European Football

GazzyB

We wouldn't be that far later.

As say for example we clinch 5th, and the finalists have already claimed a European place, then we would take roll of the Runners-Up, as we all know.

But, that means teams who finished 3rd and 4td automatically start later in the competition.

And we would begin at the same round as Falkirk did last year (Vaduz of Leichtenstein/Switzerland). Which was the 2nd Qualifying Round and that was when we played Flamurtari, so basically we'd be starting a fortnight after our first leg against Llanelli last season.

Although, with a World Cup this year, it could well be pushed back by another week or two.

Basically, we wouldn't be that much later than we did this season.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the last Non Old Firm Club to be in Europe three years running? I'm thinking Hearts but can't be arsed looking it up - Also who was the last Non Old Firm club to "qualify" for Europe three years running by three different ways too?

I know it is not common.

Who was the last Non Old Firm Club to be in Europe three years running? I'm thinking Hearts but can't be arsed looking it up - Also who was the last Non Old Firm club to "qualify" for Europe three years running by three different ways too?

I know it is not common.

Why would it be 3 different ways? - League Position/Fair Play/League Position

Saturday is make or break. A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would seriously affect our chances of a top 5 finish. Hearts would be 4 away from us with a game in hand (I think). I would probably take a draw right now, but there's no reason why we can't aim for three points. What with Murphy, the Juke, O'Brien and Lasley all ready to go after a midweek rest I think we'll be more than ready for this game. As well as this, we've got a free weekend the following weekend, so a defeat could play on the players' minds for the next 2 weeks, whereas a win would have us buzzing until our next game.

Either way, Saturday is HUGE.

Mon the 'Well.

The quest for 5th place and indeed 3rd or 4th will be hampered more by the 0-0 draws with Accies, St Mirren and Falkirk more than a defeat against Hearts. Still, great to be talking about it rather than matters at the wrong end of the table.

A 3-goal victory on Saturday would put us 3rd having played two more than both Dundee United and Hibs. Their games in hand are Aberdeen (A), Hibs (A) and Hearts (A), Dundee United (H) respectively.

A 3-goal victory on Saturday would put us 3rd having played two more than both Dundee United and Hibs. Their games in hand are Aberdeen (A), Hibs (A) and Hearts (A), Dundee United (H) respectively.

3-0? I'd be over the moon at the moment with 1-0. As stated above a draw isn't a complete disaster either.

The quest for 5th place and indeed 3rd or 4th will be hampered more by the 0-0 draws with Accies, St Mirren and Falkirk more than a defeat against Hearts. Still, great to be talking about it rather than matters at the wrong end of the table.

If we fail to get Europe, I think it will all go back to drawing with nine man Dundee United, drawing with ten men Hamilton Accies, drawing with ten men Rangers*, drawing with ten men Aberdeen more than drawing with Accies 0-0, St Mirren 0-0 and Falkirk 0-0 when down to ten men ourselves.

* due to the penalty miss of course.

I know it is not common.

I think it's Kilmarnock-1997/1998(ECWC),1998/1999(UEFA),1999/2000(UEFA). Hibs have achieved the feat since if you count the Intertoto cup.

No, if two of the teams in the top four of the SPL contest the scottish cup, then the euro spot from that goes to 5th in the SPL

Also, if Hibs and United finish 3rd and 4th and one of them beats Dundee, Raith, Killie or Ross County in the final then would 5th place not qualify above the beaten finalists anyway?? :lol:

apparently not. that hibeejibee boy that seems well clued up on p&b said the other day that the cup runners up still get in if the winners have qualified already.

I'm not so sure. If Hibs qualify as cup winners then the extra place would go to the next highest team in the league which could be us. Unlikely of course but possible. :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's cup finalists over 5th placed team in the league. There was a bit of debate about this when Gretna got into Europe and got pumped by an Irish mob and the SFA wanted it changed but I think UEFA just reiterated that the cup runners up get the spot. (IIRC)

I'm pretty sure it's cup finalists over 5th placed team in the league. There was a bit of debate about this when Gretna got into Europe and got pumped by an Irish mob and the SFA wanted it changed but I think UEFA just reiterated that the cup runners up get the spot. (IIRC)

Slightly different in Gretna's case because Hearts had already qualified for the Champions League.

I think its to do with where the cup winner finishes in the league, as the cup winner enters the competition later than 4th place will, so if the winner finishes fourth, they take the cup winners place and the position for 4th is handed to 5th. If the winner has qualified for the Champions league, then it goes to the runner-up.

(though, according to wiki, the cup winner enters after 3rd place, so if Hibs or Dundee United win the cup, on current standings, the Europa league spot for 4th would go to us)

this was posted by on P&B by the biggest fitba rules geek in scotland.

"It's also interesting to note how many pundits and fans now talk about "thank God the cup runner-up slot has been abolished". It hasn't, by the way, Gordon Smith was twice laughed out of UEFA Council on the issue. This is going to be a major shock for some people, if Dundee/Raith/Ross County or even for that matter Kilmarnock end up qualifying for Europe now."

i'd take his word for it.

Fact is that the runner up spot in the cup gets the Europa league slot.

If that happens to be one of the 4 teams currently above us then if we stay in 5th - we get that place.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that Hibs, Celtic, Rangers/DDee Utd and preferably Raith Rovers get through to the semis. Normally that would happen, but since we are hoping it does I half expect Killie to beat Celtic and/or Ross Co to beat Hibs :blink:

Odds on Celtc v Raith, Hibs/Ross County v Rangers/United?

Anyway, whatever, we are good enough to go for third. Hibs are stuttering badly, United aint exactly firing on all guns (remember how they scraped past todays opponents a week ago). Of the three, we are the team looking likelier I'd say.

Odds on Celtc v Raith, Hibs/Ross County v Rangers/United?

Anyway, whatever, we are good enough to go for third. Hibs are stuttering badly, United aint exactly firing on all guns (remember how they scraped past todays opponents a week ago). Of the three, we are the team looking likelier I'd say.

I would be over the bloody moon with this draw!! :rolleyes: As long as it isn't a Rangers vs Celtic semi-final. That could be a disaster.