Pitch Solution - Giant Cloche

gullane

Driving home from the Hibs match, a gardening enthusiast from the Borders came on the phone in to discuss the Fir Park pitch. He suggested the only proper way to guard against frost was to build protection a few feet above the ground. That's why so many gardeners grow their plants under cloches - mini greenhouses. His question was - why don't football clubs invest in covers that sit a few feet off the ground. They would retain a minimum amount of warm air and prevent the grass from dying.

This jogged my memory back to the 70s. Does anyone else remember Leiceter City putting up a giant balloon over their pitch? They pumped in hot air between the pitch and the balloon to create a roof 12-15 feet off the ground. The players even trained under it.

I'm no gardener but even I can see how a layer of warm air above the ground would prevent the grass from dying.

I'm sure I didn't just imagine this. Does anyone know more?

Just found this -

Leiceter City

I know Motherwell have used covers before. But have they tried a baloon like this?

One thing's for sure - the undersoil heating doesn't work.

Yes, remember the team training under it in during McGhee's first year I believe.

I'd say the USH does work, compared with other years we've had very few call offs.