Televised Matches And Dropping Attendances

Special aka

Off topic i know but when you read Kyle lafferty boasting about porsches and bentleys(his 15k a week is comparitive to my annual wage) you wonder if its worth paying more because the clubs cant seem to wait to squander any money they get

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I have is the notion that fans have some sort of duty to go to games and plough money into the club. This kind of blind loyalty is how clubs get away with charging £20 and up.

Fucking spot on Sir!!!

People can go out of blind loyalty all they want - but it hasn't taken me long to work out that £150 a month on football for petrol and tickets every week is INSANE money to be spending!!

I have said MANY times on here that the price just needs to come down a bit. EVERY other business in the LAND has reduced prices during the recession - has football? Hell they effectively RAISED prices due to not passing VAT cuts on.

Until football wakes up from it's coma while sitting in the pilots chair of a 747 heading for a big fuck off mountain I'm voting with my feet and going when I want to.

And I'm not going to go in the last week before payday of a 6 week month when it is on the telly in my living room for free!!

We don't. We will never be able to pull the crowds due to the size of Motherwell compared to Edinburgh / Aberdeen. And how many people in Motherwell do you know support Rangers or Celtic.

My expectation every season is to stay in the SPL and have a decent cup run. Anything else is a bonus :rolleyes:

The problem is with crowds of 3,000 even these modest aims will be difficult.

Fucking spot on Sir!!!

People can go out of blind loyalty all they want - but it hasn't taken me long to work out that £150 a month on football for petrol and tickets every week is INSANE money to be spending!!

I have said MANY times on here that the price just needs to come down a bit. EVERY other business in the LAND has reduced prices during the recession - has football? Hell they effectively RAISED prices due to not passing VAT cuts on.

Until football wakes up from it's coma while sitting in the pilots chair of a 747 heading for a big fuck off mountain I'm voting with my feet and going when I want to.

And I'm not going to go in the last week before payday of a 6 week month when it is on the telly in my living room for free!!

Don't say that in front of some people on this forum because they hate fans like you. How dare you spend YOUR hard earned cash on other things but football?

All the above are valid points. However, the other side of the coin is England where most Championship clubs can attract average crowds of 25,000. Despite the population factor, they must be doing something right.

IMO we should reconstruct the league to 16 teams making games less repetitive. Lower gate prices to say £10 or £15 and also lower season ticket prices and give discounts for away games. Give free tickets to schools for certain games and make extra revenue from catering etc. I know this has been tried before but could be worth trying again. For games live on TV prices should be reduced even further. As it is we will end up with games live on telly being watched by a few hundred people! Rant over :rolleyes:

For games live on TV prices should be reduced even further. As it is we will end up with games live on telly being watched by a few hundred people! Rant over :rolleyes:

That, or today could have actually been free admission for kids and a few quid for adults today! How many ACTUALLY paid £20 odd quid at the turnstyle - 200 St Mirren fans - maybe 100 'Well fans if you are lucky. Get the bodies in and make it look a bit fuller on the telly. Madness that this or a similar scheme wasn't rolled out today.

IMO we should reconstruct the league to 16 teams making games less repetitive. Lower gate prices to say £10 or £15 and also lower season ticket prices and give discounts for away games. Give free tickets to schools for certain games and make extra revenue from catering etc. I know this has been tried before but could be worth trying again.

The problem is, the club does reduce prices, but only for a game or so at a time.

We need to be prepared to put a deal in place where home fans get in for a reduced price, and keep it running for a decent amount of time to see what kind of results it brings.

I paid £18 to see the game today, and I was happy with the result, but there are many weeks that I simply can't afford to go.

Given the local population, the pull of the Mauldeez, the gate prices, the time of year, the recession and with the game live on TV, just under 4,000 wasn't too bad imho. It was similar to that which saw the top of the table encounter in Dumfries and almost 3,000 more than watched Airdrie.

However, getting back to the point ........ Living where I do, I'd be happy to pay £8(ish) to watch a Motherwell game live on TV. Now with every fan having that option every week, could it be a possibility that in the not too distant future football will be played in virtually empty arenas with all the audience watching on TV.

The only way to make it farer is to make every game on TV pay per view only and the cost should be only a few pounds cheaper than it would be to get into the stadium with 50% of the cost paid directly to the home team. so say we charge £20 for a ticket, tv match price would be say £16, £8 of that would go direct to the club.

Anyway, other than that, the match ticket prices are too high and need to be reduced accross the board. not just one or two clubs, but every member team of UEFA needs to agree and stick to a price.

Even Formula 1 who have been one of the biggest spenders in sport are now cutting costs and prices!

Wasn't at the game yesterday purely down to finances. The fact it was on tv was just a bonus.

If I can justify spending the cash I'll go to the game.

The product on the pitch, even though it leaves me exasperated at times (SPL in general), isnt really an issue with me in terms of going to games. I would rather watch Motherwell in a terrible game than watch Man U v Man City etc.

I do think that the pricing structure has to be looked at. Its better to half 10,000 paying £5 than 5000 paying a £10, would also give the team a lift.

I saw the attendance figure in the newspaper this morning and my first thought was how low it was. Was that solely due to the game being televised, and what's more more, can Motherwell survive on such attendances?

Well if we don't every team outside of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, and Aberdeen will go with us.

Who thinks the stadium would be full to the brim if everyone got in for free for the Falkirk game?

I don't. Maybe 8 thousand if were lucky.

This.

Football is ridiculously too expensive. The high ticket prices do put off a number of people, including me, from going to Fir Park.

However, that's only part of the problem. The product (the game being played and the environment in which it's played) is diabolically poor. Watching that first half, all I could think was how lucky I was that I hadn't paid money to be there - and I would've felt like that whether the ticket price was £2 or £25.

For £10, I can go to a cinema, sit in a comfy seat, and be entertained for a couple of hours.

For £20, I can sit in a stadium that's falling apart, freeze my tits off and sit through a turgid 45 minutes of 'football'.

I know that many people will say I'm not really a fan, and that if I feel like that then I should piss off and support the Old Firm. Fair enough. But I'm the type of fan that the club needs to be attracting on a more regular basis, because like it or not, another 4,000 hardcore loyal supporters are not suddenly going to appear any time soon.

IMO we should reconstruct the league to 16 teams making games less repetitive.

Interesting to see this opinion expressed. For those of us old enough to recall the 'original' reconstruction in 1975, one of the justifications was the elimination of 'meaningless' games. Fact is, more people were turning out to watch these 'meaningless' games in poorer amenities. However, you're going to have a hard time convincing clubs to vote for what's perceived as two larger paydays per season when they presently get three or four.

As to pricing, I did some analysis of this a few years ago. Factoring in general inflation and the improvement in amenities, I believe we're paying 2-3 times what we actually should be based on prices some 40 years ago. If anyone has a convincing argument otherwise, I welcome it.

I'll probably throw a longer response on this thread later on a couple of my ideas but just to pick up quickly on one thing. Free school/kids tickets need to be doled out and validated in advance so the police know the accurate numbers.

Example - If you hand out 10,000 free tickets, you need to police as if there was 10,000 extra fans coming along. Then you might only get 1,000 extra through the gate and you've lost money through police costs.

Its no as easy as you think to give away a freebie!

Interesting to see this opinion expressed. For those of us old enough to recall the 'original' reconstruction in 1975, one of the justifications was the elimination of 'meaningless' games. Fact is, more people were turning out to watch these 'meaningless' games in poorer amenities. However, you're going to have a hard time convincing clubs to vote for what's perceived as two larger paydays per season when they presently get three or four.

As to pricing, I did some analysis of this a few years ago. Factoring in general inflation and the improvement in amenities, I believe we're paying 2-3 times what we actually should be based on prices some 40 years ago. If anyone has a convincing argument otherwise, I welcome it.

Didnae take them long to vote for change when they realised the extra payday was on offer. As you say they ain't going to vote for the good of the game if that means loss of income. Shame cos we used to have a good 'product'

I actually feel sorry at times for those in charge now cos they're hands are a bit tied behind their backs on pricing. Wages are at such daft levels cos agents moved in when the telly cash appeared, admission prices went up year on year at a round pound rather than in line with inflation so we are now at a stage where I can't see how they can raise prices anymore. Wages need to come down but agents won't allow that to happen and someone somewhere will ignore any agreement to cap wages through self interest. Clubs are stuck in a Catch 22 situation if they indeed want to do the right thing by us fans, that's another debate though.

I saw the attendance figure in the newspaper this morning and my first thought was how low it was. Was that solely due to the game being televised, and what's more more, can Motherwell survive on such attendances?

You really are a patronising little shite aren't you.

FFS your not even a motherwell fan your a man ure fan now away back under your stone.