Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

With so many changes to the team, and comparatively few games, it's difficult to gauge how good we are. The youngsters in the team don't remember when Steaua were at their peak, so won't be too worried about history.

I think we will lose in Bucharest, win back home and go out overall to the odd goal in 5. If we manage to keep it tight in the first leg, however, we could sneak it.

So there you have my prediction. We'll probably lose, but we might win. You heard it here first :unsure:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are a team with a European pedigree and a much bigger club than we are, so going by that, it appears to be a tall order. However, as you say none of us really know how good a football team they actually are so anything is possible yet. One thing's for sure, they will be a far better outfit than the previous two sides we've played so we will need to raise our game considerably. It would be quite something to be able to say that we knocked Steaua Bucharest out of Europe.

As I said, if we can get on the scoresheet in Bucharest then we will give ourselves a chance.

Just the fact that we have even a miniscule chance of competing with Steaua Bucharest, who are a massive club and a a team in particular i have huge respect for excites me. Can we beat them? We'l need to play at our best for sure but it isnt out of the question.

Who thought we'd beat Celtic in '91? Especially after it was taken to a replay. From time to time things like this happen in football and after the way we'v started this campaign i wouldnt bet against us.

But how good is this Steaua team? I'm sure the Romanian guys around could answer that. Would they give the Old Firm a game ? If the answer is no, surely 'Well have reason for optimism.

From the UEFA rankings,

28 - Glasgow Rangers

32 - Steaua Bucharest

48 - Celtic

If we can beat either half of the scum now and again then I don't see why we couldn't do the same against Steaua.

Yup, Steaua are certainly a bigger name with a more presitigious history, but if they were so much better than Motherwell, they wouldn't be pre-qualifying for the Europa League. They'll start as favourites, but a 'Well win wouldn't be the biggest ever shock. As I said, play the Steaua of today, not their reputation. It certainly won't be easy, but they aren't the force they were in the communist era.

From the UEFA rankings,

28 - Glasgow Rangers

32 - Steaua Bucharest

48 - Celtic

If we can beat either half of the scum now and again then I don't see why we couldn't do the same against Steaua.

Rangers 28 :O I could name about 100 teams in Europe better than that shower of shites :doh:

We are at the begining of a new age, with our new coach. We are playing better and better from match to match, but we aren't at full capacity(we're probably at 50-60% right now). Our players are treating your team with respect, and they admit that you are a serious opponent.

Goian: "We must be very carefull with Motherwell"

The eight goals scored by Motherwell against Flamurtari, are giving goosebumps to Goian. Steaua's defender said that the "red-blues" need to take extra precautions to stop the offensive power of the opponents from the third qualifying round of Europa League.

"There are enough reasons to take this match seriously, it will be a very powerfull "double". I think their match against Flamurtari was played on the field, I don't believe the speculations about the rigged game. They are a very powerfull team, and we need to take the precautions that we wouldn't have needed(it sounds like i screwed the translation here, please correct me) to take against other teams. We haven't had the chance to see them on tape, but if they come from the Scottish Championship, they must be powerfull.", said Dorin Goian ar sport.ro"

Shows you what happens when you can buy your way into Europe every year by denying the rest a fair crack of the whip. Steaua are much the same from years gone by I seem to recall.

The mere fact we are playing a team of that calibre and people are thinking we might be able to cause an upset is brilliant.

At risk of being overl optimistic, I cant think of a better way to go into a game like this than on the back of last Thursdays game.

Yup, Steaua are certainly a bigger name with a more presitigious history, but if they were so much better than Motherwell, they wouldn't be pre-qualifying for the Europa League. They'll start as favourites, but a 'Well win wouldn't be the biggest ever shock. As I said, play the Steaua of today, not their reputation. It certainly won't be easy, but they aren't the force they were in the communist era.

Teams like Roma,Hamburg and Galatassary(who Steaua beat last year) are in at this round. Of course,we can still beat them over two legs but it will be extremely difficult. My predictions,for what is is worth is for a 3-1 defeat in Bucharest followed by wild optimism that the deficit is retreavable. In Airdire a 1-1 draw allows us to keep our heads held high while departing the competition.

The mere fact we are playing a team of that calibre and people are thinking we might be able to cause an upset is brilliant.

At risk of being overl optimistic, I cant think of a better way to go into a game like this than on the back of last Thursdays game.

yeah lol

im kinda expectin a bit of a drubbin :O

still, always good to hope for the best :doh:

I'm surprised to hear a team like Roma are entering this early. I would have thought their co-efficient would have prevented that ?

Mibbe the 7-1 hammering United gave them set them back a few points? Think it's because precedence is giving to the teams who finish higher up the league and cup winners. But it all looks fiendishly difficult to fathom.

Eight goals against any team in Europe will command us some respect from their coach and players. We are an unknown entity to them and I expect them to be quite cautious initially. An attacking line-up may get us an away goal. (I think they'll score home and away).

If we choose a defensive team and sit back and allow their midfield to play 30 yards from our goal, I think they'll murder us.

Old or new Steaua, I expect them to be better than the present OF and at least as strong and technically gifted as Nancy.

Eight goals against any team in Europe will command us some respect from their coach and players. We are an unknown entity to them and I expect them to be quite cautious initially. An attacking line-up may get us an away goal. (I think they'll score home and away).

If we choose a defensive team and sit back and allow their midfield to play 30 yards from our goal, I think they'll murder us.

Old or new Steaua, I expect them to be better than the present OF and at least as strong and technically gifted as Nancy.

Couldn't agree more!

Just saw on the 'fishal site that tickets for the game in Romania are TWO QUID each. That is pretty amazing. Makes the £489 quoted for the charter look even worse right enough.

I was at the Tirana versus Stabaek game the night before Vlore and it was 300 Leke which I calculated to be £1.96 at the time. I've just checked on www.xe.com and it looks like the rate has shifted a bit as it is almost exactly £2.00. :wallbash:

SD

You think Nancy are better than the OF ?

:cheers: