Visitors Notes For Saints Vs Motherwell Programme

Radford

I come in search of information, guys. I do the visitors notes for the St Johnstone programme and rather than just publish the player profiles that (certainly at First Division level) appear in most programmes, like to go into a bit more depth, so am looking for an indication of what Jim Gannon is likely to do next week.

I've posted the following on Pie & Bovril but with little (no) response so thought it worth giving it a shot over here.

Can any Motherwell fans tell me how your likely to line up? The score centre on Sky Sports had you down as playing a back three on Thursday night, is that right and has Gannon used that system before? From what I can gather, Ruddy will get the nod in goal and Reynolds and Craigan will be in central defence, whether it's a two or a three. Who is likely to be on the right of the defence and is Hamell or Hutchinson likely to get the nod on the left?

Will the three new boys all likely start in midfielder, or is Coke the only one guaranteed his place? Is Forbes a central midfielder and where does Slane play?

Murphy and Sutton up front, barring any new arrivals? Who are your other striking options?

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks.

As an aside, really looking forward to the match which should hopefully be an open affair and played in front of a big crowd... well, big by Saints' standards.

The reason we're no telling ye is no because we'reawkward bastards btw but because Gannon has played every game differently and I think its likely there will be changes again. I would think Reynolds will play a defensive midfield role. Craigan and Hutchison as th two centre halves. Ruddy in goal is a stick on. Sutton will be up top. But how he sets the rest up both personnel and positional wise is anybody's guess.

The reason we're no telling ye is no because we'reawkward bastards btw but because Gannon has played every game differently....

Jim Gannon phoned me last night and told me exactly how he's going to line up in Perth, what his formation and tactics will be, the full sha-bang.

But ah'm still no' tellin' ye, cos ah'm an awkward bastard.

Indeed! Gannon seems to be the kind of manager that plays the specific opposition of that day, rather than having a standard setup. We could have an educated guess as to the basic structure of it, but the team we put out at the weekend will be designed to try and take points from St. Johnstone away, and could likely be fairly different to that which is put out to try and take points from Killie at home the following week.

Your stick-on's will be fairly accurate though, Ruddy in goals, Craigan and Reynolds will both play (although where Reynolds plays will depend on where Gannon thinks he will be most effective on the day). Sutton will be up front, more than likely with Coke and Forbes somewhere behind him, and Slane out wide. Anyone else could be anywhere, again depending on what the boss feels is the best setup for St. Johnstone.

Hi Radford.

The worst thing you can do is predict a formation - 4-4-2, 3-5-2. The reason being, it is likely to change throughout the match. Jim Gannon likes flexibility and creativity.

Also, don't assume players' positions. Jim O'Brien - winger has played right back twice now. Reynolds will definitely start, but he could be centre back, left back or centre midfield.

Of the new signings, Coke is the only certainty to start. From our youngsters, you should see Forbes. Slane is grabbing lots of plaudits but he is still only 17 and shouldn't start every game. But with his pace and confidence, I suspect he will start in Perth.

I like the fact you are trying to write a bit more than the obvious. If you do want to inform the Saints faithful then I suggest you advise them to expect the unexpected. O and the away end will be full.

2 good young managers up against each other on Saturday.

Cheers

Cheers for the feedback and even saying you can't predict what Gannon will do is a help. I'll be sure to note it all down for Derek McInnes the article.

If I could put you all out a bit more though and ask how you'd regard the following players. Nothing too specific required (and I take on board the point about players like O'Brien being moved about), only if they are naturally defenders, midfielders or forwards.

Players in question are Archdeacon (striker?), McHugh (striker?) and Page?

I'd assume two of the lads listed in your Europa League squad, McPake and Meechan, are unlikely to be involved?

Cheers for the feedback and even saying you can't predict what Gannon will do is a help. I'll be sure to note it all down for Derek McInnes the article.

If I could put you all out a bit more though and ask how you'd regard the following players. Nothing too specific required (and I take on board the point about players like O'Brien being moved about), only if they are naturally defenders, midfielders or forwards.

Players in question are Archdeacon (striker?), McHugh (striker?) and Page?

I'd assume two of the lads listed in your Europa League squad, McPake and Meechan, are unlikely to be involved?

Archdeacon's injured so you won't see him on Saturday Radford. Archie is a forward and only made his debut against Llanelli in the 2nd leg of the 1st qualifier so not much to go on in terms of the first team. Linked well with Jamie Murphy in the youths and was on loan at Albion Rovers for a spell last season, though the Rovers fans according to their forum weren't overly enthused about him.

Bob McHugh is quite an exciting prospect. He's not huge physically but looks a powerful wee guy and within minutes of making his debut at 16 had put Hibs skipper Rob Jones on his backside and almost scored. He got his first senior goal against Flamurtari and will I think get more opportunities as the season goes on.

Jonathan Page was signed from Portsmouth a couple of seasons ago and like the other two boys mentioned graduated through the youth set up. Has played three times as a substitute at right back but I believe (some of the guys who follow the youths more closely may correct me) he's more accustomed to playing in central defence.

Hope that helps.