Fir Park To Host Cis Semi

deJaya

good to see fir park chosen as a venue for the diddy-cup semi final between hearts and st mirren.

although .. since rangers are a glasgow team it would seem more sensible [and fair] to play their match with StJ at fir park and have the other game at hampden.

i suppose they need to allow for the tens of thousands of fans rangers will bring to such an occasion though :D

For those intrested the CIS semi has been chosen to take place at Fir Park

Both Gus Mcpherson and Csaba Laslo have welcomed the desicion

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo also welcomed the choice of venue.

"It is a nice stadium and is not that far for the supporters to travel," he told the Edinburgh club's website.

taken from hearts website

Nice words from the man about the stadium

It's the worst stadium in the SPL by a mile. Sure, it's got character but its still a dump ^_^

New Douglas Park and the Falkirk Stadium easily worse than our coup. Both have serious, serious design flaws.................they are facing the pitch. :doh:

It's a great wee stadium!

Anyway - even if the thick Hearts fan doesn't know the playing surface has been relaid. The thick Scotsman journalist should. Both obviously have memory loss about the state of the Hampden and Easter road pitches last year too.

Hearts fans angry as semi goes to Fir Park

Published Date: 11 November 2009

By STUART BATHGATE

HEARTS fans were disappointed yesterday to learn their club's Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-final against St Mirren will be played at Fir Park. The choice of Motherwell's ground appears to be a partial victory for the St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson, who said after the draw that playing the game at Easter Road would be "completely ridiculous".

MacPherson said, from a player's point of view, Hampden would be preferable, but the main objective of his remarks appeared to be to ensure the tie, on Tuesday, 2 February, would not be played in Edinburgh. For some Hearts fans, however, Easter Road is preferable to Fir Park not only because it is nearer Tynecastle, but because of its greater capacity – 17,500 compared to 13,700 – and superior facilities.

"I'd prefer it to be Easter Road, or failing that Hampden," Hearts fan Peter Edgeler said. "The game's in February, and the Fir Park pitch was a disgrace at that time of year last season. I know Easter Road would not suit St Mirren's supporters, but it would be all right for us. Hampden would be the compromise – I'd rather watch the tie at a half-empty Hampden than at Fir Park."

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo, however, is convinced the relative proximity of Motherwell to Edinburgh and the hope of seeing their side get to a cup final would ensure a large number of Hearts supporters make the journey to Fir Park. "There is a place in the final at stake and that should see a good crowd turn up to Fir Park on the night," he said on the club website.

The other semi-final between St Johnstone and Rangers will take place the following night at Hampden.

I know St. Mirren were complaining that Easter Road was going to be better for Hearts fans and give their fans a bit of a trek on a midweek night. We all had the same argument when we played there but in the end we didn't care!

Although St. Mirren would have preferred Hampden it did cross my mind that Fir Park would have been pretty neutral travel distance wise however I did wonder if it would be big enough.

It seems like common sense has prevailed (assuming our pitch bears up) although it obviously wasn't an option for our semi a few years ago when the only other alternative would have been Livingston which would have definitely been too small.