Hutch Article In The Sun

numpty

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/s...2/Hutch-go.html

SHAUN HUTCHINSON was just 16 when he left home to chase his dream.

His hopes bundled into a suitcase, his family and friends left behind.

He'd never even heard of Motherwell, but the Geordie kid was willing to gamble it all in a bid to become a professional footballer.

Two years on and his bold decision has paid off.

This season, the Fir Park teenager has emerged as a key player in Jim Gannon's exciting young side.

And he reckons he couldn't have done it without the support of mum Lesley and dad Bill.

His Newcastle-daft folks have given up their Toon season tickets and travel north every weekend to watch their son in action for Well.

Hutchinson, who aims to dump Hearts today, said: "I left home, my family and friends when I was 16.

"When it comes to football I'll do anything to give myself a chance and it seems to have paid off now.

"This is a great place to be because you can develop your skills in a good environment and all the lads get on well together.

"I had a Newcastle season ticket and so did the rest of my family, but they have all become Motherwell fans now. My parents have always watched me playing.

"We're a big football family and my mum, dad, brothers and my sister love watching me every weekend.

"They were a bit upset with me leaving home so early. But at the same time, they understood I was willing to do that to succeed.

"It's just over two hours' drive for them to get to Fir Park so that's not too bad."

Hutch, 18, who penned a new Fir Park deal last month, is back pushing for a top-team return after an ankle injury.

The defender came on as a sub in last week's 3-3 draw at St Mirren and is in line for a start against thee Jambos.

He added: "Getting injured when I was having such a good time was so frustrating, but it feels great to be back playing again.

"In football, one minute you're on top of the world and everything's going for you and the next you are back at the bottom again and you've got to work your way back up.

"Being offered a new contract was brilliant, but the ankle injury has slowed me down a bit.

"But I couldn't have wished for a better start to the season - if you'd offered me this a year ago I'd have snapped your hand off.

"It's a great feeling to be in the first-team dressing room and to be part of the side.

"I signed my contract because I thought there was a great future at Motherwell.

"Jim Gannon has great expectations for the players.

"He came in and gave us an opportunity straight away and that gave us the confidence we needed to know we'd be moving to the next level.

"He's shown faith in young players so we want to repay him.

"We're desperate to prove he made the right decision in picking us."

Well aim to bounce back after St Mirren sent them crashing out of the Co-op Cup. But Hutchinson knows they will find the going tough against a Hearts team still on a high following their own cup heroics against Celtic.

Hutch said: "Everyone was gutted about losing in the cup, but we've got to get that out of our heads and concentrate on Saturday.

"We want to win to keep ourselves up there in the league.

"A 3-0 defeat knocks your confidence a bit and it was made worse by the fact that Celtic went out of the competition the following night.

"There's now a great opportunity for other teams to win it.

"Hearts will be on a high after winning at Parkhead, while we're on a low - but the gaffer works hard at making us well organised and hard to beat."

Hutchinson has revealed he would consider playing for Scotland if the call came in three years.

He added: "I don't want to think too far ahead because I've only really made the breakthrough this season.

"But if I keep working hard who knows what could happen with Scotland, we'll wait and see."

Stevie Hammell is expected to miss out again for Well and long-term crock Paul Slane is still out.

Young Forbes may be banging in all the goals but most Well fans I talk with agree Sean Hutchison is the best of the home grown talent. I think he's a bit like John Terry - energetic and comfortable on the ball. If he carries on the way he is going, then the Premiership beckons.

For now, it's great having you kid.

Young Forbes may be banging in all the goals but most Well fans I talk with agree Sean Hutchison is the best of the home grown talent. I think he's a bit like John Terry - energetic and comfortable on the ball. If he carries on the way he is going, then the Premiership beckons.

For now, it's great having you kid.

Agree 100% with you here.

This boy is real talent.

My man of the match yesterday and we've missed him when he's been out, surely Crags time is up with him and Saunders coasting against the Jambos yesterday. He sounds as if he is a level-headed boy as well, but am I missing something with the Scotland 'possibility'?

I just took it as a typical "Sun" question. With the recent change in the rules (which doesn't affect Hutch I know) they seem to be trying to dig up anyone and everyone with any possibility of a Scotland cap. I wouldn't pay any attention to that one if I were you.

Don't know anything about his grandparents but maybe we should simply respect and accept the reality Sean is a born and bread Geordie and probably holds ambitions to play for his own country of birth.

Exactly, it's the type of situation I know I personally would be extremely annoyed about if the tables were turned.