Only Time Will Tell...

decorator

But there's the problem, what manager is going to come to Motherwell and commit himself for at least a few years? Any young and up and coming boss or someone like McGhee who is remotely successful at a club like ours will be offski after one or possibly two seasons at the most.

I too have doubts over Craig Brown, given his age and the amount of time he was out of the game but at least with him he's unlikely to be touting himself for jobs elsewhere on such a regular basis. Also, his style of play may be boring, but this is the man who has lead Scotland to a European Championsip and a World Cup during his time as National manager, something that all of his successors have failed do to, so he must have done something right. Tommy McLean's Motherwell team was never known for it's blinding, champagne football either, but in the ten years of it, brought the club back into the top flight and a Scottish Cup win.

Sometimes you need to sacrifice 'good football' for success.

Depends on the definition of a few? I don't have anyone in mind but if a young manager came to us for more than 1 year and gave us a good team to watch then I would be quite happy. We will never see the likes of McLean again who stays for 10 years and build a team who eventually did play some of that champagne football. I can't see us appointing anyone in the next few weeks other than Paw and Erchie but at almost 70 I don't think they will be long term either. As for him getting us to World and Europeans he did leave us after failing to do so. However, football is a game of opinions and I accept that we won't all agree. What I will do though is support the 'Well no matter who is in charge but be prepared for me to moan if we get really boring :P

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose it is all speculation but there was certainly enough to suggest that there was player unrest from a very early stage.

I remember watching Laslay, McGarry and Hammell warming up at the corner flag in the early stages of the Flamutari game and they looked like three schoolboys talking behind the teachers back. I remember JOB making a couple of mistakes early doors at right back and the reaction from the three players was (at least looked) less than supportive.

Added to that there was mention (was it from Gannon himself?) that there was a player/players trying to undermine what he was doing at the club. Maybe Craigan, McGarry et al had the best interests of the club at heart but I would be more inclined to think that there may have been a little bit more self interest involved.

It's seems strange to me that a man who was almost naievely loyal to Stockport should only a short while later be so disloyal to Motherwell. I have no doubt that he wanted to go but there must have been exceptional circumstances that made him appear to give up so quickly. I am sure than Gannon is no angel and will not be blameless but I would guess that there will be some players at the club who have had some say in the failure of Gannon's time at the club.

Interestingly we hear an article from Saunders today talking positively about Gannon's time. It's seems like the players view of the man is somewhat dependant upon which side of the touchline they found themselves on, on a Saturday afternoon. No doubt the truth lies somewhere in the middle but I feel really dispondant that the Gannon experiment did not work as it was maybe the one chance we had to rise above the crowd.

I feel really dispondant that the Gannon experiment did not work as it was maybe the one chance we had to rise above the crowd.

While taking on board the rest of your post, this comment interests me as it's what a few people have suggested on this thread. I didn't see much evidence on the park that Gannon had the ability to rise above the crowd. I liked his ideas (liked the early ideal of the 4-2-3-1) but he seemed unable to implement them. Even after removing supposed "bad apples" from the team. It takes time, I know. But we seemed to be going backwards under Gannon following a very promising start...

While taking on board the rest of your post, this comment interests me as it's what a few people have suggested on this thread. I didn't see much evidence on the park that Gannon had the ability to rise above the crowd. I liked his ideas (liked the early ideal of the 4-2-3-1) but he seemed unable to implement them. Even after removing supposed "bad apples" from the team. It takes time, I know. But we seemed to be going backwards under Gannon following a very promising start...

You might be right and to be honest I did not enjoy what I was watching from October onwards however what struck me was that he had the balls to try something different. Hooking players after 15 mins, playing young boys in all areas of the park, insisting (at least at first) that the ball be played patiently from the back were all really positive signs and gave my Dad and I the enthusiasm to travel to Aberdeen in September, something we have not done for some time.

That it did not work is really disappointing and we could be getting the very opposite end of the spectrum with Craig Brown. Not that I'm expecting John Collins and Gary McAllister to start on Saturday but I would expect some very experienced if not entirely exciting players to be coming to the club if Brown stays. I really hope I am wrong and that Craig Brown can bring something that the average Scottish Football Manager can't but the fact that Murphy, Saunders and possibly Forbes have already dropped down the pecking order does not fill me with hope for the future.

Murphy, Saunders and possibly Forbes have already dropped down the pecking order does not fill me with hope for the future.

Murphy, I'll agree with you on. The only problem with Murphy is trying to find the right position to play him in.

Saunders has started one of two of the games where Brown picked the team and was apparently carrying a knock on Saturday.

Forbes also started one of the two games and I suspect the reason he didn't start on Monday was his lack of stamina and it was our second game in three days.

The guys who seem to have dropped out are Mouatouakil and Jennings. The first is no loss, and the second never featured heavily under Gannon. Hutchison and Slane are the other two players that you'd hope would play. And both have been injured.

I love to see young guys coming through into the first team as much as the next guy, but you do need experience as well. And as most people (not myself) seem to think our experienced players aren't good enough, it might be an idea if Brown signs some experience. But let's wait and see who he does sign/play before criticising him for it.

Bottom line for me is that if the young guys are good enough, they'll play. For me, Hutchison is the one to watch. If we can get him fit, he'll be vital to our team and we might not need to worry about Reynolds departure...

The guys who seem to have dropped out are Mouatouakil and Jennings.

I think you will find that Mouatouakil is back at Charlton so would be kinda tough for Paw Broon to pick.

He will pick who he thinks will be the best team. That may include the youngsters some of the time it may not. But unlike Gannon who seemed to discard some senior players - perhaps not entirely on merit or otherwise.

I think Jennings has done ok in the games he has played. I would love to see Hutchison get a run of games but something is not quite right. He is picking up too many niggling injuries for one so young. He starts one game and is then out for 5 or 6. I think he will be an excellent player - just hope he can get a run.

Murphy is an enigma - undoubted talent - but too lightweight and easily bossed around. Probably one of these players that is destined to be great 1 game and generally crap the next. Makes it hard under those circumstances for a Manager to choose him consistently in the 1st team.