Was Last Night 'well's Worst Ever Result ?

trafficlight

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't the problem. We were struggling and just brought in a new gaffer. To shake things up, he said the entire first team was up for sale and dropped them all. The team that lost was basically the reserves.

Cheers for the info. To be fair then, there were strong mitigating circumstances for that defeat, even though it was 0-8.

Were/are Ma Pa 47 a professional team ?

They were a pro team and still are. The team that beat us 3-1 at Fir park contained Sami Hyypia and Jonas Kolkka. I think in my time following the 'Well last night was the worst single result but at least we still have a chance to turn things around.

I wasn't so bitter or angry about last nights result as I have been with many bad results previously.

Last night however we were playing a bunch of builders, policemen, and a man the size of an asteroid. That was the worst result I've ever seen.

Losing to Meadowbank Thistle on the telly.

Seem to remember that the same day that Berwick had their big day in Jan '67 we lost against East Fife IIRC, however the result down at Shielfield Park put ours in the shade somewhat.

Unfortunately we didnt have a Berwick to take the heat of us last night.

For the 'Well fans who have never suffered like that before (or the ones who have blanked it out!), it's a fine lesson. There is no such thing as a team that we can be "expected to beat"; especially in a cup tie.

Unlike some other fiascoes, however, we still have a chance to turn things round in the second leg. The only difference with this season is that the roller coaster is up and running a few week's early.

That wasn't the problem. We were struggling and just brought in a new gaffer. To shake things up, he said the entire first team was up for sale and dropped them all. The team that lost was basically the reserves.

I don't remember that bit but I do remember that we went for a long stretch without a win and that McLeod had been at the club for about 3 or 4 months. What I do remember is that we were crap that night and that it was one hell of a long journey home. Oh by the way Fergie had only been there from the start of the season and that Harper scored 3.

As there were last night
Absolutely. I understand that there are positive financial implications for getting past the first round or two, but a large part of me still sees this as pre-season work. Of course, I'd much rather we win, but I'm still more interested in how we shape up for the start of the season proper.

As there were last night

You could make that case for sure : new manager with only a couple of days in the job, a number of first teamers from last season gone, a 'home tie' played in another town. None of that bodes well against a team playing the biggest match of their lives. Still a huge upset - I believe someone said Llanelli were 14/1 before kick off - but as has been mentioned, not unique in Motherwell's history and there is a still a chance for redemption.

Good to get some historical context from those in the know anyway.

In my humble opinion certain games like losing to Forfar in the SLC is worse than getting beat by the 2nd best team in Wales, who were playing Champions League football last year, only after a week or so of pre-season training after selling off 2 of our biggest players last year and losing another 3 or 4 important players for us to freebies. Added to the fact our new manager had been in place for 2 days or so, it's no shock we didn't win last night.

Perspective.

In my humble opinion certain games like losing to Forfar in the SLC is worse than getting beat by the 2nd best team in Wales, who were playing Champions League football last year, only after a week or so of pre-season training after selling off 2 of our biggest players last year and losing another 3 or 4 important players for us to freebies. Added to the fact our new manager had been in place for 2 days or so, it's no shock we didn't win last night.

Perspective.

You can't defend it by saying they are the second best team in wales because they are not. That befalls to Cardiff or Swansea whatever your opinions are on that. They are the second best team in the Welsh Premier. Being the second best team in the welsh premier does not make you a great team and we would qualify for the Champions League every year if in the Welsh Premier, so being in the Welsh Premier every year doesn't make you a great team. I may be wrong so correct me if you wish, but i don't think Llanelli have ever won a tie in European football.

Defend the the team if you wish , I respect that, but don't patronise the rest of us on here by saying that Llanelli are a good because they finished 2nd in the Welsh premier or that they were in the Champions League where they fell at the 1st hurdle. As for Forfar, they would finish in the top half, at the very least, of the welsh premier.

I think this was probably the worst result in the clubs history. The fact that it was a UEFA cup match raises its importance over domestic matches like Alloa and Queens Park games.

Also, people are saying things like, they are "the 2nd best team in Wales" but really, no offense to Llanelli fans, but that Llanelli team would be lucky to survive in the Scottish 2nd Division and probably isn't even 3rd Division quality. They were the worst team we've ever played in a competitive match in my life time and we still lost.

I was worried before hand, I thought Llanelli would be of a decent standard, not SPL, but decent but when I saw them warming up you could see just how bad their basic touch and ability was. I was sure, even with the depleted squad we could win 3-0 or 4-0 without too much effort. We SHOULD have done but obviously that didn't happen.

It was shameful and then and now I still wouldn't care less if every player that played that night had his contracted ripped up and was shown the door. It was that bad.