I Come In Peace !

FKASB

According to the Scum today, we (Cardiff City) are looking to buy David Clarkson if we sell Ross (McCormack that is - you may remember him....)

What's Clarkson like? Similar player to Ross?? Or more of a target man?? Would you be really hacked off to see him go - and how much do you reckon he's worth?? (We don't pay much -after all we have Mr Risdale's fish tanks to pay for...)

Best of luck with your manager hunt - some of our "fans" would probably offer you Dave Jones...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a big Cardiff fan, almost as much as I am Motherwell and when McCormack left I knew it was the right move for him but didn't think he would do as well as he has done. Clarkson neds another year at Motherwell and a few more International games.. but clubs like Cardiff don't come knocking every year becase you never know they could be a top flight outfit next year!

He's an international, has a year left on his contract and was the top scorer outside Rangers/Celtic last year. Based on other transfer fees this close season (like Johnson to Liverpool for 18.5 million) he is easily worth 1 million.

As a player, he is nothing like Rosco. He is a forward who will run himself into the ground for 90 minutes and always plays for the team. Just keep setting him up and you'll likely get a decent goal return.

He also has strong emotional ties to the club, being the late great Phil O'Donnell's nephew, and having been playing alongside him the day he died. Clarky really doesn't seem the type to be motivated by money, but if anyone seriously wanted to tempt him away, that alone might require offering him the sort of personal terms that it would just be impossible for any sane person to turn down...

I think Clarkson is brilliant for us. But even after all the improvement he made in recent seasons he does look quite raw at times. McCormack looks far more comfortable on the ball but Clarky does share some attiributes in that there is more to him than goals, he has played a vital part in our good football, created a few goals as well as scored some.

I think a Cardiff fan expecting a McCormack mark II would be a bit disappointed but he is a good player and does work his socks off top of it.

Much like the significance held by the Rooks that live in The Tower Of London, should David Clarkson wear the colours of another club side, plague shall beset the country, and fire shall rain forth from the heavens.

True story by the way.

David Clarkson is a fantastic player and is still only 23 (24 in September) so there is still more improvement in him. A couple of years ago the fans seemed to h8 him amd wanted rid of him (exc. myself :thumbup: ) but when McGhee came his game transformed. I still remember his debut for Scotland - what a GOAL!!!

On the negative side he can be very frustrating at times especially with his first touch and he goes down far too easily ( my pet hate only time I boo my own players).

I think someome mentioned another 3 years and he will have his testimonial for motherwell, that says it all he may even be the youngest player ever to achieve such a feat if he does stay.

My heart wants him to stay, however, if we receive a bid for 1 million quid and the money can go straight to strengthening the squad (being hypothetical here ) then we would be daft to turn it down.

Club size shouldn't dictate the value of a player though. Clarky for a wee club like us is a bigger loss than Ronaldo is to Man U so I say we hold out for more than 80 mill. :thumbup:

It does though. With Ronaldo going to Madrid is that a step up? In footballing terms, and imo, no. He is leaving the EPL Champions and CL finalists. As an alledged Madrid fan perhaps the heart strings (and obscene amounts of cash) and ambition to do with Madrid what he did with Utd is the reason he is going.

With Well-Clarkson-Cardiff this is totally different. Clarky has no ties to City....other than his good mate plays with them. Is Cardiff a step up? Without question. This sadly for us allows the bigger team to dangle the carrot in front of the player, get him unsettled, and get him for as cheap as possible. I know I'm in a minority here but I'd let Clarky go for £800,000. If that money went straight into the team what a difference that could make to next year.

EDIT: My point weeyin is that under contract or not.........they would be mad not to take £1m for him.