Booze At The Fitba'

Haggischomper

Is it time to bring back booze?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SPL allow clubs to sell booze in the stands until 10 mins after half-time?

• Aye
    • Naw

How is it that a situation has come about where a few dicks (who can't handle their drink) can dictate the experience the majority of fans have at a game. Only in Scotland.
The problem is that it is a significant number rather than a few. It's manageable now, because the laws have limited it to a few.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If folk are going to get drunk they will get drunk no matter if they sell alcohol in the grounds or not. Give people the choice. You are not going to get blitzed and go mental by getting drunk on the alcohol you could purchase at the game. We're only in there for 2 hours or so. I personally would love to be able to get a pint in the ground to stop me having to sneak in my own :lol:

Police call the shots - simples

Any politician wanting to cover their behind would ask the chief constables of Scottish forces for input, we all know they would keep the status quo because you are essentially you are asking them "can we make your life and that of your officers that little bit harder so we can make a bit of extra revenue?".

In days gone by our predecessors destroyed any chance we ever had of having booze at games because of their behaviour. I lived in LA for 18 months and beer was freely available at most sporting events, the difference is its a cultural thing and ours is a history of binge and abuse.

With the East stand so close to the pitch, could anyone guarantee a plastic cup full of beer wouldn't have flown through the air when Papac was milking it last week and the bald guy was going radio rental? First time it would happen, SFA/press uproar and huge fine.

However maybe we could get a suspended fine if in the summer we installed Alcohol free beer taps at a cost of £250,000.

With the East stand so close to the pitch, could anyone guarantee a plastic cup full of beer wouldn't have flown through the air when Papac was milking it last week and the bald guy was going radio rental? First time it would happen, SFA/press uproar and huge fine.
That would surely be papac's fault though? No?

Todays fitba' crowds are of a different make-up to the old boozy days, not many wear flares apart fae Trucks for a start, and I realy don't think the demand is there for drink to be served inside grounds. I know I'm not fussed at all being honest, never touched a drop when available on our jaunts to England or abroad (apart fae the pre-season friendlies tae mad North of England non-league grounds which were just a boozefest anyway) Dortmund I stood and laughed at those getting pished on alcohol free, Nancy the same, Carlise I wanted to see the game rather than spend it under the stands, was there drink available at Llanelli? Didn't know, didn't care so in essence it's a pointless exercise far as I'm concerned I suppose.

Don't get me started about people who moan about the catering too - yes, its crap at FP at present.

However football traditionally takes place between 3-5pm, in-between the universally adopted "lunch time" and "dinner time". If you choose to pick a cold/e-coli/overpriced (delete as appropriate) product which takes you away from the action then hell mend you.

Beer at FP would be carnage. However if I wanted to wait 25 minutes for overpriced flat beer then I'd go to the Palace (only £8 entry).

Police call the shots - simples

Any politician wanting to cover their behind would ask the chief constables of Scottish forces for input, we all know they would keep the status quo because you are essentially you are asking them "can we make your life and that of your officers that little bit harder so we can make a bit of extra revenue?".

yeh, but why, then, do the same police and politicians allow it at rugby matches?

what would the difference be if a plastic cup full of coke had been flung at Papac?

I voted yes, on the basis that I like a pint or two. However, I reckon its probably a bad idea, particularly at Fir Park, where we just dont have the facilities to make it work properly. I was at the Derby-Preston game on tuesday night and spent half my time in the concourse watching the game on the TV because they were selling beer. The beer was decent and certainly cold enough and was reasonably priced at £3.25 a pint. There was no hint of trouble before during or after the game, except when I got a few funny looks for screaming abuse at Pearo.

I usually look on the 90minutes of action as a 'break' from the bevvy, so personally for me I reckon it would be better to keep it away from the game.

yeh, but why, then, do the same police and politicians allow it at rugby matches?

Because traditionally rugby fans haven't went on the rampage, just the players in golf buggies on the M4. There is a who socio-economic debate as well that Rugby is a middle class sport and football is working class. The behaviour of rugby fans tends to be better too as the same police allow them to sit together and insist on segregation at football matches. Last time I was at Murrayfield (Scotland v Italy a year ago, 10,000 free seats) I reckon I counted the same number of cops inside the stadium as at the Hamilton game at Fir Park last week.

what would the difference be if a plastic cup full of coke had been flung at Papac?

Because Coke doesn't tend to change your behaviour much other than give you a minor caffeine boost and its overuse isn't focused on by all media outlets regularly. I can't think of anyone admitted to Casualty due to consuming too much, any fights started due to its copious use and it impairing judgement or behaviour. I agree Coke could have been thrown last week, however I do feel there would be a bigger chance and a bigger backlash if alcohol was on sale and thrown. Plus a sober Coke drinker is less inclined to act on impulse, where as someone 6 sheets to the wind is.

Because Coke doesn't tend to change your behaviour much other than give you a minor caffeine boost and its overuse isn't focused on by all media outlets regularly. I can't think of anyone admitted to Casualty due to consuming too much, any fights started due to its copious use and it impairing judgement or behaviour. I agree Coke could have been thrown last week, however I do feel there would be a bigger chance and a bigger backlash if alcohol was on sale and thrown. Plus a sober Coke drinker is less inclined to act on impulse, where as someone 6 sheets to the wind is.

Im sure a zero tolerance policy would stamp out any c***y behaviour pretty fast,you visibly drunk/unsteady at the gates,you dont get in,you unsteady at the counter,no service, you make an arse of yourself, out you go. You go overboard or throw your cup, lifetime ban + appropriate police charges! Have that broadcast on the clubs websites/in stadium posters/tannoy announcements etc. The fans who would like a quiet cold beer during the game far outnumber the ones who just wana get mangled,and those guys would be brought in line quickly. Its pathetic that the majority are punished for the arsehole antics of the few.

At the end of the day, how many guys watch the footie live in the pub at the weekend, drinking? (Ive watched a fair few games in the pub with well fans + oppo fans mixed, or scotland games and it can be just as highly charged an atmosphere as being in the ground) and how many of those trash the bar or put their glass through the telly when an oppo player dives or the ref makes a c**t of it? none! and why? cause they know they get put out and barred/pubwatched and possibly arrested. Im not even saying Id def have a drink when I go to the footie, but I feel I deserve the right to make the choice!

Wallbash Wallbash.

If ye sold it out of view, all this pish about Papac is irrelevant. I think I might start another poll so folk can look at the REAL option.

A lot of very good reasons said why it canny happen in view of the game, but out of view? Remember in England, ye canny take it to your seat.

yup, I was at Twickenham for the Calcutta Cup last season, probably the best atmosphere I've experienced at a game in a long time ...................

Bit of a change there then. I'd been a regular from 1983, (even then drink was on sale inside the ground), until 1995, when I stopped going due to the racist hassle creeping into the event, (and Soho had gone all queer :lol: )

Train out to Richmond, and a few beers at The Cricketers before busing it to Twickers used to be a decent day .......... glad to hear it's a good trip again.

The rugger chappies know how to behave. Is it really not that obvious. Unless things have dramatically changed in Scotland - the 'prawn' sanny brigade get no special treatment from the real fans - both have to get their fill of alcohol pre and post game (never during, not even at half-time). The only difference is in the location - at the stadium or at the Pub.

No thanks from me.

Dunno about that mate. The last time my mate got us prawn mucnhing tickets for a Scotland game through his work were we drinking lager at Half Time at Hampden. Funnily enough they didn't let you drink out the bottle - some guy opened the bottle you wanted and poured it into a cup!

Another thing that gets on my tits is Football Clubs' mis-interpretation of the smoking ban. NO reason why you shouldn't be allowed a puff down the steps of the east which is OUTSIDE.

Honestly - discrimination from legal activities - if the majority of us weren't white and British there would be a national enquiry. :lol:

Another thing that gets on my tits is Football Clubs' mis-interpretation of the smoking ban. NO reason why you shouldn't be allowed a puff down the steps of the east which is OUTSIDE.

They're not obliged to let you smoke there just because they legally could. Far easier to operate a blanket ban than have pernickety punters moaning about exactly where the mid-air boundary between the smoking and no smoking areas might lie.

Too many people getting drunk would just promote all the worst views of football: -

• Violence
  • Abuse (Sectarian or Homophobic or Just Vile Chants)
  • Piss streaming down from upper stands
  • Missiles thrown

All of these things happen without alcohol being sold at matches?

It would be a difficult thing to organise but I see no reason why not.

I voted no, as I don't see the need for yet another place where people can have a drink.

Plenty other things in the game that need changed to actually benefit, so id be disappointed if there was a focus put on something that doesn't matter at all.

I agree with that and I don't smoke but misinterpretation of the rules seem t be standard now. If in doubt ban it seems to be the view of some in authority.

Put a wee bit more thought into this there, and I genuinely believe that if this were to happen then it just provides the powers that be with an opportunity to claim that "we listened to what the fans wanted and made the changes", giving further opportunity to distance themselves from the REAL changes that should be made within the game, and overlooking what the fans would REALLY want.

I can just hear it now, when football continues to go down the tubes for reasons we are all aware of, then anytime the governing bodies are getting any heat for not making changes they will just trot out with something like:

"no-one can say that we dont listen to the fans or dont have their best interests at heart. They wanted alcohol to be sold within grounds, and we listened, so they are wrong to say we arent willing to make changes."

Creating a new get-out clause for them at a time when their old ones are really starting to wear thin.

I voted no for the simple reason I remember what it was like before, and we aren't any more civilised than we were then.

Things are better now, because there's no alcohol, bringing it back would bring back the arseholes who saw a fitba match as a boozing session.

I've ran a few pubs and I know that even the most mild mannered of people can change when they've had a few, it just isn't worth it.