New Manager

MelvinBragg

Budget or squad...?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. If you're the new man in charge, which would you rather find on your arrival...?

• Slightly bigger budget and smaller squad
    • Slightly smaller budget and larger squad

I touched upon this in the Reynolds thread. General consensus seems to be that JB is trying to generate a budget for the new guy to work with. But surely a bigger budget is one thing but the sales (alleged and proposed) of Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds, leave him with three more shirts to fill eating into said budget.

So do we think the new manager (whoever he may be) has specified he wants a blank canvas to work with or would he rather have more of a team to work with. If it were you, what would your thoughs be...?

Just cos we've not had a poll in a while... :whistling:

Voted for 'Slightly bigger budget and smaller squad'. Would rather have quality over quantity and take my chances with injuries and suspensions.

Then you misunderstand my question. If you were sitting waiting on hearing about the job at the minute, would you be like "That's good, Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds are being sold. More cash to spend..." or would you be thinking "Aye, all well and good giving me money, JB, but I need to replace these three as well now..."

See what I'm saying...?

Then you misunderstand my question. If you were sitting waiting on hearing about the job at the minute, would you be like "That's good, Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds are being sold. More cash to spend..." or would you be thinking "Aye, all well and good giving me money, JB, but I need to replace these three as well now..."

See what I'm saying...?

Ahhhh gotcha. I'd be thinking "I'm getting in the players I want and a chance to build MY team" so in answer to your question...........I'd say "That's good, Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds are being sold. More cash to spend..."

Did I get it right this time? :whistling:

I would certainly with Clarkson be saying the latter. I don't think we're going to find an international squad striker willing to come to Motherwell and also have the money available to re-build a whole squad. It's all good the club making a profit but there are now League 2 players, in fact there are now Division 1 players in Scotland going for six figure sums it is going to take a lot of money to re-build the squad.

Saying that we've lost players before and come through it and we will do so again.

I would certainly with Clarkson be saying the latter. I don't think we're going to find an international squad striker willing to come to Motherwell and also have the money available to re-build a whole squad. It's all good the club making a profit but there are now League 2 players, in fact there are now Division 1 players in Scotland going for six figure sums it is going to take a lot of money to re-build the squad.

Saying that we've lost players before and come through it and we will do so again.

Have to say I haven't actually voted in my own poll. I'm caught on the horns. I know the new guy will want to fashion his own team, and as far as Quinn and particularly Reynolds are concerned, I can see them getting relatively simply replaced. My concern is Clarkson, or rather how we are going to find someone who can be our link man and score as many goals as he did the last two years...

Over the last few transfer windows it seems to have been difficult to bring in any players.

We already have a small squad and are losing the spine of the team. if the rumours on these boards are right. We will lose smith, hughes, clarkson, mclean, reynolds. the spine is where you need to be solid. We also need to have cover. I think it is a bigger gamble to get rifd of all these players then try and bring other players in. Yes we have to appreciate that we are a club who needs to sell. But surely we have to have one in one out. The other threads stated that we needed 5 or so players to bring the squad up to a decent size let alone replace our decent players. that could mean that we have to bring in 10/11 players. This surely is to many. I seem to remember 6 players being paraded one season and it took them ages to gel together.

Hence am more for smaller budget keep the team.