Jamie Murphy

one_luc_nijholt

Great. I do like him and he certainly has got the talent, but I think personally thinks he needs to make the next step club wise soon.

I'd say its a wee bit early to say he's close to the make or break stage with Motherwell but I do sense a growing feeling of frustration amongst some 'Well fans that Jamie's progress has not been as fast as some have expected.

Having been around the first team for 2 or 3 seasons now I think some feel he should be closer to cementing a place in the first team and scoring more.

I agree to an extent that by now I might have expected to have seen a wee bit more from Murph in terms of goals scored but its still early days. He's not that long turned twenty so he's hardly at his peak, around two thirds of his appearances thus far have come as a sub and he's often played out wide rather than a central striker.

I'm fairly confident that with the right backing and support and a bit of patience he'll become the striker we hope we can be.

If I do have any question marks over him its what appears at times to be a lack of self-belief. He's scored routinely at pretty much every level he's played but there are times you see him out there and you think he looks totally at ease at first team level and there are other times when he seems nervous and timid and you would just love to give him a shot of confidence.

I think it'll come though.

totally agree with andy p.

i find it difficult to understand why people are so impatient with murphy. he has been on the verges of the first team for a few years but he hasn't really had a sustained run in the team or had much of a chance in his natural position. he's got excellent technique and a nose for goal, given time and encouragement he'll be a very good player for us. i just hope we don't have to go through all the shite we had with quinn and clarkson, some people must have felt very stupid when we recieved over a million pounds for the pair of them. if we're going to be a club that focusses on youth we'll have to be willing to show patience.

i find it difficult to understand why people are so impatient with murphy. he has been on the verges of the first team for a few years but he hasn't really had a sustained run in the team or had much of a chance in his natural position. he's got excellent technique and a nose for goal, given time and encouragement he'll be a very good player for us. i just hope we don't have to go through all the shite we had with quinn and clarkson, some people must have felt very stupid when we recieved over a million pounds for the pair of them. if we're going to be a club that focusses on youth we'll have to be willing to show patience.

I agree with this! I have been too hard on him but its just because I have really high (probably too high) expectations of the boy. I hope I am made to eat my words and am made an arse of. Come one Jamie make me look like an idiot.

Forbes on bench + didnt even get on? 7 goals so far,played every game for a good team n not a shout of a start? shocking! but then no real surprise as his club jersey isnt blue or green+white hoops

that's not really fair as john fleck didn't get on either. forbes had kevin mcdonald (loads of u21 caps and club experience) and mcginn (4 goals for st mirren this season) ahead of him and would have been further down the pecking order if arfield and coutts had been fit.

i'm not really sure if today was the day for forbes anyway. for the last 25 minutes scotland played with 4 out and out attackers (maguire, bannan, murphy and goodwillie) and went from back to front very quickly. mcdonald and mcginn weren't great but mcginn protected the defence well at the end and mcdonald was one of the few scotland players who could mix it with the bigger belorussians.

Forbes on bench + didnt even get on? 7 goals so far,played every game for a good team n not a shout of a start? shocking! but then no real surprise as his club jersey isnt blue or green+white hoops

Said it before but I think Forbes needed a rest so I'm pretty satisfied that he didn't come on from Motherwell's point of view and the experience of being there will have done him the world of good and perhaps given him the hunger to show he can do a bit more and get into the 11.

On the Murphy debate. I think McGhee and Gannon have not been playing him aggressively enough which is why he continually delivers the goods for Stark at Scotland level. I think to be fair to McGhee and moreso Gannon he doesn't really fit into the formation they want to play and I don't think he is good enough we should change the formation just to fit him in.

that's not really fair as john fleck didn't get on either. forbes had kevin mcdonald (loads of u21 caps and club experience) and mcginn (4 goals for st mirren this season) ahead of him and would have been further down the pecking order if arfield and coutts had been fit.

i'm not really sure if today was the day for forbes anyway. for the last 25 minutes scotland played with 4 out and out attackers (maguire, bannan, murphy and goodwillie) and went from back to front very quickly. mcdonald and mcginn weren't great but mcginn protected the defence well at the end and mcdonald was one of the few scotland players who could mix it with the bigger belorussians.

fair enough and maybe not the best game for him,however i believe he should have had a run, maybe even before Bannan who is a 5`4 left midfielder,not a striker. Bannan is established and maybe it was right for him to play instead but i think Forbes who is 6`0,high on confidence and has a wand of a left foot for free kicks + corners would have been more than useful.

fair enough and maybe not the best game for him,however i believe he should have had a run, maybe even before Bannan who is a 5`4 left midfielder,not a striker. Bannan is established and maybe it was right for him to play instead but i think Forbes who is 6`0,high on confidence and has a wand of a left foot for free kicks + corners would have been more than useful.

bannan was one of the better performers, he's a proper winger who wants to run with the ball all the time it's just a shame he's so wee. he started the move that led to the goal as well.

billy stark was at fir park last saturday, maybe he was unimpresses by forbes who was poor in the first half and anyonomous in the second?

didnt realize Bannan was a winger, Aye,maybe Forbes wasnt so impressive last week but on his form so far I just feel he should have had a run at some point,still the rest wont have harmed him anyway.

And back on topic, Well done Jamie!

Had it been a friendly would have agreed 100% with you. However it was a day for winning the game and we did that eventually so you have to say well done to Billy Stark.

Why is this difficult to understand. All he has acc to your post and he still cant get a regular game... So something must be slightly wrong. I am not saying he should be a superstar already, all I am hoping for is that sometime this season he will transform into a player that is getting a regular game, so he can gain more experience and further develop. Sitting on the bench and coming on for 10 mins doesnt help this boy at all.

It just feels like he is around for ages and paired with all the praises he gets everywhere for years, I would think he should push a bit more and make his next step.

Thats nothing against Murphy and as I said I think he can be a very good player, but he needs to deliver sooner rather than later. Maybe worth thinking of giving him away for a loan deal to let this boy play more games, if JG things he needs more time.

It's the price you pay for playing at a club like ours. You get brought in at an earlier stage in your career when you are a teenager and if you aren't a regular by the time you are 20, people are branding you a failure :woop:

Take a look at the Scotland U21 team today and see how many are regular first-team starters in the league.

Thats nothing against Murphy and as I said I think he can be a very good player, but he needs to deliver sooner rather than later.

it doesn't have to be sooner though. clarkson had a great start for 18 months for us then had three years where he struggled but eventually he came good and we got a lot out of him on the park and 800 grand. jamie hasn't had a proper run in his prefered position but he's got good technique and he's shown in the u21 matches that he can score goals. give him time to develop physically and figure out his own game and we'll have a player on our hands.