The "number 10" Shirt.

Iain7_mfc

For me, it's time to move on and give it to whoever. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Was Phil O'Donnell a better player or servant to the club than any of the other Motherwell greats whose numbers we haven't retired, just because he was unfortunate enough to collapse on the pitch?

Now that Clarkson's pretty much offski, does anyone else think it would be a good idea to retire the shirt? Would be a great honour to Phil that no-one else wears it because tbh, no one else would really deserve it.

I would retire the Number 10 shirt and give it back to Clarkson if he ever comes back, just wouldn't seem right seeing someone else wearing the 10 shirt.

No point in retiring the shirt someone else played in afterwards.

Did West Ham not do this for Bobby Moore?

No one is able to wear No.6, as Upson I am sure had to vacate it, thus allowing it to be retired..?

For me, it's time to move on and give it to whoever. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Was Phil O'Donnell a better player or servant to the club than any of the other Motherwell greats whose numbers we haven't retired, just because he was unfortunate enough to collapse on the pitch?

I agree, renaming the stand is enough of a memorial for him, so no do not retire the shirt

I'm not entirely decided on this either, but I suppose if I was pushed I would say it should be retired. Yes, it's true we don't want to set a precedent of this, but given that he died wearing the shirt, I think 'Well fans will always think of Phil O'Donnell when they think of the number ten shirt. I don't think there's another person so synominous with a particular jersey in the whole history of our club, though there have been a number of players as gifted/loyal as Phil.

I also think that had it been any other player who died that day, we wouldn't be having this conversation, as two seperate generations of 'Well fans saw Uncle Phil make that jersey his own. With Clarkson now gone, retiring the jersey would be a fitting legacy in my opinion.

I don't think there's another person so synominous with a particular jersey in the whole history of our club, though there have been a number of players as gifted/loyal as Phil.
And that's where we disagree. I can think of plenty in my lifetime with Joe Wark (Number 3) probably heading the list. And with all due respect to Uncle Phil, Joe was a lifer at Fir Park.

We have the PO Stand that is a fitting memorial. Leave the strip alone, need to give this a break guys and move on a bit. No disrespect to anyone especially the family but we need to move forward. I think we have pretty much covered most of the Uncle Phil tributes pretty well. Especially liked the commemorative tops worn by the players and the big fans flag.

I think we should keep the number 10 but who wears it has to earn it

This. Club captain or whatever. Wouldn't really bother me if it was a new signing or whoever took it though, giving it to Clarkson was a nice touch, treat it as normal from now on.