The Motherwell Defence

trafficlight

if this form keeps up it's going to be hard for levein to ignore them.

In saying that i pretty sure most of us owe big Craggs an apology for writing him off. Sorry Craggs, but your the man, and long may that continue. In fact a big pat on the back to all of our squad for turning around our season. Lets keep it going and give them the reward of a european footie nexy year. Lets take each game as it comes and win 1 nil :mellow: and see where we are. 2nd place is still up for grabs if Celtic get stuffed the morra

I went back on Soccerbase earlier on and couldn't find a better unbeaten run than the one we're on as far back as 1995/96 when I stopped checking, I'd assume it'll be the same for shut outs.

Only if you had went back the season before.

15 games unbeaten in the league from August to December 1994.

We went eight games unbeaten at the tail end of 1999 under Billy Davies. We lost 6-5 to Aberdeen and then didn't lose in the SPL for another two months until Rangers beat us at Fir Park in late December. That run saw us beat Celtic home and away aswell as taking four points off Hearts.

We also had a good unbeaten run under Terry Butcher in 2004/2005 after losing the first two games of the season we then remained unbeaten until mid October.

Dinny forget, we only lost one game under Gannon in the first round of games.

Seriously, if we hadn't had the wobbly spell at Christmas we would be chasing the title!

Exactly and some of the clean sheets we have kept this season were under Gannon too. People seem to forget that because of the disastrous end to his career at well.

I think a huge factor now is - confidence. Just compare Craigan's recent performances to his showing at St Mirren in the League Cup.

In recent games we seem to be first to every 50-50 and all work together as a unit.

In contrast, I think Gannon spent all his time preaching how his game plan was the best - whether you believed it or understood it.

I spoke to Craig Brown tonight and he said our form was all down to HIM!!

I didn't argue !!!

Fair enough :huh:

There's a simple explanation to all this - its because yassin moutaouakil isnae masquerading as a right back any more.

Didn't Yassin feature heavily in our first quarter of fixtures where, IIRC, we only lost once? Admittedly, Hateley is a better right back than Yassin, but to say our current form is solely down to this switch is naive.

Didn't Yassin feature heavily in our first quarter of fixtures where, IIRC, we only lost once? Admittedly, Hateley is a better right back than Yassin, but to say our current form is solely down to this switch is naive.

That comment was meant to be tongue in cheek mate... although having a right back who stays in position is a good starting point for a solid defence imo.

The defence has played well undoubtedly but a lot of credit must go to Keith Lasley and Steve Jennings for providing terrific protective cover so that you don't see very many opposition players being able to make runs through on top of our central defenders. They play like a couple of old-fashioned wing-halves and have been outstanding since Craig Brown and Archie Knox came to the club.

Note to anyone under 40, wing halves was a term once used to describe defensive midfield players. :lol:

I know it was meant toungue in cheek but some of the past great wing halves for Well would be hurt by being called defensive. Charlie Aitken, Cox, Redpath to name three.

I'm sure wing half is a rugby term is it not? I recall the early days , our line ups were cosistently

Goalie, full backs, half backs being right half,centre half and left half and a forward line of outside right (or right wing) inside right,centre forward, inside left and outside left ( or left wing) :D

For me, our shape has been a deciding factor in our resurgent form under Craig Brown. The fact that when you look at our back four now they are in the shape of a back four. Craigan's experience has also been a key factor. There was always to much an element of risk in Gannon's team, in every game, now they seem to defend in the right areas, pass in the right areas, attack in the right areas, and the team seem to be enjoying the football far more!

For me the difference is down to Craig Brown. Remember when he first took charge of Scotland we were powder puff up front but rarely conceded anything. Definitely a defensive minded coach but nothing wrong with that coz if you don't lose goals you don't lose games.