Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are at the begining of a new age, with our new coach. We are playing better and better from match to match, but we aren't at full capacity(we're probably at 50-60% right now). Our players are treating your team with respect, and they admit that you are a serious opponent.

Goian: "We must be very carefull with Motherwell"

The eight goals scored by Motherwell against Flamurtari, are giving goosebumps to Goian. Steaua's defender said that the "red-blues" need to take extra precautions to stop the offensive power of the opponents from the third qualifying round of Europa League.

"There are enough reasons to take this match seriously, it will be a very powerfull "double". I think their match against Flamurtari was played on the field, I don't believe the speculations about the rigged game. They are a very powerfull team, and we need to take the precautions that we wouldn't have needed(it sounds like i screwed the translation here, please correct me) to take against other teams. We haven't had the chance to see them on tape, but if they come from the Scottish Championship, they must be powerfull.", said Dorin Goian ar sport.ro"

That's quite an interesting read, and the translation is excellent, considering how stupid a language English is in terms of grammar. I don't think you could call Motherwell powerful, but Gannon seems to be quite switched on tactically so this whole tie should be a very interesting affair.

I have no intention of making a prediction, I just hope that it can be tight in the first leg so we have a chance in the return.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/133457112

MOTHERWELL have been warned they will play in one of European football's most racist and hostile atmospheres when they face Steaua Bucharest on Thursday.

In 2005 the club were hammered with a fine and had their home ground, Stadion Ghencea, closed for one match after two black players representing Irish club Shelbourne were targeted during a Champions League qualifier.

Shelbourne's manager at the time, Pat Fenlon, now in charge of Bohemians, recalled the nightmare his team suffered on their trip to the Romanian capital.

Steaua may no longer enjoy the standing they had in the 1980s when they won the European Cup and reached another final but their Ultras have established a fearsome reputation for intimidating visiting fans and verbally abusing black players. There isconcern the Steelmen's new signing, Chris Humphrey, could be targeted by thugs in Thursday's Europa League third-round first-leg qualifier.

Fenlon said: "That night the atmosphere was the most hostile I have ever experienced and there was a racist element to it into the bargain. It was an extremely intimidating and incredibly difficult night.

"We had two black players, Curtis Fleming and Joseph Ndo, and both had to put up with terrible abuse.

"It wasn't the first time the boys had heard that kind of stuff but you really don't expect it these days.

"I think it affectedall theplayers.They didn't like their mates having to take that sort of garbage. There were only about 17,000 inside the stadium but they made some noise. It was unpleasant.

"You can put up with hostility but the racist chanting left a bad taste.Itwas only right they had their stadium closed for one game after that night."

Crowd trouble has been a big problem for Steaua in recent years with their Ultras in the north stand frequently clashing with opposition fans and police.

The few Shelbourne supporters who made the journey four years ago were put in a corner right beside the Ultras and endured a horrible night.

Shock

Fenlon said: "The stadium is old and a little run down. The Motherwell fans are in for a bit of a shock.

"What I would say is that wasn't my first visit to Bucharest and it's a city which has really improved in terms of being open to visitors. But there is one hell of a gulf between rich and poor."

Fenlon knows Motherwell boss Jim Gannon well as they were team- mates at Shelbourne.

And while this is by some distance a far more difficult match then Llanelli or FK Flamurtari, the Bohemians boss believes it's a game the SPL side can win.

Fenlon said: "There are few more tactically aware than Jim. He was even like that as a player.

"Steaua were a very good team four years ago but they didn't fancy it when they came to Dublin.

"We lost 4-1 over there but got back to 1-1 and then had a player sent off. That really killed us.

"But you could tell they weren't up for the match at our place. If Motherwell can take anything from Thursday then they have an excellent chance.

"Jim will have his players thoroughly prepared. Motherwell are a young team and it's going to be a great learning experience."

Steaua became the first Eastern European side to win the European Cup in 1986. After a dreadful 120 minutes without a goal in Seville they beat Terry Venables' Barcelona 2-0 in a shootout.

They reached the final again three years later but were soundly beaten 4-0 by AC Milan in the Nou Camp.

But their fortunes have dipped in recent years and their sixth- place finish in Romania's top flight last season was their lowest position in 27 years.

Speed

Manager Cristiano Bergodi, a former Lazio captain, was full of praise for Gannon's youthful side who stunned even themselves when they thrashed Albanians Flamurtari 8-1 last week.

He said: "I went to the first leg and could see Motherwell were a strong team. I wasn't surprised they won at home, although no one could have expected such a big score.

"What really impressed me, having watched them in person and on DVD, was their young players. They are a new team with a lot of exciting youth, a lot of speed.

"We have to accept this will be a tough game for Steaua but I still think we are strong enough to qualify.

"We have a lot of experience in our team, a lot of players who play for their national teams, and that counts for a great deal in these competitions."

Good article in todays scottish daily mail about Gigi Becali, the owner of Steaua. Sorry, can't get a link. Talks about his links to neo-facists and proposals to finish off all homosexuals in Romania! Also says Steaua fans have been punished by UEFA for violence , racist chanting and '' other general outbreaks of madness'' :D

Steaua dont think we've got a chance in hell, but Big saba Laszlo seems to think differently :D

To add to the insult, Dmitru Dragomir, president of the Romanian League, said: "I've never heard of Motherwell. Who are Motherwell?" Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo, though, has defended Gannon's side and warned Steaua not to take them lightly.

Laszlo, who was born and played in Romania, said: "I know both teams well.

"I watched Steaua beat Ujpest Dosza and I give them one piece of advice - you will need to play much better to beat Well."

Whoa, your press is as stupid as our own. Don't mind the Ujpest game, there's some grinding happening from both of the sides(Romania/Hungary). They want autonomy in our own country, and that's why we're so fiercefull against them.

Talking about the xenophobic atmosphere, that is, i think, a thing of the past. And UEFA said that if we do something like light up a torch, we might be banned from Europe, after the Ujpest episode. So, I don't think there will be problems at the match.

We are the most civilized "pack" of supporters from all the Romanian teams(and i'm not saying that because I'm a Steaua supporter). Back when we played Real Madrid, and they beat us 1-4 at home, from the second goal, the whole stadium started to applaud them.

But that doesn't mean we won't support our team, as great as we can. Expect a heck of an atmosphere on the stadium. :lol:

BTW, the stadium was renovated for the UCL games, so it's an "Elite" stadium, by UEFA standards. It's not "old and a little run down."

Cocky Steaua Bucharaest tell Motherwell: You've no hope

Jul 28 2009 By Craig Swan

LOUDMOUTH Steaua Bucharest chief Gigi Becali last night launched an astonishing dismissal of Motherwell.

Jim Gannon's team are preparing for their trip to the Romanian capital for Thursday night's Europa League first-leg clash.

Well are hoping to cause an upset and book a place in the play-off round of the competition.

Becali, however, has disrespectfully written off the chances of the SPL team before a ball has been kicked.

The outspoken Steaua president said: "Motherwell don't stand a chance in front of Steaua. We will go through without trouble.

"I don't know any of their players and they are not a team we should be afraid of." Becali's latest blast is sure to fire up Gannon, left, and Co.

The Steaua chief has already annoyed the Steelemen by pouring scorn on their 8-1 victory over Flamurtari last midweek. Gannon's young team were impressive against the Albanians but Becali claimed he thought the result was a fix and may have been connected to a betting ring.

To add to the insult, Dmitru Dragomir, president of the Romanian League, said: "I've never heard of Motherwell. Who are Motherwell?" Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo, though, has defended Gannon's side and warned Steaua not to take them lightly.

Laszlo, who was born and played in Romania, said: "I know both teams well.

"I watched Steaua beat Ujpest Dosza and I give them one piece of advice - you will need to play much better to beat Well."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-21553045/