Ross Forbes

MelvinBragg

Forbes looked like a class act in the early part of the season. His eye for a pass and a strike at goal are rare assets in Scottish football these days.

While I'm disappointed at how his season has faded, I think we just need to be patient with him and we will see him regain his confidence.

With regards fitness, I'd like to think that will come with time as he physically develops. I remember when Gerrard was starting out at Liverpool, everyone could see he was a class act but there were major doubts over his stamina. Furthermore, it seems likely that he suffers from asthma. His body will adjust in time to deal with the demands of playing week in week out.

I have every confidence that Craig Brown will get the best out of him next season and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up building our team around him.

My memory any doubts over Gerrard were never to do with stamina, he was always able to put himself about, it was niggling injuries he kept picking up as a younger player, something that pretty much faded during his best years. If Forbes as a 21 year old is so far off the pace I have serious doubts that he'll ever get there. Maybe a change in approach to his training is required, would certainly like to see him come on as techincally gifted players are few and far between at our level.

Thing is he isn't so good on the ball that he can get away with being unfit as he appears to be. He looks like a passenger lately and if he not actively setting up or scoring goals every other game then he a man down nearly.

Fingers crossed for him that he bounces back.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a victim of his early success IMO, raised expectation a bit too much too early. Has already scored some excellent goals though.

Lovely left foot but wants a wee bit too long on the ball to set hiself up for the pass or shot at times for my liking. But he is still young, as others have said if he can bulk up a bit and improve his stamina he will be a fantastic player. Hpefully his confidence hasn't been damaged too much by not being played in recent games.

The development of Forbes, Hutchinson, Saunders et al in the Gannon era is something that pleased me. Now that Gannon has gone I am eqully pleased they are not playing as I felt they were being rushed a bit and the expectations were being raised too fast and there were clear questions developing over stamina. I think Forbes produced a very tired display at Falkirk and Brown is going to nurture him gently over a number of months and not rush him. I think his long term first team prospects at Motherwell are high.

I think his explosive start was a double-edged sword. I think as highlighted the technical side of his game is far better than the athletic side, but lets face it we'd be doing well if he kept his early season form up. Don't think he suits a 4-4-2 as well as he did a 4-5-1 but I definitely think he has the quality to bounce back if he works hard.

Did you see the pitch?

As you mentioned Forbes best attribute is he tries passes that no other player in the squad would see or attempt but you need to give him a decent surface to do it on.

I dunno about that logic. A good passer on a poor pitch or an average passer on a poor pitch? I know which I'd choose. You might be right though about seeing him more away from Fir Park though. Maybe more to do with other pitches being less energy sapping though...

Especially when we have Coke, Lasley etc who will give it there all to get back, get the ball etc.

When we have other players in the midfield who are better at tracking back and challenging for the ball, is it really necessary for him to do the same?

If the lad's playing, it's better to use him effectively, isn't it?

When we have other players in the midfield who are better at tracking back and challenging for the ball, is it really necessary for him to do the same?

If the lad's playing, it's better to use him effectively, isn't it?

Agreed. Though it's sometimes a luxury we don't have to have a player not fighting for possession.

In saying that, I still think he gives us something which we quite often lack, which is technique. His passing and shooting are far better than most of the team, and I've spent too many years watching players get into good scoring positions for Motherwell only to have an embarassingly poor finish to throw somebody on the scrap heap because they're not as fit as some others.

Yes, he maybe needs to work on putting a bit more endeavour into his game, but if you've got a team full of physical players with no skill or flair to unlock a defence, then we'll struggle.

I like Brown and Knox, and think they're doing well, but my major worry with Brown is that he will almost always pick experience over youth, and that could count against Forbes. I think he might play him because he's had some games for the first team, but he might still view him as being too inexperienced. I'm not sure Brown would even consider an untested youngster. I worry that someone like McFadden would probably never have got in one of his teams. I hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to tell until we see how he deals with youth players in future.

I like Brown and Knox, and think they're doing well, but my major worry with Brown is that he will almost always pick experience over youth, and that could count against Forbes. I think he might play him because he's had some games for the first team, but he might still view him as being too inexperienced. I'm not sure Brown would even consider an untested youngster.
That's also my concern about Brown which is why, although happy to see him here to the end of the season, I still need convincing he is the man to develop a squad for the future.

Of course, I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong.

Agreed. Though it's sometimes a luxury we don't have to have a player not fighting for possession.

It may just be me, but i'd rather have a player with a bit of talent in the team who can produce something special, even if his tracking back isn't great.

We have other players who are more than capable of covering that role.

I agree, He came on in that position against Rangers at Ibrox and played well.

Although, I think he needs to be in the centre.

I think he tries his best but has very slow overall pace. He makes great use of the ball. Often when tracking back he is filling another players postion, due to other players compensating for his lack of pace. Think he is one of the best team players we have.

Agree with that he has been put on the wing, with Lasley coming back into the centre mid, where his lack of pace is perhaps more evident. He is still young though so can develop better physical attributes. Brill passer so centre mid is his position for me but he has Coke and Lasley in there with Jennings and indeed Hately to compete with. He is still young though and hope we have him on a 5 year contract.

Future Scotland international if he keeps making progress no fear. would like to see a 4 -1 -3 2 with forbes coke and o'brien as the three and either hately or jennings as the defensive midfielder. Think it would give us good options

He also made runs from midfield all night into the box and scored the goal that should have won us the match.

Forbes is a young player with half a season of 3rd Division football and half a season in the SPL. There are aspects of his game he needs to work on and improve but what about accentuating the positive?

If the goal had been allowed to stand, which it should have, it would have been his 9th of the season. He gives us an attacking dimension from midfield that we've not had since Stevie Kirk.