Young Guns Go For It

Wee Alpha

Just back from the game ,gutted, but when Sloan and McHugh came on and had a go at the defence I saw that the future could be bright. If Murphy can get himself bulked up then I think we can have an attacking force that will take the rip out of most of the SPL. The boyos had 10 men behind the ball and it would have been hard for even the old squirm to break them down.

Forbes showed that he can hit the ball from distance at the end . Why not sooner !!!! and more often.

Jimbo has his work cut out for the return so why not invite Bellshill Athletic or someone like to practice breaking down a 10 man defence.

Any pub team can pack them in but it wasn't until our young guns ran at them that we looked like scoring. Mon the young uns lets get some excitement back at the Ark .

Keeping the faith ^_^

I thought Saunders and Murphy were both pretty poor tonight. Slane impressed me, and Forbes did well in a holding role (albeit against a team with no real attacking intent). McHugh looked keen. Let's not fall into the old trap of blindly praising young guys when they break into the team, then slag them for the exact same type of performance 18 months later. Fitzpatrick...

I thought Saunders and Murphy were both pretty poor tonight. Slane impressed me, and Forbes did well in a holding role (albeit against a team with no real attacking intent). McHugh looked keen.

Spot on Greg. Jamie Murphy is perhaps the most experienced of the emerging crop of youngsters but was a big disappointment tonight - he too often made the wrong decision. That said he prefers playing more open football.

Shortly before kick-off I was pleased to see the likes of Hammell, Sutton, Lasley and Reynolds adding their experience to a very makeshift team. Shortly after kick-off these were the very players that seemed least able to contribute to the team. McGarry was just McGarry!

Forbes underwhelmed me, spent too much of the time passing backwards, Murphy, I've gave my opinion on a nother thread, Saunders looks like he could be solid, but too often, he failed to cut inside and tried to take the hard option and it failed. Slane was a totally different kettle of fish, his direct running and demand of the ball reminded me of a certain J. McFadden, he was always looking for it, it didn't always come off, but he had something.

With his direct running and Darren Smith on the other side, we will fare a lot better in the return leg.

The same Darren Smith you were discussing with me before the game...? :lol:

The very same one, I think if we can train him to run diagonally from the sideline instead of straight down it, we may have a the problem solved.

I was at the game tonight but I do not think it was a disaster. We should have won with maybe 15-20 attempts on goal, but thats football and I have been watching the Well for decades not to expect the unexpected . It will have given Gannon a good look at guys like McGarry ( lots of effort but little to show) and Sutton, not a mobile versatile player that Gannon says he likes. I was surprised Sutton stayed on the pitch, to be honest.

OK with most of the other players efforts, O Briens' generally disappointing end product worthy of note. What we really missed was someone capable of variety to make the correct choice of play at the right time, i.e Hughes

If we lose the tie I will be spectacularly hacked off but very surprised

I was at the game tonight but I do not think it was a disaster.

We lost 1 nil to a part-time side. Yes we might turn it around (with an insane amount of luck) but it certainly doesn't do our player recruitment drive any good. Prize money to pay wages and prospect of euro football, or at least the exposure it brings, to attract players are going down the drain. Maybe not a disaster but certainly not good.