Craig Brown For Manager

claretbandonambershirt

Craig Brown?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Hearts- 16 Ave (1.25 yr per manager) Hearts have had 13 managers in the last 6 years

Hibs- 12 Ave (1.7 yrs per manager). Alex Miller was there for 10 yrs (86-96)

Celtic- 11 Ave (1.8 yr per manager)

Dundee Utd- 11 (as above) Jim McLean did have 22 yrs in charge from 71-93.

MWell- 10 Ave (2yrs per manager) This includes Craig Brown

Aberdeen- 9 (2.2 yrs)

Falkirk-9

Ham Accies- 8 (Ave 2.5 yrs)

St Mirren-8 Gus MacPherson has been manager since 2003.

St Johnston- 8

Killie- 6 (Ave 3.3 yrs) Jeffries had 8 years.

Rangers- 6 Including PLG's short spell and Ian Durrant, suggesting this is not the hardest job in the SPL as some would have us believe.

If we include interim managers as you have done for Rangers and reduce it to ten years it looks like this: (this also includes teams who have been the spl in the last ten years - boyles era)

Livingston - 15 managers (0.66yrs)

Motherwell - 9 managers (1.11yrs)

Hearts - 9 managers (1.11yrs)

Partick - 6managers (1.66yrs)

ICT 6 managers (1.66yrs)

Dundee 6 managers (1.66yrs)

Dundee Utd - 6 managers (1.66yrs)

Hibs - 6 managers (1.66yrs)

Dunfermline 5 managers (2yrs)

Celtic - 5 managers (2yrs)

Rangers - 5 managers (2yrs)

St Johnstone 5 managers - (2yrs)

Aberdeen - 4 managers (2.5yrs)

Falkirk - 4 managers (2.5yrs)

Hamilton - 4 managers (2.5yrs)

Killie - 3 managers (3.33 yrs)

St Mirren - 3 managers (3.33yrs)

Remember when we used to laugh at Hearts?

This does indeed prove that two years is good however , almost every other team does better than us in holding managers for longer, and if we change management teams again before the end of the season our average drops to 1 manager per year. It also shows that over 50% of SPL teams can hold onto managers for two years or more.

Also as you haven't included in your stats three caretaker managers (Jim Griffin, John Philliben, Gordon Young, which is the criteria you applied to Rangers ala durrant) then your stats regarding us are wrong as we have had 13 guys take the first team for a competitive game. At least two of them vying for the job whilst in charge which makes our average over twenty years 1.5yrs per manager.

Lies, damn lies and statistics

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly sounds like somethin is going on. Boyle mentioned that he wanted to get the transfer window out of the way before he looks at the managerial position. However, surely that is the cart before the horse. As Broon has said the first thing agents ask him is if he will be at the club to the end of the season. Or beyond. Players could well be reluctant to sign for a manager when that very signing could be the man's last piece of official business. Reading between the lines (which is sadly all we can do at this point) and comparing ourselves to Killie, I can only imagine there is a stumbling block in the way of Brown getting the job on a more permanent basis.

I think the kind of players that get signed at this time of year are guys that don't have clubs or are not wanted at the club they are at, basically guys in the footballing wilderness.

Most of them will just be happy to get a games, a wage and a club.

I'd also be surprised if we bring in anyone on more than a 6 month contract unless we can find a 'golden oldie' with a year or two left in the legs.

So I don't really think your point will come into play at this stage; in the next transfer window when we do or main wheeling and dealing we will need managerial stability but right now I don't think it's going to be a big factor.

Heard a rumour today that the stumbling block is Archie Knox. Not that Boyle doesn't rate him, but there a couple of factors that make Boyle want someone else as Brown's number two. The wage that Knox is on for an assistant manager is a bit rich for Boyle's tastes. That and the fact that Boyle would rather have an assistant that Brown can groom to take over in a couple of years time.

Like I say, just a rumour. Funny how Brown makes a point of mentioning Knox in every interview though...

Heard a rumour today that the stumbling block is Archie Knox. Not that Boyle doesn't rate him, but there a couple of factors that make Boyle want someone else as Brown's number two. The wage that Knox is on for an assistant manager is a bit rich for Boyle's tastes. That and the fact that Boyle would rather have an assistant that Brown can groom to take over in a couple of years time.

I was kind of hoping that Brown would bring in someone a bit younger who could be a potential future manager.

Like I say, just a rumour. Funny how Brown makes a point of mentioning Knox in every interview though...

Actually something I hadn't considered. You can understand Brown wanting his own "team" so to speak but can equally see Motherwell's point of view. In saying that though "grooming" an Assistant to step up to the Manager's job never worked too well with Malpas or Leitch.