The Sun Today

ScottW1886

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a great photo of Jim in his outfit from Stanislas Sq. on my phone that makes me smile every time I look at it (it's just after the one with Special AKA and his fetching lemon beret) - I hope we're all as enthusiastic and colourful in our later years following the 'well.

Without going down the route of the old thread I'd just like to say that I hope Jim recovers fully and his ability to attend Fir park and his enjoyment isn't affected by this in the slightest.

All the Best Sir!

get well soon old dosser and I also note the the arseholes who did got lifted and banned.

It's a shame the sun did add the fact the Well support marched through the town and were praised for there conduct by all parties but then again that would be a good news story.

Spoke about this yesterday when Modernist told me about the Wishaw Press. He reckoned the Nationals might pick up on it and he's been proved right. Surprised they didn't pick it from the previous thread right enough.

We know the vast majority of fans down there behaved impeccably, The Sun readers don't need to know anything more. Tomorrow's chip papers.

Appalling! Hope this old gentleman makes a full recovery and supports the Well for many years to come. I truelly believe our fans are marvellous but this has shocked me and i just hope the two scumbags who did this get their commupence. Surely a lot of people who went to Wales know whose responsible.

Spoke about this yesterday when Modernist told me about the Wishaw Press. He reckoned the Nationals might pick up on it and he's been proved right. Surprised they didn't pick it from the previous thread right enough.

We know the vast majority of fans down there behaved impeccably, The Sun readers don't need to know anything more. Tomorrow's chip papers.

I'm sure the guy who wrote the article is a Motherwell fan and regular poster on here?

Not seen the Wishy Press, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same journalist.

Guest 'Flow

It is yea... Coulda done without the national coverage on it but these things happen I suppose!

Main thing is Jim is on the mend and the club have tried to look after him!

'Flow

Is it written into the course when you're studying journalism at Uni that loyalty counts for feck all and that you have to sell your soul to the devil?

99% of the 'Well fans behaved in the correct manner, the club conducted themselves as well as they could have done, yet the nation will view us as a bunch of thugs.

I know that a minority can often tarnish the reputation of the majority, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth when it's one of our own who lets the world know.

Disappointed in you, Scott.

I know that a minority can often tarnish the reputation of the majority, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth when it's one of our own who lets the world know.

Me anawl <_<

It would have been extremely easy and appropriate to add a line of 'While 1998 other Motherwell fans recieved praise for their friendliness and impeccable behaviour two thugs .......

Is it no?

:huh:

Is it written into the course when you're studying journalism at Uni that loyalty counts for feck all and that you have to sell your soul to the devil?

99% of the 'Well fans behaved in the correct manner, the club conducted themselves as well as they could have done, yet the nation will view us as a bunch of thugs.

Never heard of editors?

Perhaps Scott did write about 99.9% of the fans behaving impecably, perhaps he did write about the fans mingling and marching to the ground without incident, perhaps he did write about the fanzone and the coming together of both sets of fans...I dunno?

just goes to show that loyalty to the club means nothing when your a journalist i agree that ok 2 idiots wrecked the trip but would it not have been better to say about the rest of the fans behaving and getting praised for the way they conducted themselves really annoyed that a fellow fan could turn on the club he supports like this <_<

I agree with Kirky, how do we know that he never wrote that. The draft that gets sent to the editors isn't always what gets printed in the papers. So everybody get off there high horse and give him a chance to explain himself.

And if he hasn't written about the rest of the well fans and how well behaved they are throw him to the lions with a bit of silverside round his neck. <_<

I agree with Kirky, how do we know that he never wrote that. The draft that gets sent to the editors isn't always what gets printed in the papers. So everybody get off there high horse and give him a chance to explain himself.

And if he hasn't written about the rest of the well fans and how well behaved they are throw him to the lions with a bit of silverside round his neck. <_<

You could also ask how the story came to the attention of aforementioned editor in the first place, however I'm not going to judge without hearing the guys version of events. He may have highlighted the story with the best of intentions and given a very decent account of the full events which has been edited to suit the national's interests, however suffice to say it's wise to retain a cynisicm when dealing in the world of the modern media.

Hugh Keevins

He's a special case though. <_<

Personally speaking, if I'd been Scott I would have gone down the road of keeping my personal interests and my professional work entirely seperate, however from his posts on here in the past he's obviously chosen to try and get a bit of work in terms of sports reporting, so it would be a bit difficult to keep the two mutually exclusive.

That said I still wouldn't have highlighted this story to the nation regardless of what positive slant I could have attempted to put on it, or indeed what professional gain was in it. However we don't know if he was asked to cover it or if he took it to them.

Never heard of editors?

Perhaps Scott did write about 99.9% of the fans behaving impecably, perhaps he did write about the fans mingling and marching to the ground without incident, perhaps he did write about the fanzone and the coming together of both sets of fans...I dunno?

Exactly.

Most stories for national dailies are written bigger than the space on the page they end up in - especially if it is submitted by a freelance or news agency, who get paid according to the space the published story fills on the page. Even staff reporters write longer than needed, because it is easier for a sub to cut a story down than to lengthen it if it is too short.

The basic copy sub will then be given the text and a frame to fit it into, and will then have to decide what to cut out to make it fit. He/she will also rewrite according to the paper's style of writing and style of content. The Sun has a very precise style based on keeping things concise and punchy - it is often said in journalistic circles that it is far harder to write for the Sun than the broadsheets, because it is far easier to cover a story with more words rather than keep the essence of it in a very restricted space.

Even after it has been subbed, it will then pass through at least two more levels of subbing, therefore adding at least two more opinions on what the story should focus on, and more changes will ensue.

In other words, criticising Scott for missing anything out is way off the mark.

I think it does when you agree to work for the sun in any capacity, but I guess starting out you maybe feel you can't afford to be fussy.

Yeah, we always show this level of understanding and sympathy when we read something with Hugh Keevins' name on it, don't we? <_<

Keevins is at the other end of the spectrum as far as experience goes and is more responsible (!) for what he writes. What's more, he repeats much of it on Clyde 1, where he has more control over what goes out under his name, and where it is straight from the horse's arse's mouth

Exactly.

Most stories for national dailies are written bigger than the space on the page they end up in - especially if it is submitted by a freelance or news agency, who get paid according to the space the published story fills on the page. Even staff reporters write longer than needed, because it is easier for a sub to cut a story down than to lengthen it if it is too short.

The basic copy sub will then be given the text and a frame to fit it into, and will then have to decide what to cut out to make it fit. He/she will also rewrite according to the paper's style of writing and style of content. The Sun has a very precise style based on keeping things concise and punchy - it is often said in journalistic circles that it is far harder to write for the Sun than the broadsheets, because it is far easier to cover a story with more words rather than keep the essence of it in a very restricted space.

Even after it has been subbed, it will then pass through at least two more levels of subbing, therefore adding at least two more opinions on what the story should focus on, and more changes will ensue.

In other words, criticising Scott for missing anything out is way off the mark.

OK, so for the sake of discussion, say something unfair was printed about you in a column by Darryl Broadfoot in the Herald - Who would you hold a grudge against? It seems to me that, by your logic, nobody can ever be held personally accountable for anything damaging that's put in print.