Bored At Work And Found This.....

sieb_dystras_barmy_army

Alrighty,

Im bored at work, having a swatch through some of the old Well tops (Lovin the old 'Lumy Yella...QUALITY!)

Found this though...and have to say I have never been aware of it before. Is it for real, or just a cheeky Gers fan on the wind up?

http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/...hirt-s3961.html

That was a mock up of a possible away strip I believe, like the one we wore on Skippy Sunday. Edit: I see that is explained in the wee blurb underneath.

Seem to remember only one or two were ever made and they were prizes at a WTFC race night one year. So aye, it is genuine.

The one the opposite of that (blue with a white sash) is framed and up on the wall in the kitchen of one of the FPC players houses. Doesn't look that bad, but certainly isn't my cup of tea. Would be more in favour of going back to the traditional colours for an away strip in the centenary year of claret and amber, as long as it was the proper ones (ie, petrol blue and gold) rather than royal blue and white that Xara mocked up.

It was a mock by Xara at the time...

The club sold it on ebay a few years ago as I recall - think we got a few hundred quid for it too...

Certainly different... :doh:

Aye indeed. I seem to recall being in a wee bidding war until my bottle crashed due to the price. Deep regret. Tidy wee investment for sure!

The one the opposite of that (blue with a white sash) is framed and up on the wall in the kitchen of one of the FPC players houses. Doesn't look that bad, but certainly isn't my cup of tea. Would be more in favour of going back to the traditional colours for an away strip in the centenary year of claret and amber, as long as it was the proper ones (ie, petrol blue and gold) rather than royal blue and white that Xara mocked up.

Didn't we have Blue and White, then black and gold stripes, then back to blue?

Didn't we have Blue and White, then black and gold stripes, then back to blue?

I dunno - you're much older than me... :lol:

I could, of course, be wrong, but I always thought that both Glencairn and wee Alpha played in "petrol blue" and white (I'm not even sure what petrol blue is, but I assume it to be a darker shade) and the first proper Motherwell strip kept the petrol blue, but added gold detail to symbolise the imalgamtion. Could be miles out though!

I do think we played in a more royal blue after that, but I don't think they were the original colours.

For what it's worth, I thought the royal blue and white mock-ups looked decent - the only reason I wouldn't be too keen would be from a marketting point of view. Being the same colour as the h**s, I reckon that could stop a lot of folk from buying it.

I dunno - you're much older than me... ;)

I could, of course, be wrong, but I always thought that both Glencairn and wee Alpha played in "petrol blue" and white (I'm not even sure what petrol blue is, but I assume it to be a darker shade) and the first proper Motherwell strip kept the petrol blue, but added gold detail to symbolise the imalgamtion. Could be miles out though!

I do think we played in a more royal blue after that, but I don't think they were the original colours.

For what it's worth, I thought the royal blue and white mock-ups looked decent - the only reason I wouldn't be too keen would be from a marketting point of view. Being the same colour as the h**s, I reckon that could stop a lot of folk from buying it.

Which is why it was suggested we have Claret & Amber trim on any Centenary Special issue, easily sorted.

Just to be sure I checked that historical kits page again, since my memory ain't what it used to be :lol: Always blue and white but the gold and black stripes were teamed with navy shorts. Mind you Big Keith might remember better seeing as he was involved in the changeover I believe. :D

I always think of petrol blue as a blue-grey, but some images look a bit turquoise

A pertrol blue with C&A detailing, either hoop or sash, with a badge with gold detail, could look the business. Ideally with no sponsor stuff. Cheapens it to a billboard.

I always think of petrol blue as a blue-grey, but some images look a bit turquoise

A pertrol blue with C&A detailing, either hoop or sash, with a badge with gold detail, could look the business. Ideally with no sponsor stuff. Cheapens it to a billboard.

Although probably a bad idea to produce a strip in a particular colour on my say-so as nobody else seems to know what I'm on about!

This leads me to suspect I may have made this up... :wacko::lol:

This much linked to historical kits site shows a mock up of all our home kits, dunno how accurate they got their shades of blue right mind you.

Most of the early stuff came from football historian Alick Milne and has been sourced from club minutes, SFA registered colours and newspapers from the time. I have a copy of this sent to me from Alick. If i find it i will post it up. The petrol blue shade came about from an early cigarette card but due to the printing process these colours were never accurate. In truth our blue was probably some bog standard blue.

Which causes me to diverge a wee bit. See when people say animals only see in black and white - how on earth can they know that?

Folk always say dogs see in black and white but what they mean is that they are colour blind. They can't distinguish between red and green (I think) .. or maybe its red and blue? Anyway....

(Dunno about any other animals though.)

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jul99...25572.Gb.r.html

Animals are not color blind!! The colors that animals see depends on the

species of the animal.

The retinas (the photosensitive tissue in the eye) of vertebrates (animals

with backbones) have two general types of photoreceptors in their eyes.

The cones function in high light intensities (during the day) and detect

colors. The rods function in low light (at night) and do not detect color.

Animals that are nocturnal and have very high sensitivity vision (like cats

and owls) have mostly rod photoreceptors in their retinas. So these animals

can see very well at night, but they do not see color.

Other animals, like chickens, lizards, rabbits,monkeys etc., have

cone-dominated retinas and see color very well.

Most vertebrates have two types of cones in their eyes, short-wavelength

cones that detect colors in the blue-purple range, and long-wavelengh cones

that detect colors in the red range. By mixing the to various degrees the

activation of the short- and long-wavelength cones, animals can see most

colors of the spectrum. If short-wavelength colors are more important for

the animal's survival, one might expect the short-wavelength cones to

dominate in that animal's eyes.

Old World Monkeys and humans have three types of cones in their eyes, the

short and long-wavelength cones mentioned above, and a new invention, which

are the medium-wavelength cones. This third cone types detects best colors

in the green range.

Excerp from Alick Milne's strip history archive...

SFA registered colours:

Alpha / Glencairn

1885/86 (as 'Alpha') – Navy blue jersey and hose, and white knickers

- Glencairn's [the other team in the merger] colours are not known - they were not SFA members

Motherwell

1886/87 – Blue and white perpendicular striped jersey, blue knickers

Diiscription of the last few seasons 'blue' was used as our main colour.

1909/10, 1911/12, 1912/13: ('Saturday Post' 26/03/1910, Motherwell history, 'Dundee Advertiser 16/09/1912):

- Light blue shirt, button collar, no turnover

- White shorts

- Navy socks, two white hoops

the term "light blue" was often used in Scotland to describe what I would call "mid-blue" to distinguish it from navy blue, which was the most popular colour in Scotland.

Excerp from Alick Milne's strip history archive...

SFA registered colours:

Alpha / Glencairn

1885/86 (as 'Alpha') – Navy blue jersey and hose, and white knickers

- Glencairn's [the other team in the merger] colours are not known - they were not SFA members

Motherwell

1886/87 – Blue and white perpendicular striped jersey, blue knickers

Diiscription of the last few seasons 'blue' was used as our main colour.

1909/10, 1911/12, 1912/13: ('Saturday Post' 26/03/1910, Motherwell history, 'Dundee Advertiser 16/09/1912):

- Light blue shirt, button collar, no turnover

- White shorts

- Navy socks, two white hoops

the term "light blue" was often used in Scotland to describe what I would call "mid-blue" to distinguish it from navy blue, which was the most popular colour in Scotland.

Knickers? Were all footballers trannies at that time? :cheers: