Opening Day Memories

decorator

Nothing worse than being shot down on first day, losing 5-2 away to Pars. sore one :whistling:

Aye, and seeing Dundee rip us apart about half a decade ago at FP. Javier Artero scoring after running from the half way line. A team of quality with Sara, Caballero etc.

The 4-4 was sensational, the quality on show may not have been great. But, the atmosphere was exceptionally good. Mainly due to the fact it was the first league game for either side after "Skippy Sunday" and ironically played each other. Not to mention it was only a few days after Celtic's collapse against Artmedia, 5-0. So, there was a good atmosphere and the fact that McManus made a few crunching challenges in the first few mins, there was an edge to the game right away. Who incidentally could easily have been sent off after about 10mins.

Can't beat the optimism and everything else that goes with opening day. Always an extra buzz about the stadium.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I can't remember us being at home on the first day of the season to often down the years.

The one I remember most was 2-2 against Celtic in the early-to-mid ninties, if my memory is correct Alex Burns scored both of them on his first team debut. We thought we had a superstar on our hands! I remember it because I traveled up from London on a National Express bus to go to the game and went back down on the Sunday. Wouldn't be doing that these days I have to say!

The other one I remember was a major let down, getting gupped off Dundee. Caballero and Sara ripped us a new arsehole and it wasn't a pleasant walk home!

Maybe I'm wrong here but I can't remember us being at home on the first day of the season to often down the years.

The one I remember most was 2-2 against Celtic in the early-to-mid ninties, if my memory is correct Alex Burns scored both of them on his first team debut. We thought we had a superstar on our hands! I remember it because I traveled up from London on a National Express bus to go to the game and went back down on the Sunday. Wouldn't be doing that these days I have to say!

The other one I remember was a major let down, getting gupped off Dundee. Caballero and Sara ripped us a new arsehole and it wasn't a pleasant walk home!

You have a point there! We have been away on the opening day the last 3 years. It may be more but I can't remember where we were in Malpish's season or Butcher's last. It's the drink sorry :thumbup:

My first ever game!!

Celtic had just bought a numptie fae Arsenal Martin Hayes(?) who had to be taken off at 1\2 time as Boyd was running rings roon him.

The Shimmy King put us 1-0 up and I think wee Dougie got the second, not a bad way to open a season.

The Well back in the premier league v the h**s , think we were 2-0 down and came back to get a draw. Maybe 1982?

Mind it well, first game of 82-83 season I am sure and was the first time I was allowed to go to Fir Park masel for an old firm game.

Rangers had their new signing Robert Prytz (who him?) put them 1-0 up early doors with a dodgy penalty. We came back from 2-0 down , did big Joe Carson not score that day then get sent off?

Mind it well, first game of 82-83 season I am sure and was the first time I was allowed to go to Fir Park masel for an old firm game.

Rangers had their new signing Robert Prytz (who him?) put them 1-0 up early doors with a dodgy penalty. We came back from 2-0 down , did big Joe Carson not score that day then get sent off?

Carson and Brucie Cleland scored our goals. We did get someone sent off, cant mind if it was Carson tho'.

Carson and Brucie Cleland scored our goals. We did get someone sent off, cant mind if it was Carson tho'.

It was our opening game of the season, having romped the 1st Div the season before. Davie Hay, (our 1st RC manager), decided his future lay in USA and we ended up with Ian Paisley, sorry Jock Wallace :doh: He emerged from the tunnell and saluted the Bun hordes :nod: .............. was great to come back from 0-2 down though and secure a draw tho in front of over 20,000 invading Buns :D

Give Wallace some credit, he did at least keep us up that season. :D

Only kidding, he ruined a great attacking team and couldn't wait to get back to Ibrox.

Remember his last game was a league cup tie at Morton.

Wallace Wallace get to f**k was belted out a few times! :doh:

The Well back in the premier league v the h**s , think we were 2-0 down and came back to get a draw. Maybe 1982?

Missed the first 30 minutes as me and a mate were in the Flemington Arms getting pished :huh: never saw the h**s goals and came home convinced that we had won 2-0. Those were the days :doh:

In 1985 I made sure that I was at the first home game to see the 1st Div leaue flag unfurled can't remember who we played though think I was pished again :doh:

Missed the first 30 minutes as me and a mate were in the Flemington Arms getting pished :huh: never saw the h**s goals and came home convinced that we had won 2-0. Those were the days :doh:

In 1985 I made sure that I was at the first home game to see the 1st Div leaue flag unfurled can't remember who we played though think I was pished again :doh:

Clydebank at home 0-0.

Gary Mac and Mauchlin transferred to Leicester after game. :(

Having been relegated from the old First Division in 1968 we bounced right back at the first time of asking. Our opening game was against Kilmarnock. We won 1-0 courtesy of a Dixie Deans goal. It was a brilliant sunny day. The highlights were on BBC that night. What better way to start a season. We had a great first season back - reached the semi-final of the League Cup and finished only 6 points off 4th spot. :)

Killie got their own back when they beat us in the Cup that season 1-0 at Fir Park, I think it was Ross Mathie that scored for them. I never missed a home game that season, my mother was always wary of allowing me to go to football on my own but as I had just started secondary school in Motherwell and was travelling there every day anyway she couldn't really say no. So that was the season when I really became a hardcore fan. At that particular game I was behind the goals where the Cooper Stand is now and I remember Tommy McLean breaking through, the whistle went, but he fired off a shot anyway and Big Peter just stretched his right arm up and caught it with one hand. You were right about the weather, it was absolutely boiling that day.

Killie got their own back when they beat us in the Cup that season 1-0 at Fir Park, I think it was Ross Mathie that scored for them. I never missed a home game that season, my mother was always wary of allowing me to go to football on my own but as I had just started secondary school in Motherwell and was travelling there every day anyway she couldn't really say no. So that was the season when I really became a hardcore fan. At that particular game I was behind the goals where the Cooper Stand is now and I remember Tommy McLean breaking through, the whistle went, but he fired off a shot anyway and Big Peter just stretched his right arm up and caught it with one hand. You were right about the weather, it was absolutely boiling that day.

My first game at the 'Arc was the St Johnstone game in the3rd round that year,I was in the main stand as my cousin/uncle were a bit "posh" (Saints fans) cant really remember much about the game,the next round against Caley 3/4-0 not sure of the score, can remember the game got a "rosette" in claret and amber with the cup on it.

Remember the Killie game as the crowd was a lot bigger and getting pushed around.Remember my dad telling me later (After the St mirren game 1977) there was loads of trouble at the Killie game in 1970.

Remember the Killie game as the crowd was a lot bigger and getting pushed around.Remember my dad telling me later (After the St mirren game 1977) there was loads of trouble at the Killie game in 1970.

Read somewhere that Killie cup game in 1970 was held up for a while due to trouble/pitch invasion.

My first game at the 'Arc was the St Johnstone game in the3rd round that year,I was in the main stand as my cousin/uncle were a bit "posh" (Saints fans) cant really remember much about the game,the next round against Caley 3/4-0 not sure of the score, can remember the game got a "rosette" in claret and amber with the cup on it.

If I remember correctly we were sitting pretty round about Christmas time that season and we fell away badly towards the end of the season. The League Cup semi-final defeat to St Johnstone was particularly sore because we'd put 4 past them at Fir Park a few weeks earlier.

I remember the Dunfermline game at East End too, getting stuck in roadworks at Edinburgh and getting there close to if not just after kick-off but in good time to see a comfortable 2-0 with a cheeky wee back heeler from Tommy Coyne.

That's my favourite opening day memory, traffic was a nightmare but that wee cheeky goal more than made up for it!! Think that's my favourite well goal as well.

Tommy Coyne eh? don't make them like him any more