Local Rivals

Special aka

While on the topic of local derbys, who would you say our local rivals are ?

Is it Accies ? Is it Clydebank ? Does it depend on who we have as a league game ? Or is a cup-tie more important ?

Depends if we talk local derby or rivals I suppose. Geographically it is Accies, although during the 70's for me it was Airdrie, as we were generally in the same league and had several cup-tie encounters. Then in the 80's it became Hearts, as I began working in Edinburgh and we shared many a crucial game/nasty encounter. However, for much of the last 20years our local league rivals have been the Tims.

So, if you are down in London on a course, (or whatever), and several football supporting guys go to the pub for a beer and to bond. You are asked the question. So being a Motherwell fan, who are your big rivals ?

For me, the game I get most up for is the visit of Hearts. :doh: Gary Mackay, John Robertson, Craig Levein, Jim Jeffries, Willie Gibson, Walter Kidd, Wayne Foster, Dave Bowman, John Colquhoun, Scott Crabbe, Henry Smith, Rab Prentice, Ian Baird, etc., etc., BASTAS the lot of them :P

Growing up in Hamilton, it's always been Accies for me. I have a lot of mates who are Accies fans so there was always a great build-up to the derby games. Even when we weren't in the same league there was still plenty of banter.

I know zero Airdrie fans, so there was never the same build-up to those games. We have never been in the same league as Airdire Utd., so even if I still thought of them as a 'real' Airdrie team (which I don't) there hasn't been a chance to build a rivalry.

Surely Motherwell v Hearts can't be a local rivalry ......

Geographically Lanarkshire/Lothians is where West meets East, and many county border towns and villages such as Whitburn, Armadale, Forth, Shotts, Harthill, Bathgate, etc., have fans of both Motherwell and Hearts.

And lets not forget I lived and worked for 20years in the capital. 20days thru there would have been long enough to detest the Jambos. While games in the 70's saw some of the worst terrace and street violence in the town when the Gorgie hordes came visiting.

Showing my age, but growing up in Hamilton there was never any doubt that they were our derby team regardless of the league. We always had the Lanarkshire Cup so we played them, Airdrie, and Rovers every year.

Having said that there was always a good crowd when we played Hearts. Both teams played very good entertaining football and the games were always tight.

Can never imagine anybody but Accies. My crowd had it good because the fixtures had the teams always opposite so it was Douglas Park one week and Fir Park the next.

Fir park crowds were always 14/15k except for Hearts 16/17, and 30K plus when the hooligans came in from Glasgow.

Great times, but must admit the pace of the game then would not stand up today, and oh yes we lads had a great time standing amoung the away supporters and having good natured banter with them.

Geographically Lanarkshire/Lothians is where West meets East, and many county border towns and villages such as Whitburn, Armadale, Forth, Shotts, Harthill, Bathgate, etc., have fans of both Motherwell and Hearts.

And lets not forget I lived and worked for 20years in the capital. 20days thru there would have been long enough to detest the Jambos. While games in the 70's saw some of the worst terrace and street violence in the town when the Gorgie hordes came visiting.

Oh buddy, I sympathise .......... :( , my signature tells the story had to live with them for 60 bloody years :(:doh: stil being a 'Well fan makes it worthwhile :cheers::D

Since I'm here, 'Well v Accies is a derby (and I love it when we beat the fuckers) but 'Well v Airdrie is the derby in my eyes. 'Well v Accies seems to be a big deal to Accies but I've a bigger grudge against the other lot. The team aren't Airdrieonians but it's the same fans.

That said, when the talk of least favourite team crops up then it's a no-brainer. Forget the Lanarkshire also-rans, the big days on my footballing calendar are the Jambo games. I cannae stick they c***s.