Pod Stand

Kmcalpin

It wasn't pleasant having to sit RIGHT next to the Rangers hordes yesterday. A few season ticket holders had to move to accommodate them, although thats never never been publicised.

90 minutes of sheer bile. We had renditions of Derrys Walls, and the Sash but neither the police nor stewards seemed interested in taking any action. I can also categorically state that it wasn't one or two fans chanting these outdated ditties either - several hundred in the POD Stand. There were also Rangers fans sitting amongst season ticket holders although the ones I saw behaved themselves.

Giving the Cooper Stand back to our has come at a cost.

It wasn't pleasant having to sit RIGHT next to the Rangers hordes yesterday. A few season ticket holders had to move to accommodate them, although thats never never been publicised.

90 minutes of sheer bile. We had renditions of Derrys Walls, and the Sash but neither the police nor stewards seemed interested in taking any action. I can also categorically state that it wasn't one or two fans chanting these outdated ditties either - several hundred in the POD Stand. There were also Rangers fans sitting amongst season ticket holders although the ones I saw behaved themselves.

Giving the Cooper Stand back to our has come at a cost.

Pardon my ignorance, tin hat on for good measure, but, I'm aware of no offence being commited by singing either.

I was in the POD yesterday also and was appalled to hear their chant about hating the Tartan Army. I expect some of them were actually part of the Tartan Army when we played Macedonia and Holland so why they sing songs against their own country is beyond me. At least it made a pleasant change before they went back to their usual sectarian outbursts!!

Pardon my ignorance, tin hat on for good measure, but, I'm aware of no offence being commited by singing either.

No offence is being commited in the sense that they have not been categorically told that they cannot sing those songs as those are not the ones that are deemed to be 'offensive and sectarian' by the authorities. The only song they have actually been banned out and out from singing is the one which contains the lyrics 'Up to our knees in f****n blood'. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that both of the songs mentioned above have absolutely no place in a football ground in the 21st century.

I was in the POD yesterday also and was appalled to hear their chant about hating the Tartan Army. I expect some of them were actually part of the Tartan Army when we played Macedonia and Holland so why they sing songs against their own country is beyond me. At least it made a pleasant change before they went back to their usual sectarian outbursts!!

I don't think we can gripe too much about that particular issue given Kenny Miller and David Weir were being singled out for stick on the back of their efforts for Scotland in the last week.

And I'm sure if pressed the folk singing anti-Tartan Army stuff would likely suggest they are British as it states in the their passports rather than Scottish blah de blah etc.

No offence is being commited in the sense that they have not been categorically told that they cannot sing those songs as those are not the ones that are deemed to be 'offensive and sectarian' by the authorities. The only song they have actually been banned out and out from singing is the one which contains the lyrics 'Up to our knees in f****n blood'. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that both of the songs mentioned above have absolutely no place in a football ground in the 21st century.

Woah! There. My question is answered with your opening sentence.

Is there a banned list? Have the Shettleston Harriers any entries on it?

Don't find any of the songs mentioned offensive. I tend to laugh at and not with the Rangers support. You'll find with closer inspection that for all they chant there isn't many presbyterian within.

Your closing statement points to the fabled One Scotland, many cultures agenda trotted out by McConnell and Co. Many cultures that is, except that of protestant.

I don't think as a support we have a leg to stand on given some of our various chants over the last few seasons. Its why I am so disappointed when we start out own brand of bile because it brings us down to their level.

If a large minority of our fans think that the Aberdeen singing a few weeks back was fine then they have no reason to complain when the Old Firm come to town. It's a shame because I would like to think that we cld take the moral high ground.

Woah! There. My question is answered with your opening sentence.

Is there a banned list? Have the Shettleston Harriers any entries on it?

Don't find any of the songs mentioned offensive. I tend to laugh at and not with the Rangers support. You'll find with closer inspection that for all they chant there isn't many presbyterian within.

Your closing statement points to the fabled One Scotland, many cultures agenda trotted out by McConnell and Co. Many cultures that is, except that of protestant.

I don't think there's a banned list, there's just one particular song containing specific lyrics that they have been banned from singing.

The rest of them, I don't actually find particularly offensive either. I'm like you, I tend to laugh at Rangers fans more than anything else when they start their nonsense because I think it's absolutely cringeworthy to have grown men singing about the Queen and Battles from centuries ago that many of them know very little about as you tend to find when you challenge them. And why sing them at a FOOTBALL MATCH? What possible connection is there between the 'Battle of the Boyne' and 'Ulster's Cause' and an SPL match between Motherwell and Rangers in September of 2009? If you ask the average Rangers fan that very question, in my experience, they cannot provide a reasonable answer to it.

As for 'The Shettleston Harriers', which by I assume you mean Celtic, I don't think they have been banned from singing anything, but they don't tend to sing songs that are as blatantly sectarian as that particular ditty that Rangers fans were banned from singing, so they are not as easy a 'target' as Rangers fans were.

Been said already but after the singing directed at McGhee two weeks a go we have no room to criticise or ask for sanctions against any other supporters. People who live in glass houses and all that.....

Aye, i agree that we don't have a leg to stand on with our 'holier than thou' act. But what I would say is why is there absolutely no mention in any of the Sunday papers of the h**s, singing about f*****s that was clearly audible given the numbers who were singing, while only a fortnight ago the same papers had labelled a couple of hundred 'well fans 'sectarian' for singing (or not as was the actual case) about f*****s.

The double standards are incredible, or is it being swept under the carpet for a specific reason.