Penalty

postiejim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first reaction during the game was that it was not a penalty and this view was shared by all around me. However, watching the game back on the Sky+ I believe it was a penalty - Bougherra clearly catches Jutkiewicz's ankles and makes no contact with the ball.

Another good shout by Dougie McDonald after the McGeady sending off - and well done on the red card too. Credit where it is due !

Great save by McGregor though - even if he did come off his line too early. Chin up Jim - you had a great game yesterday.

My first reaction during the game was that it was not a penalty and this view was shared by all around me. However, watching the game back on the Sky+ I believe it was a penalty - Bougherra clearly catches Jutkiewicz's ankles and makes no contact with the ball.

Another good shout by Dougie McDonald after the McGeady sending off - and well done on the red card too. Credit where it is due !

Great save by McGregor though - even if he did come off his line too early. Chin up Jim - you had a great game yesterday.

Likewise, I had a good view and thought it was never a pen. Indeed, I was a tad embarrased by the 'dive'.

Having spoke to a few folk that watched it on the telly though, they have said it was a pen.

Fair play to Dougie MacDonald.

I think your spot on that's what i thought aswell, not that it matters now anyway but upon closer inspection as much as what you are saying is accurate i think he had already tripped HIMSELF up before bougherra did and was going to go down whatever.

Not that it matters at all anyway,the decision was made and that's that - i don't think many rangers fans will be to incenced by the decision. It wasn't a complete stonewaller but it wasn't the softest penalty ever given either .

I'd agree with what's just been said - at the game it looked soft but watching it back big Boaghie canny really complain - he caught Jutkiewicz that's the be all n end all.

BBC sportsound were having a really pathetic ding dong about it though. Young, Paterson and Murder McLoed saying it was no penalty and in fact going some way to saying big Buggerer's reaction was justified and the red card was harsh / controversial.

Away and fling shite at yerself the lot of yeez!

I wish I had a fiver for every 'soft' nalty we've lost vs the OF in the final minutes.

Fair play to Dodds though - Said it was a clear pen.

I'd agree with what's just been said - at the game it looked soft but watching it back big Boaghie canny really complain - he caught Jutkiewicz that's the be all n end all.

BBC sportsound were having a really pathetic ding dong about it though. Young, Paterson and Murder McLoed saying it was no penalty and in fact going some way to saying big Buggerer's reaction was justified and the red card was harsh / controversial.

Away and fling shite at yerself the lot of yeez!

I wish I had a fiver for every 'soft' nalty we've lost vs the OF in the final minutes.

Fair play to Dodds though - Said it was a clear pen.

Even Jim Traynor said it was a penalty. :notworthy:

I thought it was a penalty but I was extremely shocked to see it given considering there was only a few minutes left and still 0-0. The Rangers sympathisers in the media can fuck off. How many times have we seen them get penalties for literally hee haw in the dying minutes?

Thought it was a really really poor penalty. Not even nearly close enough to the post and a perfect height for a keeper to get a hand to. I don't blame O'Brien one iota but his chance to take penalties is now over I hope.

Am I the only one who thinks McGregor comes off his line before Jim hits the ball?

Surely it should have been a retake.

I'd agree. He was at least a couple of yards off his line and clearing gaining an advantage. Should've been a retake i feel, but we were never going to get that considering McDonald actually had a funny moment in giving us one in the first place.

Edit - I also agree with the comments of our own assist and Wattie Smith....

Smith said: "He's good at saving penalties, he's a good reaction saver. It doesn't underline anything. I've explained my decision before for playing him. He is a good goalkeeper and it was a terrific save."

Motherwell assistant manager Peter Ward was also unsure whether the controversial penalty should have been given.

He said: "Whether it was a penalty or not, I don't know. I was sitting down in the dug-out and it was hard to see the incident from there.

"We'll have a look at it tonight on TV and see if it was a penalty. But it was an opportunity to win the game and unfortunately the goalkeeper made a brilliant save.

"Ross Forbes is our penalty taker and unfortunately we made a decision to take him off so the responsibility fell to Jim.

"He was brave enough to step up and it wasn't a bad penalty - just a brilliant save."

I just watched the incident again on the BBC site. Firstly, it was a stone wall penalty. The ball was away from Jutkiewicz and Bougherra went right through him, caught him and brought him down. Simples. Secondly, when Bougherra jumps over Jutkiewicz does he seem to stamp on him a bit with his right foot when coming back down again...? Anyone else notice that?