Shooting From The Hip

one_luc_nijholt

I wasnt at the game so cant really comment ... but are these types of public words wise only a week into the job??

Motherwell boss Jim Gannon slates skipper Craigan after Llanelli horror show

Jul 3 2009 Neil Cameron

RAGING Motherwell manager Jim Gannon last night threatened to flog the flops who lost to Welsh part-timers Llanelli.

The new manager also admitted he was far from impressed by his players when he watched them crash in a bounce game against Rhyl at the weekend – then took a swipe at skipper Stephen Craigan.

Motherwell will be forced to play catch-up when they travel to Wales for next Thursday’s second leg – a game they must win or their Europa League dream will be dead before most fans have been on holiday.

Gannon – who fielded a string of youngsters and looked to a handful of more experienced players such as Craigan to support them – said: “My first impression of the players came on Saturday against Rhyl and they were poor.

“There was poor athleticism, poor quality on the ball, poor penetration and not enough stature in the team to have any effect on the young bucks.I was pleased with one thing that came out of tonight and that was, after three days’t raining,the lads are coachable.

“The young guys were the best players on the pitch. People might say I’m ageist but I have always had a belief in young players.

“I look across that pitch and see players we need to replace.Everyone is talking about who we are going to bring in but there are players out there who need to be replaced.”

Gannon then had a pop at Craigan when he said: “We have an experienced centre-half who doesn’t compete for the ball and they get a free header at the goal.

Players have a responsibility on the pitch and they must live up to it to the best of their ability. I’ll judge them on that. We are fortunate this is a two-legged tie.”

When asked if an SPL side,even with so many problems, should ever lose to a team such as Llanelli, Gannon said: “There are mitigating circumstances.I have been on the other side of those results.These games can be tricky.

“SPL sides probably shouldn’t be beaten at home like this but it’s not for me to judge.”

Llanelli player-manager Andy Legg was an understandably happyman. He said: “I’m delighted for the players.They worked so hard.This is probably the best result in the club’s history.”

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I look across that pitch and see players we need to replace.Everyone is talking about who we are going to bring in but there are players out there who need to be replaced."

Just making sure everyone knows that their place in the team is not guaranteed and not to get in a comfort zone.

Don't see him having a pop at Craigan but just saying what he saw happen and having the bollox to then say it in public. It's all too easy for a manager to go easy on a poor team in interviews and always protect them but it takes guts to stand up and say your all shite and either pull your socks up or I will replace you!

He is not here to make friends but to do a (very difficult) job and I'm hopeful about the future if JB lets him have some ££££££.

PS Based on last nite, we are worse than shite - FACT!

YES - 100% correct and refreshingly different from the usual cagey reaction of the SFA mafia who are afraid to step on the prima donna's toes. I know the private and public face is often quite different, but think it is time that all the players, inluding some of the youngsters need to take a long hard look at themselves regarding their fitness and professional levels - if some are so unfit after 40 days of the end of the season, then questions need to be asked about their own professionalism.

There was poor athleticism, poor quality on the ball, poor penetration and not enough stature in the team to have any effect...
- succinctly summed up the whole of Scottish Football over the past 30 years in one sentence and after only a few days in the job.

Looks like he has no time for the senior players left at the club-though I doubt he will get much for them if he did try and flog the lot.

Starting from scratch with a bunch of kids and some makeweight duds from the lower leagues in England is a recipe for disaster though-reckon he will be gone by Christmas and the drop beckons for us.

some makeweight duds from the lower leagues in England

How can you judge these signings from the lower leagues? Have you an in-depth knowledge of the lower leagues of England?? When was the last time you saw the lad Jennings play a full game??

Were Porter(League 1) and Foran(League 2) lightweight duds from the lower leagues?

Interesting how the sensationalist headline has him "slating" Craigan, then the article has him "taking a swipe", when all he said was that his experienced centre half didn't compete for that ball, which was absolutely correct.

Looks like he has no time for the senior players left at the club-though I doubt he will get much for them if he did try and flog the lot.

Starting from scratch with a bunch of kids and some makeweight duds from the lower leagues in England is a recipe for disaster though-reckon he will be gone by Christmas and the drop beckons for us.

As opposed to a bunch of kids and some makeweight duds from the SPL - I really do despair for us as a support sometime - the man's only in the job, has barely got his feet under the desk and we've got some who think he's a failure waiting to happen :P .

If they are any good, we wouldn't be able to afford their wages.

Last season's pre season friendlies showed where we were- stuffed Bradford, drew with championship sides.

But no, you are right,the guys he will bring in will be world-beaters. I take it all back.

The guy has inherited a mess - he has been in the door a few days - has had NO chance to add to the squad for last night's game. We had a team out with only 4 1st choice starters from last season.

This was not an SPL club that lost to llanelli - this was effectively their reserves.

Judge Gannon a couple of months into the new season.

If they are any good, we wouldn't be able to afford their wages.

Chris Porter??

Last season's pre season friendlies showed where we were- stuffed Bradford, drew with championship sides.

They were friendlies, i bet if we played them in proper matches, it would be tighter against all of these sides.

But no, you are right,the guys he will bring in will be world-beaters. I take it all back.

They might not be world beaters but i bet you a monkey that they as good or in fact better than the likes of the players who have left. Quinn, Hughes, Clarkson, Klimpl, Smith etc etc were hardly world beaters themselves.

We had a team out with only 4 1st choice starters from last season.

This was not an SPL club that lost to llanelli - this was effectively their reserves.

maybe they weren't first choice starters last season but McGarry has show he has skill and can use it the season before, so has Fitzpatrick and Smith. If we were just going to play our U19 side why not do that - at least they have played together. JG has only been in the door 4 days - I ask again why not go with all your first team players and fit in youngsters where necessary. Forbes may well be turn out to be a 1st team midfield general but none of the others were used to playing with him in that role. Poor tactics by the manager.

He has inherited a mess, and I reckon the plan to get us out of it is decidedly dodgy.

Alienating one of our few decent players, perhaps in a misguided attempt to show that he is the boss, is not a good way to start- makes him look a bit of a wank.

Motherwells manager was 100% spot on in his comments i am completely behing Mr Gannon and hope everyone else is too.

As am I but when he is being honest about his players performances he should be considering his own choices and tactics. at least he made the substitutions but IMO the wrong ones. I am all for switching players about, as he did with Murphy, but he also did this with O'brien - right to left later in 2nd half - but took him off 2 minutes later - which just meant the substitution took longer - you're only meant to do that when you're winning

I ask again why not go with all your first team players and fit in youngsters where necessary. Poor tactics by the manager.

Isn't that what he did ? Seriously, who was missing ? Fitzpatrick and Smith ? Would not have made the slightest difference had they played and I'm glad they didn't as we saw some decent glimpses from the young guys.

We started last night with Hammell, Reynolds, Craigan, O'Brien, Lasley, McGarry and Sutton. That's seven very experienced SPL players, plus Fraser played regularly for Inverness.

You do realise there's a reason that G Smith, Quinn, Klimpl, Clarkson, Hughes, McLean, Malcolm and Sheridan were absent last night.

Poor tactics my arse - you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Stuart.

They might not be world beaters but i bet you a monkey that they as good or in fact better than the likes of the players who have left. Quinn, Hughes, Clarkson, Klimpl, Smith etc etc were hardly world beaters themselves.

I simply do not believe that-these were decent professionals who generally did a good job for us. With a very limited budget we will get dross.

He has inherited a mess, and I reckon the plan to get us out of it is decidedly dodgy.

Alienating one of our few decent players, perhaps in a misguided attempt to show that he is the boss, is not a good way to start- makes him look a bit of a wank.

..he is the boss. End of.

Stuart.

He IS the boss and Craigan IS the captain and an experienced international. I think Craigan will be as disappointed as anyone, if not more, but he is big enough to realise that JG is talking about all the experienced players and I'm sure Crags will be doing as much as anyone to raise their game for next week. Remember Craigan has been on the other side of this coin - NI 1- 0 England

Great to see Jimbo tell it like it is. Time for the players to take last night and all the criticism on the chin and stans up to be counted.

I'm sure that Jimbo will do a fine job.