Barriers At East Stand Gates

Larky Mafia

its just another example of folk wearing a security jacket thinking there the ticket when there just a bunch of aresholes.i seen 2 old guys in front of me get searched needless to say both were raging about it 1 of them said hell no be back if that keeps up.some of the stewards at fir park used to be alright but this new lot are a joke they stood back and allowed rangers fans to stand for the whole game and sing there usual pish but they were like flies round shite to stop aberdeen and dundee utd fans putting a flag out across empty seats.so much for the fans being the life blood of the game when they get treated like shite time and time again

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

The reason why there are 'barriers' at the East Stand turnstile was a recommendation from Strathclyde Police to assist in the search for potential controlled containers and/or objects which could be used a "missile".

There has been an increased problem at Fir Park (and away grounds) of items getting into the ground that shouldn't be (bottles etc) which has meant the club have had to tighten up security procedures. Indeed, at our last away game we had an issue that received much coverage in the local and national press.

The barriers are designed to assist the Stewards (who carry out the searches). As is stands, entry to the East Stand can come from both the Fir Park Club end and the Taggarts end which makes it difficult to monitor.

I believe the longest anyone had to queue was about 4/5 minutes. The club would like to thank the fans for their co-operation .Iteresting to note that since the measures have been introduced, I believe there has been a significant reduction in the amount of containers found after the crowds have dispersed and more importantly, no instances of anything been thrown onto the pitch.

Cheers...

and how many instances were there in the hundreds of matches hosting tens of thousands of fans that were hosted before the draconian measures were introduced.

I look forward to standing for 4 or 5 minutes in the torrential rain paying for the privelege

Treat people like troublemakers and you'll get trouble

Folk would be more supportive of it if it was communicated beforehand

If the barriers need to be in place - how about making them T shaped to allow folk to enter from either side as they normally do without forcing them onto the road. that would also mean the stewards would be split 50 / 50 either side and would discourage most of them from blethering to each other at the top of one bottleneck.

Just a suggestion.

These measures wont stop a lighter, a mars bar duo or an empty coffee cup or pie from the catering being launched - that's the things that I've seen launched recently at Fir Park.

Guest 'Flow
and how many instances were there in the hundreds of matches hosting tens of thousands of fans that were hosted before the draconian measures were introduced.

Well, I think we've had two reported cases at Fir Park this season alone! This means the authorties start asking questions about what measures are being taken and you see where things end up!

Cheers...

Well, I think we've had two reported cases at Fir Park this season alone! This means the authorties start asking questions about what measures are being taken and you see where things end up!

Cheers...

would the searches have stopped the two cases?

, so make everyone suffer

but hey enjoy the experience.

much more enjoyable/lots less hassle sitting in the house or pub watching football on the TV

Guest 'Flow
would the searches have stopped the two cases?

In the case of the Rangers game, yes!

Bear in mind Ian, it's not Motherwell Football Club that set Health and Safety regulations. It's not Motherwell Football Club who police themselves in terms of the conduct of fans. It goes way above our head and it's the club who have to comply.

Leeann D and the people in charge are trying to make the matchday experience as pleasant as they can but remember, and it's important to take this into account, a lot (if not the majority) of Health and Safety 'restrictions' (for the want of a better word) is set elsewhere with others forced to comply.

I accept that point about the communication thing - that's been very much taken on board and something we'll deal with in-house (as that's certainly one of the things we can control).

Cheers

I don't see what the fuss is about. Most organisations have their H&S hoops to jump through, and a football club is no different. The only gripe that I had with it was that it must have been costing the club money, but if the overall aim is to cut down the amount of police present at matches, thus saving money, then there's no harm in it. I certainly didn't feel like I waited any longer than usual. If anything, I was in a bit quicker given that the folk coming from the Taggarts direction weren't able to skip the queue like they normally do.

I always sit in the ease stand and have done as long as i've been a motherwell fan.

It's my choice to sit in that stand i do feel as if the east stand support has been singled out for these random searches as no such barriers were in place for the cooper,main stand or the large away stand.

If strathclyde police are making suggestions in the interest of safety, then why is only 25% off the station being policed?

just a thought

I always sit in the ease stand and have done as long as i've been a motherwell fan.

It's my choice to sit in that stand i do feel as if the east stand support has been singled out for these random searches as no such barriers were in place for the cooper,main stand or the large away stand.

If strathclyde police are making suggestions in the interest of safety, then why is only 25% off the station being policed?

just a thought

I assume the barriers were solely in the East as all the turnstyles are relatively close together which prevents those attending the middle gates to be searched. All the other stands have no more than 2 turnstyles beside one another so folk entering the ground can easily be searched.

MFC pay the turnstyle operators who IMO do a good job.

the problem is the new security stewards who dont have a clue whats going on. I worked as a steward at Hamilton and the company knew what to do this mob dont.

I agree, if some communication from the Club before games will certainly keep the peace.

It's not too much of a hassle and these things are neccessary unfortunately. As much as I do object to being searched when entering a football match/gig/etc, when asked "do you have any bottles or objects in your pockets" as I was on Saturday I answered "of course not". As I never would have.

My main gripe will be the slackening (if that's a word) of policies when the biggest sources of trouble roll into town.

And I'm still waiting on the head steward in the South Stand giving me his salary as promised at the Nancy home game!

Coming down from Taggarts going to the Cooper Stand, we had to move out onto the road to get by the stewards who were congregating around the barrier.

When you've got hyped up kids walking down that way, the last thing they'll think of is looking behind to see if there's any traffic (okay there's not much, but it only take one).

I thought they'd closed off the streets around the ground pre and post match?

If they've not, maybe that's something worth looking into other than these barriers, allows fans to queue in an orderly line at seperate gates rather than snaking down towards the Cooper?

Coming down from Taggarts going to the Cooper Stand, we had to move out onto the road to get by the stewards who were congregating around the barrier.

When you've got hyped up kids walking down that way, the last thing they'll think of is looking behind to see if there's any traffic (okay there's not much, but it only take one).

Well said mate. To be honest it's all the more reason that's making Motherwell an absolute joke. It's getting to the stage where we're getting treated like we do at Ibrox or Parkhead. The new set of stewards are a bunch of incompetent tossers who feel they have the power to force there hands onto anyone and take a power trip any time they like.

Also cutting down the policing is stupid. They have more authority than these tits. Imagine them during the 2-1 Skippy Sunday game?! Inside the east stand and outside it! Would just be complete carnage.

Also, did anyone see the steward on Saturday flinging himself at the wee boy in the front row in the 2nd half? Sure the boy went to pick up the ball and Garry Hay who was about to take a throw in swung back at him. Stewards reaction was out of order and he could have hurt the boy.

No wonder crowds are dwindling game by game.

Also, did anyone see the steward on Saturday flinging himself at the wee boy in the front row in the 2nd half? Sure the boy went to pick up the ball and Garry Hay who was about to take a throw in swung back at him. Stewards reaction was out of order and he could have hurt the boy.

No wonder crowds are dwindling game by game.

Seen said incident, and confirm that the steward acted like a total bawbag

The T idea is good with the barriers which would probably split the flow of people into the turnstyles. The practicalities at the East Stand are a nightmare and I would imagine the ideal solution would be for the turnstyles to be a further few yards from the road though that is clearly impractical. I don't mind being searched on the way in but we need to do it sensibly in a way that causes as little inconvenience and danger to supporters as possible and Saturday was endangering more folk than preventing danger. The barriers could start much earlier and search folk there or the road could be closed from 230pm to allow easier access. But the club have had this forced on them because some folk cannot behave (however small a minority that is) and as a fanbase we cannot then take the moral highground.

My problem with all this pish is that the cost of it will be no doubt added to our ticket price, or will be financed by cuts elsewhere in our club.

I can understand it's often not the club that make the rules, but I do feel the club should be making a stand against this type of enforced nonsense.

You can minimise risks of incidents like chucking things onto the park, but you'll never get rid of the risk until you get rid of pies, bovril and stop anyone bringing anything into the stadium.

I don't have any particular problems with the way the stewards have went about their business recently, but I do feel alarmed that there does seem to be more of them.

My bigger worry is that IF (and it's a big if as the club have never confirmed it) they are planning to reduce the amount of police in favour of more stewards then the fans will suffer. The Police will more often than not take a common sense approach to situations within crowds as I am sure they will want neither the paperwork or the cost involved with an arrest, but they always have this in their locker to enforce good behaviour. As a regular concert goer and a regular attendee of away games to Ibrox and Parkhead, you always see one or two jumped up ego maniacs in stewarding teams that spoil things for people for no reason.

I've read a lot of rot on this thread.

Club did this as a preventative measure, Flow mentioned that there had been two incidents already, by doing this if it happens again they can defend themselves adequately as they implemented measures on x/y/z dates. Same way they had the SPL involved all the way through the pitch relaying in the summer and it looks like that may keep us off the hook with respect to fines and all the other penalties that have been discussed.

By demonstrating action it strengthens any defence we may later rely on.

As for the stewarding, when I worked on the turnstiles the stewards were all employed by the club. I remember there was pressure to use an external company but the club wanted to keep things internal (probably due to cost primarily). They have obviously lost the battle.

There will always be jobsworths, those who go on a high-vis power trip and alike. However, on Saturday they were doing what they were asked to do either from Management (as stewarding company may be subject to a fine if SPL/Police take things further) or the club (again may be subject to a fine or criticism).

To those of you who are concerned at walking an extra 20 yards from Taggarts end, dry your eyes.

To those who were delayed a little longer than normal, leave the house 5 minutes earlier, its a Saturday afternoon not Monday morning rush-hour. There is always a bit of banter and warm up to keep you happy.

To those who moan about the food and the prices, I've no time for you at 3pm is halfway between the traditional lunch and dinner times, if you insist on eating then from an overpriced e-coli den, well hell mend you.

The only issues I have with how some of the new stewards behave, the corner of the East stand being cordoned off and heavy handed tactics used too frequently is developing into a "them and us culture".

Only thing club is guilty of in this case is it could have put something on the official website, here and motherwell mad as its evident that employees post on here occasionally.

A bit condecending but interesting nonetheless Ladywell :(

My prediction is that going down this route will eventually become an issue. Everyone understands the need for stewarding and will cooperate if they know what is gong on and why but if the execution is pish then it can be counterproductive.

The heavyhanded stewarding of the away end on non OF days and of the lads in the East Stand is consistently poor.

The double standards when the OF roll into town and what they are allowed to get away with is actually a disgrace.

Speaking to my cousin today and like him I'd like to know what authority they actually have in law as a steward to search people and whether they've been through any type of disclosure.

It could all be handled a bit better - no doubt. The club need to be really sure with each new initiative that it's well thought out, well communicated and won't have the effect of turning people off.

Folk are scunnered with the fitba in general - no matter how good a run we're on - we should be careful that we're no trotting out 'straws that break the camel's back' every couple of weeks