Motherwell Last/nearly Last Minute Winners Or Goals

Finlay

Recently I have been thinking about games won at the death. Even goals scored at the very end of a match even if they don't make a difference to the result. Last year Inverness scored a penalty against us at Fir Park in the last minute, although they went down 3-2. Kilmarnock, Hearts, and St Mirren all got late goals against us away from home in the league and cup which saw us lose on each occasion.

Fom memory Sutton (Hibs away), McLean (Killie home), Clarkson (Hibs away), and Malcolm (Inverness away) all scored last season between 78-82 minutes to either get a draw or win the match.

When was the last time Motherwell scored ANY goal (in a competitive match) between 85 - 90 minutes played?

I'm racking my brains (haven't yet checked the net/programs etc) but I'm thinking season 2007-2008 when Davie Clarkson scored a 90th minute winner against Kilmarnock in a 1-0 win at Fir Park. This was the game McCormack put a first half penalty past the post.

Can anyone remember any more recent late, late, goals for the 'Well?

I'm half creating this post in an attepmt to emulate a previous one. Can't remember who it was but someone created a 'Motherwell hatrick' thread a couple of days before the game against Flamurtari in Airdrie. Genius.

Here is to Forbes unleashing a 25 yard screamer in the 89th minute to sink Killie on Saturday!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm racking my brains (haven't yet checked the net/programs etc) but I'm thinking season 2007-2008 when Davie Clarkson scored a 90th minute winner against Kilmarnock in a 1-0 draw at Fir Park.

A 1-0 Draw :lol:

Anyway I remember coming from behind to beat Inverness 2-1 the same season I know Uncle Phil scored but don't know if it was the winner. And Pat Nevin's as well i can remember that. I know this isn't a winner but we were 1-0 down to Aberdeen and we got a last minute penalty at the DC end and to everyones amazement Shaun Teale stepped up and he slotted it away perfectly.

I was there for McBride's. Believe that was December 31st 2005.....I think?

Your right Frazzle they are plenty without a doubt. Scores of them in fact.

However in the last TWO YEARS or so we have HARDLY scored a goal between 85-90 mins. To my memory anyway. That must be fairly unusual.

Darren Smith against Celtic in Malpas' season as manager and Clarkson against Killie is all I can recall off the top of my head. Both were last minute. Two last minute goals in three years..................???

Celtic obviously have a reputation for the last minute goal/winner. Wonder what would make a team like Celtic over perform in this way and for us to under perform?

Apart from them being jammy bast...................

A 1-0 Draw :lol:

Anyway I remember coming from behind to beat Inverness 2-1 the same season I know Uncle Phil scored but don't know if it was the winner. And Pat Nevin's as well i can remember that. I know this isn't a winner but we were 1-0 down to Aberdeen and we got a last minute penalty at the DC end and to everyones amazement Shaun Teale stepped up and he slotted it away perfectly.

:lol: oops :lol:

Now fixed. Might need to edit your quote ;)

EDIT - Didn't include Skippy Sunday as it was, sadly, quite a wee while ago now and was thinking recent seasons e.g. Gannon, McGhee, and Malpas. Three and a tiny wee bit!!!

Kaiser scored a well-deserved one at Fir Park once, think it was against Hearts.

Also, Kevin McBride at Almondvale on hogmanay one year got the party started early.

That's the first two that spring to mind but there's millions more.

Was against St Johnstone, scored 2 in the last 10 minutes after being 1-0 down. That doesnt happen often either right enough.

A late Martyn Corrigan strike against St.Johnstone to keep us in the hunt for Europe in 2000. Sort of half volley across the 'keeper if I remember.

Ian Ross from a Tommy Coyne cross against the dims at Fir Park. Doubly sweet as they equalised past Jamie Dolan shortly before.

Not a winner but a John Spencer goal at a rainy Easter Road was nice. 2-2 it finished.

McGarry scored a late goal to sink Partick Thistle in the Legaue Cup a few seasons back. Saved our blushes after being 2-0 up. On reflection,it was a sign of things to come under Malpas.

The latest goal I have found in the last two seasons was another that didn't really matter. 2007/08 season we played Gretna away at Fir Park won 3-1. McCormack practically in injury time. The latest goal I can find which actually mattered (the goal that won us the match that is) is against Kilmarnock as you mentioned.

EDIT So so far I have:

2007/08

Gretna - Won 3-1 - McCormack 90th

Kilmarnock - Won 1-0 Clarkson 90th

ICT - Won 3-0 - Smith

ICT - Won 2-1 - O'Donnell 85th & McCormack 90th (pen)

2008/09

Accies - Won 3-1 - Sutton 85th

Doers Fitzy's winner in injury time of ET at Easter Road in LC Semi count?

Again was only going over the last three seasons mate. Good work Wellfan! Certainly a couple of last minute goals there I had forgotten about. Last minute winners though? Quite surprising how rare they have become as of late.

MUST be due one!

Again was only going over the last three seasons mate. Good work Wellfan! Certainly a couple of last minute goals there I had forgotten about. Last minute winners though? Quite surprising how rare they have become as of late.

MUST be due one!

I bet if you you look at against us, then it will be a lot worse, especially if you take in Terry Butcher's reign. Sure we were awful for that during his last season in charge.

Maybe we'll get extra lucky and see three goals (or more :blush: ) in the last 10 minutes for us on Saturday.

Kilmarnock - Won 1-0 Clarkson 90th

One of my most favouritist goals ever... If only to see big Farmer Rid Face nearly exploding in the Killie dug-out. :blush: Actually enjoyed that more than a 6 or 7 nil pumping of them. Would settle for any one of those results on Sat!

One of my most favouritist goals ever... If only to see big Farmer Rid Face nearly exploding in the Killie dug-out. :blush: Actually enjoyed that more than a 6 or 7 nil pumping of them. Would settle for any one of those results on Sat!

Surely it was Combe's face and reaction with thumping the ground and whinging like a baby that made it worthwhile. It was fucking sweet too. Not a great header either :D

Season 2005-2006 I think Wellfan. The season that started off with a 4-4 draw at Celtic. Last minute goal for Celtic. We then beat Dunfermline 1-0 at Fir Park. Last minute Jim Hamilton goal. 4-1 defeat at Rugby Park and then one of the most frustrating games I have ever been to.....Motherwell 4 Dun Utd 5.

After that I'm sure we conceeded a ton between 85-90 mins played. A horrible season for that. A last minute Paul Hartley penalty in front of the away fans sticks in my mind. That game with Hearts finished 2-2 and I'm sure we were 2-0 up with less than ten minutes left.

Was chatting to my dad on road up to Perth on Saturday, about a superbly taken injury time equaliser against St Mirren at Love Street in the late 80s to make it 2 all. We can remember Davie Cooper and Johnny Gahagan being involved with one as the crossing the ball and the other taking it on their chest before lashing it home but my memory is hazy as to who done what. Can anyone remember?