Tipped For The Drop

happyslappy

Either he hasn't done his homework, or Boyle and Gannon quite simply have been telling us mistruths!

Despite new manager Jim Gannon coming n board, he has no money to spend whatsoever and with the likes of Graeme Smith, Bob Malcolm, Stephen Hughes and David Clarkson already leaving theclub before Quinn, it will be a tough ask for Gannon to bring in players on free transfers or on loan that will keep Motherwell away from relegation

Either he hasn't done his homework, or Boyle and Gannon quite simply have been telling us mistruths!

I think Boyle and Gannon have been careful with their language. When they say there is 'money available' I think they mean that there is money in the wages budget to bring new players in. When they say they will bring in 5 or 6 new players well that's still fewer than the small squad we had last season.

I'd be very surprised if we paid out transfer fees that were anything more than nominal. It will be Bosman and free transfers that come in and season 2009/10 WILL be a season of cut backs.

Total crystal ball garbage. They picked Kilmarnock last season so it shows what they know.

At this stage, no-one - except maybe JG - what calibre of players will come into the Well side. However, I don't think the quality of players that have just departed - Smith, Clarkson, Quinn, etc. - are irreplaceable. Coupled with a desire to develop young talent, I think there is cause for optimism.

One further factor in M'well's favour is finances. At least we have brought in over £1m through transfer fees. We are in far better shape than Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Hamilton, St Johnstone and St Mirren. Although bigger clubs, neither Hibs nor Aberdeen are flush with cash for squad investment. And as for Hearts - well when is the £30m+ debt crisis going to hit the fan?

So think deeper Scotzine :doh:

It's going to be a year of cut backs across the board, already Accies look worse than us, if the rumoured interest in Easton comes true, then McArthur and McArthy will likely follow suit, they'd be well and trully fucked then.

We are in far better shape than Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Hamilton, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

Don't think anyone's in better shape than St Mirren. Didn't they rake in over £9m from the sale of Love St.?

I think a few belts will be tightened this season but they'll be in a relatively comfortable position financially although they'll probably still be shite on the pitch. :P

I predict a 10-way relegation scrap

Don't think anyone's in better shape than St Mirren. Didn't they rake in over £9m from the sale of Love St.?

Nah, Tesco got Love Street, and in return St Mirren got a new ground built for them, and £1m in the bank, or so im led to believe.

According to the SPL financial report that was just published, St. Mirren sold Love Street for 9.2 million and made a net profit of almost 11 million. However, there wage bill rose 15% and their attendances fell 19% from the previous year.

According to the SPL financial report that was just published, St. Mirren sold Love Street for 9.2 million and made a net profit of almost 11 million. However, there wage bill rose 15% and their attendances fell 19% from the previous year.

I wouldn't argue with them figures, we are fairly stable but with the recent Setanta disaster this could hit quite a few clubs. Setanta could equate to almost a third of most clubs income, thats quite a sum to make up. There are certainly other clubs who will be shi**ing themselves already, we aren't one of them. :P

If we don't improve on the pitch the attendances will continue to drop. :O

If lack of television money means that the clubs get their finances in order and start focusing on the development of home-grown players, then I think it will be beneficial for football in the long run. Even in the SPL there are too many overpaid players of average ability.

Let's just hope they're wrong!

I know it is early days and JG will have my full support, but we have lost virtually our entire first team from last year. It remains to be seen who we can bring in and whether they take time to knit together and adjust to the SPL. The worry is that the replacements simply won't be as good as Hughes, Clarkson, Quinn and Smith....

For what it's worth, I reckon Hamilton are doomed if they lose the traitor and the other two.

If lack of television money means that the clubs get their finances in order and start focusing on the development of home-grown players, then I think it will be beneficial for football in the long run. Even in the SPL there are too many overpaid players of average ability.

Agree on all the above.

Back to topic, team to go down..................... Rangers. :P

I wouldn't argue with them figures, we are fairly stable but with the recent Setanta disaster this could hit quite a few clubs. Setanta could equate to almost a third of most clubs income, thats quite a sum to make up. There are certainly other clubs who will be shi**ing themselves already, we aren't one of them. :P

If we don't improve on the pitch the attendances will continue to drop. :O

Don't really want to talk about St Mirren, no really I don't honestly....but you'll also be well into the "familiarity zone" next season too which will knock a few off your attendances home and away.

You've been up for a few seasons now so the impetus of winning the league has long worn off and with it the punters that just like to see winning teams, the dour struggle to stay up will have knocked off a few more and the prospect of visiting the same old grounds at expensive SPL prices being aggrivated by stewards and polis will have taken its toll too.

I take it they had to spend a good deal of the £9.2m on building the new ground or does anyone know if they got the ground on top of the money?

Anyway, I had a bet on Killie to go down last year (mainly because the odds were much better than the other likely candidates) and with a few games to go it looked a distinct possibility. This year I'll tip Accies but probably not put money on it as the odds will mean it won't be worth my while.

A few of the visitors from Stockport stated that Gannon took a while to get his team fully functioning - but once it was functioning it was worth the wait.

Would he get the time to build a team - with a low finish next season - by the Fir Park faithful though? Personally, I'd accept a low finish if we were guaranteed a steady progression after that. You'll never get that guarantee though.

It's impossible to guage our chances until the end of August when we'll have the squad in place that's going to see us through to January, but I reckon we'll be mid table again.

I take it they had to spend a good deal of the £9.2m on building the new ground or does anyone know if they got the ground on top of the money?

The SPL report says they made £11m profit, including £9.2m from the ground sale. This would suggest that the £9.2m was clear profit from the deal.

Bear in mind that the new ground is situated in Ferguslie Park where land prices average 40p an acre. Add to that the price of a large meccano set and a lawn and the new ground looks quite a bargain.