St Mirren Away

ForthThistle

For Azerbaijan maybe. Not Scotland. You must have some fascination wi the boy.

I'm not knocking Reynolds or saying he's a bad player, however, he is simply not good enough for the Scotland team at this moment in time.

He has the potential to be a Scotland player in the future, but are you telling me Mark Reynolds is in your top 2 Scottish central defenders?

Gary Caldwell

Stephen McManus

Christophe Berra

Andy Webster

There could be more, but those players are currently better than Mark Reynolds. He might overtake the players mentioned in the future, but at this moment in time, Mark Reynolds is not "certainly international class"

Take off the C&A tinted specs.

If you think that Caldwell is better than Reynolds, never mind my C&A tinted specs, I suggest you get dark ones and a guide dug.

I have no particular fascination with the boy as you put it, whatever that means nor do I have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to comparing our players against those of other teams.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye that's it, Reynolds is better than Caldwell. The same Gary Caldwell who's won SPL titles, played in the UEFA Cup, Champions League, has numerous Scotland caps, and only a matter of days ago had Fernando Torres in his back pocket.

Away ye go.

If you geniunely believe that Reynolds is better than Gary Caldwell then so be it. that's your opinion. I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on that one.

Gary Caldwell is twice the player Mark Renyolds is. There's a reason Caldwell's plying his trade against Wayne Rooney and Fernando Torres and Mark Reynolds isn't.
He plays in the same team as Titus Bramble and Reynolds is better than him.

It's all about opinions. In MY opinion Caldwell is an absolute donkey and a fraud of a footballer.

I think that's a bit harsh - If only Mark Reynolds could aspire to say - Caldwell's performamance for Scotland vs Norway away! that was a blinder!

(A blinder in the sense that every time he went near the action I covered my eyes)

in your opinion.....
Of course it's my opinion. It would be pretty pointless posting someone else's point of view.

And I made this comparison as someone who used to regularly watch Bramble at Portman Road (when he was actually a decent player). Now he is a bomb-scare and I'd take Reynolds in the 'Well back four over Bramble every time.

What is your counter argument?

If you want to say that Reynolds is a better player than any of the current Scotland Centre backs, the target you should be aiming at is Steven McManus. Even Celtic fans I know don't cut him any slack as he's one of their own. One actually said to me that the real sadnes of John Kennedy's injury was that it gave McManus a chance to masquerade as a centre back...

Of course it's my opinion. It would be pretty pointless posting someone else's point of view.

And I made this comparison as someone who used to regularly watch Bramble at Portman Road (when he was actually a decent player). Now he is a bomb-scare and I'd take Reynolds in the 'Well back four over Bramble every time.

What is your counter argument?

There is no argument to be had weeyin. You originally stated that "Reynolds is better than him" when talking about Titus Bramble. You stated that like it was a fact. Fair doos, you cleared that up in your next post.

Given the choice between Bramble & Reynolds in the Motherwell defence, I would go for Bramble. IMO, he would stroll through the SPL.

Like someone said, it's all about opinions. Obviously my opinion differs from yours.

Finally, yes the St. Mirren game on Wednesday was indeed pish!

It's all about opinions. In MY opinion Caldwell is an absolute donkey and a fraud of a footballer.

Caldwell is a damn fine centre half (home game with France anyone?) but he also has days when he is a one man shambles. In a choice between him and Reynolds - Caldwell every time.

If you want to say that Reynolds is a better player than any of the current Scotland Centre backs, the target you should be aiming at is Steven McManus.

Agree with that entirely. Man isn't good enough for Scotland. Berra and Webster both light years ahead of him in ability. If Reynolds gets called up it will be at McManus's expense and to be honest I think I would have Reynolds ahead of him.

Caldwell is a damn fine centre half (home game with France anyone?) but he also has days when he is a one man shambles. In a choice between him and Reynolds - Caldwell every time.

Surely one cpuld use the same logic and apply it McManus. He was excellent for Scotland away to France and had a fine game for Celtic in the San Siro.

I think McManus,Caldwell and Berra are all of a similar level-half decent but prone to having off days. That's probably why they play for the clubs they do. Reynolds is a tad below this level in my view but must be knocking at the door of a Scotland call-up.

As for Bramble, well, Steve Bruce managed to coax some fine performances out of him when in charge of Wigan. They had a very good defensive record and Bramble was at that heart of that. Haven't seen so much of him this season but it sounds like he may have regressed. Judging players on their spell at Newcastle is dangerous,especially centre-halfs.

Agree with that entirely. Man isn't good enough for Scotland. Berra and Webster both light years ahead of him in ability. If Reynolds gets called up it will be at McManus's expense and to be honest I think I would have Reynolds ahead of him.

Reynolds has been solid for weeks.

Did anyone catch Caldwell's display v's Bolton? - i have to say it puts that Norway one in the shade. They were actually laughing at how bad he was on that review show on Sky yesterday.

Given what we have available to pick. Mark Reynolds has to be in the next Scotland squad.

I'd have him before Kenneth, Caldwell, Wallace and McManus

Reynolds has been solid for weeks.

Did anyone catch Caldwell's display v's Bolton? - i have to say it puts that Norway one in the shade. They were actually laughing at how bad he was on that review show on Sky yesterday.

Did you see what Caldwell did to Torres? B-)

Reynolds may get his shot against Sweden, then again he might not. The fact is Caldwell, McManus, Webster and Berra are in front of him, and I think that is correct.

Did you see what Caldwell did to Torres? B-)

Reynolds may get his shot against Sweden, then again he might not. The fact is Caldwell, McManus, Webster and Berra are in front of him, and I think that is correct.

I find that quite sad Wellfan.

I'm pretty sure my C&A tinted specs are off when I say that probably Berra is the only one of that lot ahead of Reynolds.

The time old addage will be proven when he leaves i.e. he'll become a regular in the squad - like a few before him - he was actually good enough / the self same player during his time here.

Can't argue with that at all. Gary Caldwell is a very good centre back who, unfortunately, has the odd game where everything goes wrong for him.

Don't get me wrong, if Levein is genuinely looking at improving our options in the centre of defence - which is undoubtedly a problem area - then I think he should be looking at drafting in someone like Reynolds for the Sweden friendly. But to suggest he should be anywhere near the starting line-up competatively and ahead of Caldwell, McManus, Berra and Webster is pretty ridiculous at the moment IMO.

Fair enough Jay, but Gary Kenneth ahead of Mark Reynolds?

Oh aye, from what I've seen of Kenneth (which admittedly isn't a lot!), I'd suggest Reynolds should be ahead in the queue. However, I've got to say that the Dundee United fans I've spoken to about Kenneth sound pretty much exactly like Motherwell fans talking about Reynolds.

As I said when Kenneth was first called up, although I didn't think he was technically good enough I could see the logic in that he's a big strong centre half who will actually be able to challenge in the air against big strikers and is pretty no nonsense. Guys like Berra and Caldwell aren't really that kind of centre halves.

It's similiar to calling up Iwelumo IMO. There are strikers who are technically better than him, but when you're picking an international squad you need balance and Levein has shown in the past with de Vries that he wants a target man involved. Therefore, in order to have that type of player involved, guys like Riordan and McCormack miss out.