor performances from 'established' players) so young players have had few opportunities to come through under McGhee, not because McGhee was a bad manager, but because he was a good manager who managed to get good performances and consistent team line ups from a relatively small squad.

would we not have been better playing saunders or murray in the games lasley played at right back?

or giving a young guy a chance rather than playing mcgarry in centre mid at rugby park?

or trying out a youngster rather than sticking paul quinn in any posistion we were short in?

bringing through young players is a neccesity for a club like ours. it's the cheapest way to keep a decent sized squad and your best bet at getting some transfer money in.

I'm fully aware that they're free agents and know exactly what that entails for the players.

However Klimpl's gone from publicly saying he wanted to stay. To basically. . . .well basically nothing.

I'm only saying that if they end up there the accusations will follow that theres been a cosy wee arrangement sorted out.

Not by me though - I'd never dream of that.

Well by me then. You are right, Klimpl CLEARLY wanted to stay at Motherwell. He was free. A fans favourite. The ONLY thing standing in his way was McGhee, telling him to sit tight.

Klimpl could have been signed by Motherwell on a pre-contract months ago.

McGhee is a sneaky shovel-jawed whore.

• Like 1

Well by me then. You are right, Klimpl CLEARLY wanted to stay at Motherwell. He was free. A fans favourite. The ONLY thing standing in his way was McGhee, telling him to sit tight.
This is what his agent said 2 months ago.

""Maros is keeping his options open for next season and that could also include staying at Motherwell."

Hardly a commitment.

McGhee and Leitch were a brilliant partnership. McGhee had good links with other teams (but to be frankly honest he did not use them to their full advantage) and Leitchy knew half the Motherwell boys through playing with them.

I agree that McGhee should have let the youngsters get more of a game such as Murphy and the likes of Saunders, Hutchinson and McHugh. Also he should have made brought some subs on in certain games at a more appropriate time.

Other than that he brought us 2 years of exciting football, a team on the brink of relegation up into third place and 2 years of European football. Who was the last manager who done that?

McGhee and Leitch were a brilliant partnership. McGhee had good links with other teams (but to be frankly honest he did not use them to their full advantage) and Leitchy knew half the Motherwell boys through playing with them.

I agree that McGhee should have let the youngsters get more of a game such as Murphy and the likes of Saunders, Hutchinson and McHugh. Also he should have made brought some subs on in certain games at a more appropriate time.

Other than that he brought us 2 years of exciting football, a team on the brink of relegation up into third place and 2 years of European football. Who was the last manager who done that?

Tommy McLean but then he brought youngsters through and made an impact with his subs so does that mean TomTom is better than Noah?

(I know the aswer to that but about a year ago some were suggesting McGhee ranked higher than McLean)

What he did ? i`ve probably watched the best football since 1990/91 .Esp 2007/08 .The best game ? for sure the well v utd 5-3 game ,cant remember watching such a great game of football until the moment on the park. Where`s he left us ? wouldn`t say we were any worse of then when he came.

What he did ? i`ve probably watched the best football since 1990/91 .Esp 2007/08 .The best game ? for sure the well v utd 5-3 game ,cant remember watching such a great game of football until the moment on the park. Where`s he left us ? wouldn`t say we were any worse of then when he came.

Without wishing to commit blasphemy, the 91 team weren't that great. Well, they weren't as good as the 93/94 team in my opinion. They would probably have taken McGhee's team. And McGhee's team was, as you say, particularly in his first year a good team. I remember discussing this with some people last year and the only position where there was doubt that the 93/94 team was better was right back.

You say we're no worse off. Which I've agreed with earlier in the thread. Are we better off noticeably...?

Right now, I think it's debatable to say whether we are noticeably better off or not. When McGhee came in he initially did a great job, getting rid of the dead wood, particularly the three irish wonder-signings, got us playing fantastic football, the best I've seen in my time at Fir Park (bear in mind I'm only 19). He seemed to get the best out of guys like McGarry, Clarkson and Paterson where others couldn't before. He had us playing an attacking formation with the front six barely having a defensive bone among them and getting results at the same time.

It was very admirable the way he dealt with the Phil O'Donnell tragedy, and as of now it's the only aspect of him time at Motherwell I hold in very high regard. After that things began to take a lapse a bit, and although we finished 3rd, everything about the second half of the season was slightly lesser than the first. Getting us into Europe was a great achievement for everyone at the club, there's no denying that, but you have to ask yourself would we have got there was it not for Hughes dominating our midfield and Porter's 18 goals? I think not. Those two's Motherwell careers were funded by the personal pocket of Mr. Boyle, and although I am in no shape or form suggesting Maurice Malpas would have even nearly matched McGhee, it was a luxury he didn't have. The furthest John Boyle went for him was to sign that dud Elliot on loan. I think it's facts like that that show McGhee was a good manager for Motherwell, but definitely not a great manager.

As for his second season, you could almost sense it was downhill from the start. He seemed even more active to get out of the place, and you almost felt like he wanted us to be guilty that he never took the Hearts job. And the fact that by day one, he had only signed Bob Malcolm on another deal, didn't fill us with joy. The signing of Malcolm both times was a farse if you ask me. All he did in his first season was get sent off against Celtic, bizzarely gaining him hero status among some of our fans and in his second he did score a couple of important goals, granted, but decided that was his work done in November. A player signed on high wages when you could pick out three or four existing players who could do the same, if not a better, job.

Furthermore, the signing of Klimpl at the time seemed injustifiable and although Klimpl finally came really good for us, part of me still thinks it was a puzzler. Especially when in November we were losing games, leaking goals and playing two midfielders in our back four, who at times looked far from comfortable, while our player signed for defensive cover spent the first four months of his Fir Park career on a treatment table. I think Sutton was signed with a view that we'd lose Porter, and although he scored 12 goals, I can't remember one piece of work he did outside the 18 yard box, and McGhee trying to play him and Porter together when Clarkson was out was painful to watch. He also lost McCormack and never replaced him.

I also find it hard to say he was a great manager, when during the bad spell in November/December, he found his team missing Craigan and for the most part Clarkson, in the absence of these two, he fielded a team week after week which just seemed totally devoid of character, heart, desire and fight. No one is saying they expected him to win every game, but a team showing desire is the least you can expect.

Another big cock up for me was the St. Mirren game. We were chasing top six, needed a victory, yet he decided to fill our team with defenders, with two of his midfield four even having been signed as defenders. He hasn't terribly successfully brought through a single youngster in his tenure. Has burnt Jamie Murphy out at times, then under used him at others, has been unable to find a balance. I'd say Darren Smith is more or less the exact same player he was when McGhee took over. And as for others such as Saunders and Hutchinson, he has only given them a game here and there and made them disappear afterwards.

So, all in all, I would say he has left us in a slightly better position, but nothing significant. He has left us with a threadbare squad, albeit some of them in much better nick than previously (i.e Clarkson and Quinn), but he has left us with a squad that will need to do a lot of growing up to compete next year.

I like McGhee and I think one day he will be a good manager.

He has one major flaw though, he believes he's better than he is. Mark McGhee believes he should be managing one of the big four in England or one of the Old Firm. That's where he thinks he belongs and each job is another step nearer that goal.

He believes the grass is always greener somewhere else, which in Fir Park's case is probably true, so tends to jump ship with the job half done. I had hoped after the Hearts saga last season that he would see the job through at Motherwell but I'm beginning to doubt he ever will see a job through anywhere. Is Pittodrie just another stop on his way to where he thinks he belongs, possibly. If he really sees himself as a top boss then he has to prove himself he has to start winning trophies, not hearts and minds. Maybe he should hang around a bid at Aberdeen, and maybe that's what he should have done at a few other places.

I dont think it's fair to say he doesn't do a good job at a club, when he left Reading Steve Coppell took over and Reading took off, similarly at Leicester, he was no sooner out the door than Martin O'Neill was in and Leicester never looked back. Within 6 months of leaving Millwall they were in an FA Cup Final and the UEFA Cup. So maybe next season doesn't look all black for Motherwell.

I admire what he done at Motherwell. I dont believe I ever saw a Motherwell squad that looked fitter, and I dont believe I ever saw a Motherwell squad that played better. I hope the new manager has a similar philosophy to McGhee.