Jim Gannon

decorator

I do think some people are getting a bit carried away.

The last time we had a team of youngster (arguably a better crop than now) we played some great football, were exciting to watch....and finished bottom and stayed up on a technicality.

At the end of the day, you don't get points for losing and we've lost four out of six. If we win one third of our games next season we'll probably stay up but it won't have been a season to cherish forever.

Overall, despite some set backs, I've been encouraged with what Gannon has got out of what looked like a limited squad but I still think some of the support need to scale back their aspirations for the coming season.

It's going to be a difficult one, especially if we don't get points on the board early.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe many Well fans are getting carried away with Gannon and what he will achieve. But like most, I do think we've appointed a good manager that will make positive changes and develop a side that brings on young talent and plays attractive football.

In bringing about change, many people are going to be challenged and displaced. That's simply reality. So please, let's not harp on about a need to protect the feelings of established squad members.

Reynolds and Craigan are both good, solid M'well players. But the reality is our defence shows frailty with high balls. Therefore the pairing will have to be broken at some point.

Over the past 2-3 seasons, the midfield has often failed to maintain possession and create scoring opportunities. That doesn't mean Lasley and Fitzpatrick have failed - but the side needs freshening up.

It's very early days, but so far, JG has let fresh talent like Slane, Forbes and Hutchison in the side - and make a positive contribution. Ruddy quite simply looks the business between the sticks. Against Steaua, I thought Coke looked a class act in midfield.

Now to add to all that, JG has even made a public display of his passion for the club and got sent into the stand.

IMHO we are going into the 09-10 season with a new, young side and an intelligent manager. I don't think this will necessarily lead to initial rewards, but I do feel confident we are going to see progress.

Thanks for your contribution so far Jim. :D

I don't think anyone is getting carried away or has unrealistic expectations for the coming season. We all remember Butcher's first season and how young players' form can go up and down. Hopefully we have a wee bit more experience about the place now than we did then.

But I think it's refreshing that there's a degree of optimism about Fir Park at the moment. Given where we were 7 days before the Llanelli game in terms of personnel and preparation, I think we've made some big strides. Bear in mind the squad that most of listed at that time had 13 players with first team experience, we sent out an 18 man squad last night minus at least 3 of those players (Lasley, Fitzpatrick and Smith) and gave a decent team a real fright.

We've had six games to see what Gannon is all about, and I don't think it's getting carried away to say that most of us like the way he goes about his business. He seems driven, he seems to know what he wants, he has us playing the ball on the deck, he has really given some players a new lease of life (Forbes was being released apparently and Sutton looks like a new man), these are all positives. We know it'll be an up and down season (it is Motherwell) but at least we're looking forward to it now...

I honestly think, given a bit of luck and a few more signings, that we have a great shout of finishing third as the rest of the league is much of a muchness

Now the European stuff is over, I've been looking at the rest of the SPL. Obviously there are a few weeks til the transfer window shuts but it's only a week til the real business starts. Aberdeen will be slightly weaker without Severin but you have to figure they should still have enough for top six. Dundee United will be probably on a par with what they were last season. Hearts, I can't imagine being as lucky to finish third again without a proper centre forward. Aguilar, Karapidis and the two Lithuanian wingers (diving cheats as they are) will be missed. Hibs will miss Fletcher and Jones big time. St Johnstone, time will tell, promoted teams always seem to carry a wee bit of momentum (Gretna being the obvious exception). Falkirk, I reckon, will find it tough. If their loan signings don't turn out to be any good, they could be in real bother. Accies will struggle to replace the three (I'm assuming McArthur) guys they're losing and they'll be poor. Kilmarnock, for all the talk of their financial woes, haven't really lost any of their best players. St Mirren could be stronger, Higdon is better than Jim Hamilton, and Paul Gallagher is a good keeper. And us, well, who knows. We need a right back and a striker (even if only to give Sutton a wee bit of competition). For what it's worth, I reckon we'll finish anywhere between 5th and 8th...

Hibs will miss Fletcher and Jones big time.

And they'll probably lose Riordan as well as he is not happy with the current manager, while the current manager isn't happy with him. With Hughes coming out and saying don't come to training if you can;t be bothered, it seems Riordan took him up on that option, but unlike with Lovell at Falkirk Hughes doesn't want to accept that - or so the rumours go. If Riordan leaves Hibs add them to the relegation battle, as Hughes' signings have been anything but great.

At the end of the day, you don't get points for losing and we've lost four out of six.

We have indeed, but perhaps a more important question is, do we look like a better team after the sixth game than we did after the first one? Don't think there's much doubt that we do, so provided we can keep moving in that general direction, I'm sure we'll do alright.

Loved Gannon's passion last night - guess we now have the sort of manager that many have craved for over the years!

I also like the comment from the Official Site -

My team, when it's well established, won't concede some of the goals that we are conceding in Europe.

Yes we have lost 4 out of 6 - but I can see progress being made in every game. I believe that the bottom 4 or 5 clubs will also have to improve over the season to match our improvement over the season, and can't find many reasons why we should be glass half empty going into the new season.

It will be an up and down season because of the age, and relative inexperience of the team - but then we always seem to have up and down seasons!

Jimbo is such a refreshing change for Mcghee who to be honest was only interested in Mark Mcghee and many occasions instead of standing up and saying " I got it wrong today" would have a go at the fans and the usual excuses.

Last night Gannon showed what kind of manager he is by encouraging the fans to be in full voice behind the team and give the Romanians stick.

When the Stockport fans were on saying how he was a god I was thinking that was just through his loyalty he had shown to that particular side.

I know its only been three games and maybe early days but I would love Gannon to be our boss for some time to come

Don't know if anyone has seen this...

Sporting Life Article

GANNON BLASTS OFFICIALS By Lisa Gray, Press Association Sport Chief Scottish Football Writer

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon hit out at the standard of referees in the Europa League this season after his side crashed out of the tournament to Steaua Bucharest.

The odds were always stacked against the Clydesdale Bank Premier League side as they headed into the second leg of the third qualifying round trailing by three goals from the first match.

Ross Forbes provided hope of a dramatic comeback early on but a Petre Marin penalty and brace from Bogdan Stancu killed off the tie.

Gannon believes his side had two decent shouts for handball which could have had an impact on the outcome of the tie and was sent to the stand by Spanish referee Carlos Gomez for venting his frustration in the dug-out.

He said: "I had a clear view of them but perhaps the referee was in a poor position for both of them.

"But you look at his overall performance and you ask yourself where he has come from and you realise he is from Spain and you think he should have done better.

"I've got to say, I've been really disappointed with the standard of referees in this competition. I think he was just waiting to send me off because I think I was the voice of all the fans who were so disappointed and angry with the way he had performed."

Gannon admits the second goal was always going to be crucial, adding: "We had two clear-penalty shouts and were disappointed not to get the second goal. The belief would have come from that.

"I knew the second goal would be critical. If we got it, the mood and atmosphere in the stadium would change in our favour. But, if they got it, it would have been the opposite."

Despite looking the better team for an hour, Gannon never allowed himself to believe it could be Motherwell's night.

"I was under no illusions that it would be a tough night and go all the way," he said.

"We wanted to be competitive and to make Steaua and their fans realise this was game on. We attacked well, we were purposeful and I was really proud of the boys for what they did in the first half.

"They rightly got a standing ovation. Unfortunately the momentum was sapped a little bit by the penalty."

Steaua coach Cristiano Bergodi was disappointed with the performance of his players overall but satisfied with the result.

He said: "I am very happy with the win, it was good for morale for the team. We had some problems in the first half, we risked too much and allowed Motherwell to attack and score.

"I said to the players at half-time that they weren't very good, there was a problem with the attitude and we were a little bit shy.

"In the second half we were better. Even though the game wasn't very good tonight, the players were pragmatic and scored three goals.

"It was good to see that even though the players were not very good they still scored goals. This will help us a lot in the future."

I've posted this on the game thread as well so sorry to do it again.

I've just watched the highlights on Eurosport and don't know if anybody else noticed what JG got sent to the stand for?

As he was shouting at the Ref. he lifts his hand and rubs his fingers together and clearly shouts "how much are you getting!" He basically accused the Ref of being paid off!

He only said what most in the stadium were thinking. I'm not saying we would have gone through, but hell what a claim for our club to be able to say we had beat a team of that standing.

Love this guys passion for the game, I like the style of our play and I know some on here are all wait and see and some think we might struggle this season. I for one don't. Bring it on is my shout and once again I'm sure we will all have Sat afternoons that put us on a downer on a Sat night but WE are Motherwell and as fans we accept that. Let me put my neck out here and say I think we will rip a few teams apart this season, top six minimum and a great cup run.

In Gannon we trust. :doh:

It's going to be a difficult one, especially if we don't get points on the board early.

After the way the gaffer has improved our return leg for very round of the europa games i will not be too concerned if we dont get too many points on the board early on. After seeing teams once he will change our tactics to suit playing the opposition. Something previous managers seemed incapable of

After the way the gaffer has improved our return leg for very round of the europa games i will not be too concerned if we dont get too many points on the board early on. After seeing teams once he will change our tactics to suit playing the opposition. Something previous managers semed incapable of

The thing you also need to think about is that the first leg in each tie was the first time JG had been the opposition other than on DVD. With the number of SPL matches played on a Sunday and Monday night, he will have an opportunity to go to matches and watch them play before we face them.

Stuart.

Doesn't sound good for the first few games of the season then!

Seriously, I think he has still to bring in a few players who will add a bit of experience before the beginning of the season but they won't be match-fit straght away. I don't think any of the new players are up to speed and that is why none of them played 90 mins. last night. It's great to see the youngsters coming through and showing they can add to the squad and the team but I think he'll rotate them as you can get a bit of inconsistency with too many youngsters. Also, they might be young and fast, but they often don't have the stamina yet and a few of them were on their last legs towards the end last night.

We have 8 days training till our opening game and i believe we'll be fine fitness wise and i also believe we'll have at least 2 players on board this week. I also believe in santa! :doh: .Seriously i've a good feeling about this season and think we've got a cracking manager better than MM whose going to have a relegation battle in his hands. :D

From what ive seen from the team so far im very optimistic about the coming season. :woop:

Weve finally got a manager whos passionate about the game.

A great bunch of young players.

Id still like us to sign another striker at least, and we definetly need a right back.

I think we will finish in the top 6

JIM GANNONS MOTHERWELL ARMY :thumbup:

I think it's good to have a manager that actually gets riled up and will make changes to try to turn the game.

Coke has really impressed me. Jennings still has a bit to go. Humphrey needs to learn to have an end product.

Forbes can be outstanding, as long as he has a good holding midfielder behind him.

Slane should set the spl alight.

Hutchison is a brilliant find, Best young defender i've seen at fir park.

Moving O'Brien to right back could be genius. Espescially with his delivery.

Reynolds in midfield IMO, the reason we dominated the first half last night.