Boxing Day Match Thread

Malky79

Im not one to usually boo off the team no matter what the score, but today was just pathetic. We done well the first half and managed to take the lead, and then came out the second half and looked completely uninterested about winning the game! These next 5 SPL games are important and we need to take as many points out of them as poosible but it is looking less and less likely that we are goin to get much.

Im not one of these fans who is panicing saying we are getting into a relegation battle or that but we reli should be doin better than where we are. I partly blame Gannon for todays result as he changed the tactics which was completely unneccesary when we were winning. We were very capable of winning todays game with the team we had out and the way we started so I dont get why he tried to change it.

Also, I am worried about the way that when we when lose a goal, we look completely lost about what to do and can't push forward to get back in the lead. As i said before, I totally support the team and Jim Gannon (tho suppose its not sounding lyk it thye now) but we reli need to do something to get back to our winning ways.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an unspeakably poor second half today, as another poster said its the fourth successive half time lead we've blown after the interval. Why is that? Too much tinkering by Gannon? Very possibly? Tiring players? Maybe. Whatever it is we need to arrest this slump pronto.

We did take a while to get going, but we finished the first half strongly and our lead should've been greater. After the break? Car crash viewing for us Well fans. True we are missing Hutchinson, Coke and Forbes with injury but we had enough available to perfomr far better that we did today.

The huge disappointment for me was how meekly we surrendered under St Johnstone's pressure. They got it forward quickly and linked well from midfield to front, but as a team we were too easily brushed aside.

We don't have many options to change it for Wednesday, but I feel that young Saunders could do with a rest as his confidence looks shot right now. He's been superb but is suffering just now. I wouldn't tinker too much and I hope Gannon resists that urge. The next few days will show what he and the team are made of.

Once again in a long long history of zero success in winning crunch games we lose yet another must win game.

That was so utterly fucking abysmal it's dificult to know where to begin. I can forgive thowing away a lead against Aberdeen, I forgive throwing away a lead against Dundee Utd, I can forgive getting pumped of the Old Firm in consecutive weeks but that result and more worrying still performance today was absolutely disgusting.

It's another relegation battle for us again this season people. My finger has been hovering above the panic buttom for weeks now and after a performance of ineptitude with no postives to take from it whatsoever that would make even Malpas cringe....I've pressed it.

As far as I'm concerned we're now a rudderless ship heading into the shit abyss and I'm fast losing any patience with Gannon, who incidently sat on his arse for th last 30 minutes of the game.

aye.

have you listened to his interview? it's not exactly full of positive thoughts to take forward and improve the team.

obviously al b will point out it's 713 days too early but gannon doesn't seem too optimisitc about us getting a result on wednesday.

Mind games you heard of them? The last manager we got rod of this early was Kampmann! Is Gannon really that bad ?

Once again in a long long history of zero success in winning crunch games we lose yet another must win game.

That was so utterly fucking abysmal it's dificult to know where to begin. I can forgive thowing away a lead against Aberdeen, I forgive throwing away a lead against Dundee Utd, I can forgive getting pumped of the Old Firm in consecutive weeks but that result and more worrying still performance today was absolutely disgusting.

It's another relegation battle for us again this season people. My finger has been hovering above the panic buttom for weeks now and after a performance of ineptitude with no postives to take from it whatsoever that would make even Malpas cringe....I've pressed it.

As far as I'm concerned we're now a rudderless ship heading into the shit abyss and I'm fast losing any patience with Gannon, who incidently sat on his arse for th last 30 minutes of the game.

I was thinking what to post but you have summed it up for me.

This guys tactics sustitutions and ranting at referees has pissed me off.

Last week was bad enough, the Smellic game we were rubbish, we have drawn against 10 men 3 times but today was the last straw.

What are his tactics? Why bring back Craigan and Lasley but drop Hammell?

Why start with O'brien with Humphrey on the bench?

Why Murphy on the bench?

Why change the team every week?

Too many questions Iknow but I look forward to any answers you guys have

Thought we played well in the first half and i felt like we deserved to go in at half time in front. Unfortunatly, once again we hit the self distruct button at the start of the second half. Hopefully we will kick out of this nasty habbit soon and get back on track.

Onwards and upwards.

Mon the 'well.

Something far worse than poor performances is lurking at the ark than poor performances i fear. We look devoid of confidence completly and a change in style suggests that problems are not simply because we are not managing to get results but that the players "dont care" as much as a confident side should, dressing room unrest me thinks.

Craigan "is" still a good player and less we forget the current internatonal centre half for his country, but he will never be that player for motherwell again, even if his playing career isnt over, it certainly is at motherwell, the way he has been treated is nothing short of abysmal.

We need new players bu the amount of duds currently in the sqaud cannot be in doubt. From a very reliable source i understand Fitzaptrick and DLS are offsky in January. McGarry, Matouakil, O'Brien and Craigan may aswell be gone. Mcgarry and Matouakil are imo not up to the task whilst Craigan is done at motherwell for the reasons above and O'Briens heart isnt in it. - Less i mention Fraser

The tactical element is somewhat baffling, I was very glad at the start of the season to see the patient football brand we produiced, yet recently we have resorted to long balls ignoring our strengths. We must go back to the lineup and tactics which done us well earlier. THE SQAUD IS AVALIABLE!.

If we look at our current situation the volume of wages which have been chopped off the list is astounding and offloading the players above we take it down to relative peanuts in footballing terms. We need to keep Ruddy and the duke or we will be in far worse trouble than current. Using the saved wages is essetial to rebuild the sqaud in January. We need to strengthen at right back attacking midefiled and up front, bringing in players who could fall into a settled starting line up, we as a sqaud are being given no chance of cohesion...I am worried of what lies ahead though if nothing else it will be interesting.

Was trying to decide whether to have the remainder of yesterday's bottle of Jura. You've made up my mind.

Bottom line is the team is devoid of creativity, passion, confidence and grit. A christmas fart would knock down our back four.

I'm very worried.

shocking performance theres no other words for it.the lack of fight in the team right now is a worry and we need to forget about fair play awards and how many few cards were picking up and develop a tougher side to our game.as for the booing at the end of the game totally justified imo when u have to pay to watch that shite

My thoughts here are initially........... we were absolutely rubbish today and I was significantly disgruntled leaving the ground, thinking ( out loud sometimes) what the hell has gone wrong. Then I got to thinking back on times when Hibs and Partick thistle were in the intertoto cup , their seasons got off to a flyer as ours did but they quickly burned out around the turn of the year. Is this the cause of our form dip? who knows but I hope we get it sorted hopefully at tynecastle :lol:

The boos were warrented - against Gannon.

Yet again, AGAIN, Gannon made unnecessary tactical alternations at half time. Why? Seriously WHY? This is happening almost every match that I go to and its absolutely infuriating.

So surprise surprise, having just come on to a game in the last 15 minutes of the first half, these COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY changes were made for who knows what reason and we were a shambles from then on. Within 15 minutes or so we'd gone from 1-0 up to 2-1 down and then Gannon changed the tactics back to that we were in the first place.

Jim Gannon needs to be told he's not a tactical genius - keep it simple, don't make completely unnecessary tactical and formation changes.

He's on the radio YET AGAIN blaming everyone except himself - it's the players fault apparently because they aren't good enough, well they were good enough in the first half until The Worlds Greatest Tactical Genius (HA!) changed it yet again for NO COMPREHENSIBLE REASON.

Sicked and pretty anger right now. The guy in charge needs to get a grip.

I totally agree. Gannon tinkers time and again at half time. It's like a different team comes out. Why has he changed a defence from Rentokill, Saunders, Reynolds and Hammell, which wasn't leaking goals to the kind of pish we saw today and against the h**s.

People go on about his style of play, however other teams have seen through this and know how to counteract his "tactics". Why do we suddenly throw Hutch in last week and upset the defence and then this week drop Hammell?

Also, Crags NEVER plays on the left side of centre half. He built his career on playing on the right, so why play him there? Sorry Gannon YOU have to hold your hands up and admit your mistakes.

We've been playing competitive football from the first week in July, had a mish mash of a preseason due to this and demand our players maintain their previous exceptional standard. The majority of our squad should be preparing for their highers never mind playing competitive SPL football. We're left in that position because we had to offload several star players during the summer. Alot of this free cash was eaten up by the good folks at Setanta going bust. We brought in a young manager, who from the beginning told us that it will take us a couple of seasons to develop our squad into challenging for a top 3 finish. We liked this because he had fresh ideas. We slaughter him because he doesnt play by the old Scottish managers PC rules. We enjoyed the ups and downs of European football in the space of a month leaving the rest of our season some what of a damp squib. We made a solid start and were impressed by League 2 players arriving from England and an Everton reserve who couldnt do it at Huddersfield. We're now shocked that these boys arent the Davie Cooper or James McFadden's of the future. Was there a reason they were at that level and do they need alot of time and development??? We're bamboozled why players like Ross Forbes have gone shite. The same Ross Forbes that was lighting up Dumbarton last season. We're wondering what the hell Gannon sees in Yassin. Some of us look at Paul Quinn's own goal at Cardiff today, and remember how pish he was. We question Gannon leaving out Craigan, lasley and other senior players. We see the rationale in days like today. We wonder where all our moneys gone for players and wages, then sit amongst each other, barely 4,000 of us. We talk about must win games...lose it...and still sit sixth in the table.

We are the Well!

We've been playing competitive football from the first week in July, had a mish mash of a preseason due to this and demand our players maintain their previous exceptional standard. The majority of our squad should be preparing for their highers never mind playing competitive SPL football. We're left in that position because we had to offload several star players during the summer. Alot of this free cash was eaten up by the good folks at Setanta going bust. We brought in a young manager, who from the beginning told us that it will take us a couple of seasons to develop our squad into challenging for a top 3 finish. We liked this because he had fresh ideas. We slaughter him because he doesnt play by the old Scottish managers PC rules. We enjoyed the ups and downs of European football in the space of a month leaving the rest of our season some what of a damp squib. We made a solid start and were impressed by League 2 players arriving from England and an Everton reserve who couldnt do it at Huddersfield. We're now shocked that these boys arent the Davie Cooper or James McFadden's of the future. Was there a reason they were at that level and do they need alot of time and development??? We're bamboozled why players like Ross Forbes have gone shite. The same Ross Forbes that was lighting up Dumbarton last season. We're wondering what the hell Gannon sees in Yassin. Some of us look at Paul Quinn's own goal at Cardiff today, and remember how pish he was. We question Gannon leaving out Craigan, lasley and other senior players. We see the rationale in days like today. We wonder where all our moneys gone for players and wages, then sit amongst each other, barely 4,000 of us. We talk about must win games...lose it...and still sit sixth in the table.

We are the Well!

:lol:

We are the Well!

Good for you mate, cracking post. Gave me the reality check that is was badly needing after watching that pish today.

You're points are all valid, but we are on a worrying slump at the moment, hopefully things will pick up as I would like JG to be at Fir Park for the long term and see his ideas come to fruition. As long as we stay up this season I will be happy.

Ever heard of paragraphs? - makes your rant/post much easier to read. :lol:

We are the Well!

Great Post.

We'll come good again - just like the teams who are currently collecting points will slump.

I cant believe we're actually seeing a debate elsewhere on whether Jim Gannon or Ian McCall would be better for the club.